Windows 10: Can't install from USB drive

Discus and support Can't install from USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tiagocnp5, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tiagocnp5 Win User

Can't install from USB drive

Hello guys,
    So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with.
    I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems..
    The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update.
    But now I want to completely format the disk and install a new version of Windows 10.
    So I put the iso (one that I have used in many other computers) in the USB drive using Rufus (settings as MBR partition for bios and UEFI/formated as NTFS) and set bios to boot via usb.
    The computer boots and then a screen appears saying "press any key to boot from USB". After I press, a screen appears with the windows logo and the rolling dots moving. Then this disappears to a black screen and nothing else happens.

Things that I have done so far and didn't work:
    -Rufus settings gpt partition for UEFI/fat32
    -use Microsoft media creation tool
    -use windows 7 usb/dvd download tool
    - using an only 32bits iso
    - different USB drives

I also tried a different approach, going to the troublehost menu and try to "reset this pc". What happens is exactly the same, after reboot goes to Windows logo and then back screen and nothing happens! This happens when I click almost every option in the troublehost menu...

I'm really struggling with this, appreciate any help
    Can't install from USB drive [​IMG]
    thanks

:)

tiagocnp5, Nov 6, 2017

2. Can't install from USB drive

Hi,

The issue you're experiencing might be due to a faulty hardware or corrupted software. For us to further assist you, we'd like to ask if have you tried checking the USB drive to other computers if it is working properly?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try recreate the bootable media by downloading the ISO files. Check the article below and follow the instructions provided.

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How
    to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 6, 2017
  3. tiagocnp5 Win User

Hello guys,

So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with.

I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems..

The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update.

But now I want to completely format the disk and install a new version of Windows 10.

So I put the iso (one that I have used in many other computers) in the USB drive using Rufus (settings as MBR partition for bios and UEFI/formated as NTFS) and set bios to boot via usb.

The computer boots and then a screen appears saying "press any key to boot from USB". After I press, a screen appears with the windows logo and the rolling dots moving. Then this disappears to a black screen
    and nothing else happens.

Things that I have done so far and didn't work:

-Rufus settings gpt partition for UEFI/fat32

-use Microsoft media creation tool-use windows 7 usb/dvd download tool

- using an only 32bits iso

- different USB drives

I also tried a different approach, going to the troublehost menu and try to "reset this pc". What happens is exactly the same, after reboot goes to Windows logo and then back screen and nothing happens!
    This happens when I click almost every option in the troublehost menu...

I'm really struggling with this, appreciate any help
    Can't install from USB drive [​IMG]
    thanks

tiagocnp5, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Can't install from USB drive

Hi tiagocnp5. Welcome to the TenForums @tiagocnp5

Please follow this tutorial for a clean install. Let the Media Creation tool create the USB key. Note BIOS settings mentioned in tutorial.

Clean Install Windows 10

Is your BIOS set to boot UEFI? If so your OS disk (HDD or SSD) must be GPT.

On the first screen of install, Shift + F10 then enter the following. This assumes there is no required data on disk and you have the right drive.

diskpart
    List disk
    select disk 0 (ensure zero is where you want to install)
    clean
    Convert gpt (if required for UEFI)
    exit
    exit

If machine had 10 on it already when asked for key click I don't have product key. Windows will activate on its own assuming no major changes.

Caledon Ken, Nov 6, 2017
  5. tiagocnp5 Win User
    Thanks for your inputs,
    So I've created the USB drive using the Media Creation Tool.
    On the target PC I disable Fast Boot but there is no Secure Boot option, and I set the boot priority to boot from usb.
    I follow the tutorial but I can't never get past Step 3, after usb boot, I only get the windows logo and then a black screen.

"Is your BIOS set to boot UEFI? If so your OS disk (HDD or SSD) must be GPT."
    I don't really know how to answer this, but i can't write those commands as i never get to the first screen of install, as I said before all I get is a black screen.

tiagocnp5, Nov 7, 2017
  6. What kind of machine is this, what is motherboard and what CPU is present. Was you old system 32 bits and did you download 32 bit version. Media creator will download by defualt what ever the host machine is.

Please disconnect all USB devices not needed for boot and disconnect all drives not required to install OS.

Does this machine have integrated graphics and a video card? Enable integrated and remove video card for now.

Might even be an idea to restore defaults BIOS settings and disable overclock (some boards are set to auto overclock.)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  7. tiagocnp5 Win User
    The windows version running now is 64 bits. The machine from witch I hosted media creation toll is also 64 bits. With Rufus I tried installing a only 32 bits version but also didn't work with the same problem.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    Motherboard: MSI Ms-7236
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V5.00

I've tried to reset to default bios setting already and there is no overclock option. About the graphics card i really don't know that.

tiagocnp5, Nov 7, 2017
  8. Can't install from USB drive

When I search that board it takes me to 945PL Neo3, Strike a bell?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  9. tiagocnp5 Win User
    No, the information only says MSI Ms-7236

tiagocnp5, Nov 8, 2017
  10. tiagocnp5 Win User
    Ok, so following a suggestion I wiped the disk clean using dban and tryed again, now with the disk without anything installed.
    Now I boot from usb and the windows logo appears and gets stuck there. I left it alone for a few hours and then the screen was all black.

tiagocnp5, Nov 8, 2017
  11. Thanks. when i search that number MSI Ms-7236 it takes me to the 945 Neo5. Without some confirmation using this BIOS is not recommended.

So if you could go back into your BIOS and perform a reset or what some call load defaults.

Lets try booting from a CD. Can you create this cd/dvd and boot from it?

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    Try booting from different media which gives you the option of a command prompt. I've had similar problems and booted from a Windows 8 retail install disk then selected Repair Your Computer and navigated to the Command Prompt. From there I inserted the Windows 10 FCU USB install disk and ran setup.exe in the /sources folder which gives you more options than the top level setup.exe.

Steve C, Nov 9, 2017
  13. tiagocnp5 Win User

I'm having some doubts about what I should do.I had already tried to create a dvd with the windows iso from the media creation tool and the result was the same. Stuck at the windows logo.
    I don't have any more dvds so I tried using the usb drive to put the iso Bootabe Rescue Disk and boot from it but the result was the same. I didn't really understand the steps that are described on the link (1-Create a FAT32 > 2GB - 32GB < Partition at the end of your drive
    2) Copy the contents (Files) from the Rescue Media ISO to FAT32 partition....) as now I don't have any operating system installed I don't know how to do this.

tiagocnp5, Nov 9, 2017
  14. Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  15. tiagocnp5 Win User
    I downloaded Win14393PESE_x64 ISO v170116 and follwed that link to create a bootable usb exactly. When i boot this message appears:
    "an operating system wasn't found try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system". The only step with an option on that lisk is to format as ntfs or fat32, i've tried both and the result is the same.

tiagocnp5, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't install from USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  3. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation

can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation: i change BIOS to boot from usb and no problem with that, but windows installation can't progress, just black screen. What's my problem ? Do i need BIOS update ? If yes, i'm dead, can't find any new firmware for my bios. I'm stuck at version 1709. When i Restart after...
  7. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?: Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online...
  8. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  9. Install from USB partitioned drive?

Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...
  10. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001