Windows 10: Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support

Discus and support Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all. This is going to be long, but this is a problem that I've been suffering for some years. Some users suggested a temporal patch some months... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alejandro López López, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support

Hi all.

This is going to be long, but this is a problem that I've been suffering for some years. Some users suggested a temporal patch some months ago, but it's not longer working and my laptop is becoming unusable.

What problem did I have almost two years ago?

For some reason, when the feature update 1803 was rolling, my computer could not finish installing it. The computer always froze at the same step.

I tried everything that was suggested in several forums (including the manufacturer's website and Reddit). That included:

• downloading the update as a standalone installer
    • installing the update using the Windows Update Assistant
    • stopping the Windows Update service, deleting all the files in Windows/SoftwareDistribution, and restarting the service
    • disabling or uninstalling some peripherals
    • checking that all the drivers were up to date
    • reinstalling the drivers of several components or installing previous versions of these drivers
    • scanning the file system for flaws
    • running the Windows Update troubleshooter
    • running the disk cleanup tool, selecting everything related to updates
    • cleaning the registry
    • removing unnecessary files
    • defragmenting the hard drive

During the troubleshooting process, I found that the Windows update saves a log in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log. After each attempt, the log always reached the same line:

Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ff9c714f-b864-4f43-ae39-ec07d7385abe}: Waiting for device 'pci\ven_1002&dev_6600&subsys_194d103c&rev_00\4&2f7847b&0&0008' to be re-installed.

which, according to some research, corresponded to the step where it tried to install the drivers for the AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M graphics card. As I stated above, some of the solutions I tried included disabling this device or installing different versions of the drivers.

What about the previous feature updates?

I had the same problem. I solved it every time doing a clean installation of Windows, but I got tired of having to reinstall and configure everything every few months.

What is the problem? Just don't install the update

That is the solution some people gave me. But I couldn't. My computer was stuck in an endless loop where:

• It tried to install the update, but failed. This process spanned about 4 hours.
    • It restored the system to the previous status. This lasted 1 hour.
    • I had one or two days in which I could use the computer normally.
    • Then the computer become very slow. This meant that it was downloading the update again.
    • And then my computer forced me to install it, going back to step 1.

The temporal solution

Finally, one of the replies to my posts gave me a solution: using the Windows Update Hider Tool.

Windows stopped forcing to install the update and my computer was fully usable again.

What happened a few weeks later?

Windows asked me again to install the update 1803, which made me very angry. I feared that the problem was back.

But this time, for some reason, it worked!

What happened since then?

I have lived happily with my computer since then.

Some months ago, I realized that Windows did not ask to install the last feature updates (1809 and 1903). The regular small updates are being downloaded and installed without problems.

Two weeks ago, I got a notification from Windows Update: it said that my installed Windows version (1803) was going to lose support soon, and that I needed to update my system.

I decided to give it a try, and downloaded the installer for the feature update 1903. But it failed again, freezing in the same step where the previous updates failed.

And since then, the problems have come back. My computer is stuck again in the cycle of trying to update > failing > restoring the system > downloading again > trying to update > etc.

What do I want?

I want to find a permanent solution for this problem, while keeping my Windows updated and supported, without having to make a clean installation every few months.

Any solution will be welcome.

Has anything changed since the previous round?

Just one thing. I changed my HDD for an SSD, so each cycle is faster. Each update attempt is only ~1.5 hours long, the system restores in one minute, and it doesn't lag when it downloads the update.

Some additional information

These are the post where I asked for help in the past in other forums, including the suggested solutions:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-10-unable-to-install-update-1803/m-p/6743913

https://old.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8zlocg/windows_10_unable_to_install_update_1803_or_any/

(I didn't try Microsoft Answers then because I was discouraged after I got the first replies in those sites).

