Windows 10: Can't install from USB drive

Discus and support Can't install from USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Please go back through the instructions on making USB bootable. I think you missed step for marking partition active. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tiagocnp5, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Can't install from USB drive

Please go back through the instructions on making USB bootable. I think you missed step for marking partition active.

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  2. tiagocnp5 Win User

I think it was ok the first time but i did it again just to be sure and i took a screenshot:

Can't install from USB drive [​IMG]

Then copy the .iso file to the usb and boot from usb.
    Same error.

tiagocnp5, Nov 10, 2017
  3. If you are booting UEFI the fs=ntfs should be fs=fat32.

There is a box with this information in write up.

4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't install from USB drive

As @Caledon Ken stated, it needs to be fs=fat32 not ntfs. In addition you do not copy the ISO file to the USB flash drive. You must extract the contents of the ISO file to the flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2017
  5. tiagocnp5 Win User
    I have not yet understood if it should UEFI or not, or how can I check that. So i made two pendrives one with ntfs and one with fat32. The problem was that I didn't extract the contents as Navy said.
    Now i got two situations.
    -> with the NTFS drive i got this error. If i press F8 or F10 the screen just flashes and doen't do anything else

-> FAT32 drive , i get the windows logo and then black screen

tiagocnp5, Nov 10, 2017
  6. Okay. Sorry please update your specs but in meantime what kind of machine is this and or what is the Motherboard.

Did you shut off Secure Boot in Bios and Fast Boot. (Recognize these might be new requests.)

Do you have the original media from when you bought machine?

What USB ports are you using, please use USB2 and one that is connected to Motherboard.

Ken

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The FAT32 drive with the partition marked as Active will boot in both legacy BIOS and UEFI computers. That's why we recommend doing it that way. It is universal.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2017
  8. tiagocnp5 Win User

So if Fat32 is universal I will use Fat32.

Machine is a desktop pc with motherboard MSI MS-7236.

I disabled fast boot. There is no Secure boot option in Bios.
    I don't have original media.
    The ports are usb2. The ones I was using were not conneced directly to the motherboard.
    I did a new test with a usb port connected to the motherboard and with usb formated as fat32.
    After I boot i got this screen for about 10 minutes and then black screen.

tiagocnp5, Nov 13, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    His MB is about 10 year old so let's not talk about UEFI. his BLUE SCREEN also refers to Winload.exe which is standard for MBR.

Hers's the manual of your MB.

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2017
  10. Thanks topgundcp.

Just to confirm board name tiagocnp5 please look between these two expansion slots for board name, take a picture. I circled in red.

That grey object is hiding board name. I came to the same name as topgundcp, post #9 but a different one in post#3, Let's see the printed label.

Caledon Ken, Nov 13, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    @Caledon Ken

Not sure what does it gonna help ? The manual clearly stated the board model is MS-7236 V2.X using 945P/945PL Chipset. His board is so old and I don't think it will work.

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2017
  12. Thanks. I did not opening manual and when I searched I got a different board, same series. Before suggesting a BIOS update I wanted to be absolutely certain.

13. tiagocnp5 Win User

Here is the photo you needed:

Can you tell me what are the nexts steps?

tiagocnp5, Nov 13, 2017
  14. Thank you. So a slight variation in the board but it does yield significant differences in downloads.

If you go to MSI.com you can look up your board. If you dig enough the most recent BIOS seems to be version 5.xx. Now there is no where to load this or the utility to install it. Other boards in the series do have BIOS files. Putting the wrong BIOS on a machine is a high risk endeavour.

The Neo5 Bios versions start at 11.x.

Can you boot to your BIOS and see what is the current version number.

We are very likely getting to topgundcp's conclusion, if I understood, the board likely does not support Win 10.

First lets see what BIOS version you are using?

15. tiagocnp5 Win User
    Bios version is American Megatrends Inc. V5.00.
    Previously I had windows 10 running on this pc. It upgraded from win 7 withy that free update.

I searched msi website and it must be one of these:
    MSI Global
    Not sure which one. But do I need to have the OS installed in order to use the update utility?

tiagocnp5, Nov 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't install from USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  3. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation

can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation: i change BIOS to boot from usb and no problem with that, but windows installation can't progress, just black screen. What's my problem ? Do i need BIOS update ? If yes, i'm dead, can't find any new firmware for my bios. I'm stuck at version 1709. When i Restart after...
  7. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?: Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online...
  8. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  9. Install from USB partitioned drive?

Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...
  10. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001