Windows 10: Cant install 64bit only allows 32bit

Discus and support Cant install 64bit only allows 32bit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a slight issue. I have downloaded Windows 10 and created multiple USB's using Rufus/Windows7 USB Tool/Even The Win 10 Creation tool, however... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wesd84, Aug 6, 2015.

1. wesd84 Win User

Cant install 64bit only allows 32bit

I have a slight issue.

I have downloaded Windows 10 and created multiple USB's using Rufus/Windows7 USB Tool/Even The Win 10 Creation tool, however everything time I try to install using UEFI the USB drive is never detected therefore it can't boot. I change it to legacy and it does boot and will only install the 32bit version...

I have downloaded the 64bit image only numerous times, created it with either with one of the above methods, even with Rufus settings correct, I can never install the 64bit version. As a test I did the same steps for Windows 8 media and it works fine under UEFI and install the 64bit version.

UEFI is selected in my bios, secure boot is off (even tried it with it on) - Even burn them all to DVD to no avail.

Has anyone else had issues doing a clean install with the 64bit media. *Mad

PS I even install the 64bit version of 8 then tried to run the setup within the ISO of 4 different downloads of either both images and the 64bit only image but all state that I need to insert the 64bit media and setup can not install.

Does anyone have any ideas??

:)

wesd84, Aug 6, 2015

2. win10 cant install 64bit only allows 32bit

Hi,

having serious difficulties with w10

I have an i7-4790 processor at 4ghz, two SSD's one 250gb the other nearly 2tb, an nividia gtx 970, gigabyte z97mx gaming 5 motherboard

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 recently. The upgrade er downgraded from 8.1 64bit to 10 32bit. This means that I have 3.1 or so gb of RAM available of a possible 16 and other annoying consequences.

I have tried reinstalling 8.1 from a disc. I get the dreaded 0x8007025d error code at about 90% installation. Likewise if I use a stick with w10 64 bit on it. likewise if put an ISO file on a disc.

I can happily reboot from a usb stick with w10 32 bit on it.

I did once manage to get 8.1 back from the disc but it catastrophically failed (blue screen after blue screen) about a week later and would not reinstall (see above) but I can happily reboot w10 32bit.

The machine is definitely 64 bit compatible because I have checked. I have also checked memory which is fine.

Have tried three separate "help" agents who have not helped and spoken to two different level 2 support agents somewhere in India who insisted I must be doing something wrong, rather than actually try to resolve the problem. Didn't really appreciate that.
    Was faultlessly polite throughout.

Aaaaaaaaaargh. expensive kit not functioning.

CGreenwood, Aug 6, 2015
  3. win10 cant install 64bit only allows 32bit

The picture looks fine.

Right click the panel which says Disk 1 to choose GPT format so you can format the full drive for data in Disk Mgmt.

Removing RAM was a common early installation problem in Windows 7 before it was corrected in SP1. Once it was removed to allow install, user was able to reinstall it and had no further problems. Maybe such luck will prevail here too since it's a similar
    scenario. Please let us know.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 6, 2015
  4. genet Win User

Step One:

Create a 64-bit Windows 8.1 USB flash drive and then clean install Windows 8.1 64-bit.

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 -> link

Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

How do you select UEFI Boot Mode.

The UEFI firmware settings determines what type of boot devices are available in the boot menu: UEFI, Legacy BIOS (aka CSM), or both types of boot devices.

Normally, you do not need to turn Secure Boot off to install Windows 8/8.1/10 in UEFI Boot Mode. You only need to turn Secure Boot off to install Windows 7.

You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your UEFI firmware settings.

- Connect your Windows 8/10 64-bit USB flash drive (Note: FAT32 file system) or insert your Windows 8/10 64-bit DVD.
    - Restart the computer.
    - Press the correct key to enter the boot menu (Esc, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12).
    - Select to boot from the "UEFI: USB/DVD device name" (see screenshot below).

Cant install 64bit only allows 32bit [​IMG]

Step Two:

Create a 64-bit Windows 10 USB flash drive.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Step Three:

To Upgrade to Windows 10 with USB Installation Media

genet, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Did you use the 64 bit version of the MediaCreationTool?

Your system is UEFI, is the drive GPT?

Enter diskpart then list disk from a Elevated Command Prompt to see:

Code: C:\Users\Owner>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601 Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: SHOP-WIN7 DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 74 GB 6144 KB Disk 1 Online 74 GB 1024 KB Disk 2 Online 465 GB 3072 KB DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart...[/quote] As you can see, the computer I'm using is not GPT.

Ztruker, Aug 6, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    I can't guess what your problem might be.

I have clean installed 10 Pro X64 from a USB flash drive. I prepared the drive by having the Media Creation Tool download/create the .iso. I set up the flash drive using diskpart (formatted FAT32). I mounted the .iso in Win 8.1 and copied its contents to the flash drive.