System information

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-CA6SPE0
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP ProBook 470 G0
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU H0V85EA#ABE
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68IRF Ver. F.70, 11/04/2019
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 144.15
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.1006"
    Username DESKTOP-CA6SPE0\alexl
    Time Zone Romance Summer Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.85 GB
    Available Physical Memory 3.84 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 11.2 GB
    Page File Space 8.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

Alejandro López López, Sep 19, 2019

2. Windows Feature Update 1903

Hi Sara209

Greetings! I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. The steps which you have undertaken to block updates won't work for any feature update. Feature updates need to be blocked temporarily by using different steps.

But, I will suggest that you should not try to stop 1903 feature update. Let it happen.

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.

Vijay_Verma, Sep 19, 2019
  3. S-and-S Win User
    Feature update 1903, Is it safe to install?

The way to find out if it's safe to install v.1903 - or any feature update - is to consult Microsoft's own website.

On its website, Microsoft has a complete list of known bugs as well as the progress of any fixes. You can review the bugs and decide whether or not they might apply to your computer. Not every bug affects every configuration.

With all due respect to the many helpers here, I prefer to rely on hard information rather than opinions, however well-considered.

Here is
    Microsoft's official list for v.1903

Sometimes it's not so easy to understand Microsoft's technical descriptions. Fortunately, a search of the internet will provide lots of explanation. For example, here is an explanation from

The Windows Club

My computer is 9 years old. The v.1903 update took 1 hour and 29 minutes from beginning to end.

S-and-S, Sep 19, 2019
  4. Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support

B3 Phenom support

I checked gigabyte's site on my GA-M57 and it didn't say anything about b3 stepping update, but all of the x3 chips are b3 steppings, so just use the x3 support bios if available.

OzzmanFloyd120, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support

1. Can't install feature update 1903 and I'm going to lose support - Similar Threads - Can't install feature

2. I'm going to lose my mind with the updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm going to lose my mind with the updates: [ATTACH] I have the 1607 version and I want to upgrade to the latest one so I can use the power toys, but when the time comes, my pc freezes between 17% and 15%. I don't know what to do anymore, please help :( I had to pull the cable to get it out submitted by...
  3. HELP! Losing work update 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP! Losing work update 1903: Hello All I'm desperate for help. I've posted about this before, but I'm still at a loss. My Win 10 Pro computer keeps trying to install update 1903, which simply will not install. I checked Windows Update, and my Thinkpad W530 has tried and failed to install this...
  4. Can't install Feature Update 1903 or 1909

Can't install Feature Update 1903 or 1909: I'm running Windows 10 version 1809 and I've tried numerous times to Download & Install versions 1903 and 1909. They download okay, however, when I try to install they get to a certain point and then I get a message that computer has to undo changes and reverts back to...
  5. Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903 not installing

Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903 not installing: Why is it that the Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903 repeatedly fails to successfully download and install on my PC? Each day, when I check for updates, the download status is indicated as Pending Download. After a while, it says : Downloading 0% but when the...
  6. Can't install Windows 1903 update.

Can't install Windows 1903 update.: Hello, So I've been trying to update to Windows 1903 version for a few days now, and I've been receiving the same error. It crashes at 60% during installation, says one or some components could not be correctly installed, please try again. I have done pretty much...
  7. Feature update 1903, Is it safe to install?

Feature update 1903, Is it safe to install?: I recently had problems downloading the feature update 1903, then had it fixed. but now it says to install it. Im questioning weather to install it or not because of my past experience....
  8. Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1903 will not install

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1903 will not install: I 've been trying to install this update for weeks, wasting hours of my time. I've tried just about everything suggested. It will get to the point of restarting and installing updates reaching about 28% and then restarts saying "undoing changes made to your computer". I was...
  9. feature update 1903

feature update 1903: Hi all. Having tried to install this update yet again it freezes @ 48% on install. I have run an iso file from m/soft to install which was done as a offline installation with A/virus disabled temporary. this has happened four times now. Do I need this update?...
  10. When I'm going to get this feature?

When I'm going to get this feature?: I want the new Settings page for the 1903 update, I installed it but I don't see it on the settings page.. When I'm going to get it? Also If I'm on desktop with a external monitor can I use the new 1903 Slider?...