In the clean install process, I deleted the partitions from the boot drive and let the Windows installer make new ones.

I'm not sure how universal this is, but to do a UEFI install, the flash drive has to be FAT32. The drive also appears twice in the boot drive listings, and I have to be careful to select the UEFI one. (I don't really understand why.)

bobkn, Aug 6, 2015
  7. genet Win User
    If you select Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (not marked UEFI in the boot menu).

- If your hard drive is blank, the Windows setup program creates the following partitions on your hard drive (see screenshot below).

Partition table:
    - MBR (Master Boot Record)

Two partitions:
    - System Reserved - The Boot Configuration Data (BCD).
    - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

If you select UEFI Boot Mode (marked UEFI in the boot menu).

- If your hard drive is blank, the Windows setup program creates the following partitions on your hard drive (see screenshot below).

Partition table:
    - GPT (GUID Partition Table)

Four partitions:
    - Recovery - The Windows Recovery Environment tools. This partition does not exist in Windows 7.
    - System (EFI system) - The Boot Configuration Data (BCD).
    - MSR (Reserved) - Microsoft Reserved.
    - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

Note: The MSR (Reserved) partition is not visible within Disk Management utility, but it is listed with command line utility (diskpart).

genet, Aug 6, 2015
  8. helper Win User

Did you get the error as "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks"?

I encountered this before and resolved by converting the disk from MBR to GPT. I used gdisk and you can download from GPT fdisk download | SourceForge.net
    You should have a 32 bit OS running and just run this utility with an admin command prompt. After this conversion the 32 bit OS will not be usable but anyway you can clean install the 64 bit OS. Good thing about this utility is it convert MBR to GPT without data loss (for my case I have a data drive).
    Follow the steps:
    1. When prompted for type of device: \\.\physicaldrive#, where # is the disk number in Disk Management.
    2. Command (? for help): r, where r is recovery and transformation options (experts only).
    3. Type y for yes.
    4. Command (? for help): f, where f is load MBR and build fresh GPT from it.
    5. Type y for yes.
    6 Command (? for help): m, where m is return to main menu.
    7. Command (? for help): w, where w is write table to disk and exit.

Windows will prompt a screen and wait for it to restart. The current 32 bit OS will become unusable and just install the 64 bit OS. You may have to delete the disk drive where you want to install the OS and then create a new one during the installation.

Hope this helps.

helper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant install 64bit only allows 32bit - Similar Threads - Cant install 64bit

2. Installation of 32bit on 64bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation of 32bit on 64bit OS: Hi. Would like to inquire if I will download a 32bit on my 64bit laptop will my files and data be erased? I am trying to connect a vinyl cutter machine with my current 64bit laptop but it notifies my that USB cable cannot be recognized. Upon checking the machine is compatible...
  3. Installation of 32bit on 64bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation of 32bit on 64bit OS: Hi. Would like to inquire if I will download a 32bit on my 64bit laptop will my files and data be erased? I am trying to connect a vinyl cutter machine with my current 64bit laptop but it notifies my that USB cable cannot be recognized. Upon checking the machine is compatible...
  4. 32bit backup to 64bit os?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    32bit backup to 64bit os?: hi, i need some advice please. i have two notebooks. notebook A has win10 home 32bit. i made a full system image backup of the hdd with macrium. notebook B has win10 pro 64bit and enough free space to accommodate the backup from A, in fact it only has the os and some minor...
  5. Windows 10 32bit to 64bit?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 32bit to 64bit?: I have Windows 10 Pro 32bit installed on my system, I do have a 64bit -3.1Ghz. processor. Can I reinstall the OS using 64bit? Thanks in advance. Best regards, Vic...
  6. Update 32bit to 64bit?

Update 32bit to 64bit?: Hi, Mal wanted to ask if you can "update" to 64bit on a PC that has 32bit Windows 10. Can you? If so, how? If no, OK. 32bit auf 64bit updaten?
  7. Window 10 32bit to 64bit installation

Window 10 32bit to 64bit installation: Can I run and install media creation tool for window 10 in the same pc where I downloaded it and want to install the latest window10 version in same pc???...
  8. W10 32bit-64bit

W10 32bit-64bit: I have the Media Creation Tool to go from 32-bit to 64bit. Following various youtube videos, I restart my computer and hit F10 to get to the Bios Setup Utilitiy and can't go any further. Help!...
  9. Win10 32bit upgrade to 64bit

Win10 32bit upgrade to 64bit: Have Compaq Presario CQ61 happily running Win10 32 bit on X64 processor. Installed extra Ram and tried to reinstall Win 10 64 Bit but get message saying will not run on this device. Have tried it from USB and DVD during boot cycle but no good. Have BIOS is set to start from...
  10. Windows 10 32bit to 64bit

Windows 10 32bit to 64bit: installed 32bit but need and have capacity for 64bit -is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-32bit-to-64bit/f8817131-cb63-4a7f-9fda-f3318788208b