Windows 10: Can't install from USB drive

Discus and support Can't install from USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wouldn't worry about the BIOS. The Neo BIOS version for your board was version 5 so you have the latest. Installing a BIOS from another board is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tiagocnp5, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Can't install from USB drive

I wouldn't worry about the BIOS. The Neo BIOS version for your board was version 5 so you have the latest. Installing a BIOS from another board is really not recommended.

Here is how I think this has to play out.

There appears to be an incompatibility between the absolute latest version of Windows 10 and that board. So I would try creating an ISO or USB key for V1607. maybe you were on V1703 but I'd go back to V1607 and start there.

This is a link to a thread, from there it links you to another thread. I gave you the original starting point so you can read context.

Need safe 1511 ISO

So try installing V1607.

Now this plan may not have a happy ending. If you can get 1607 or 1703 to run but not 1709 you may be better off staying on Windows 7 as support does not end until January 2020.

Hope this helps.

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  2. tiagocnp5 Win User

I tried 1607 and it didin't work. So I installed win 7 and it worked *Smile
    At least now I can use the PC. Is there a way to upgrade to 10 now, or should I leave it in 7?

tiagocnp5, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Since you now have expertise in getting 7 back on you could try try running setup from a USB thumb drive.

I think the odds are it will not work but you can try.

Now I'm guessing but... your video card is likely very old and as your screen goes black in the boot I wonder if Windows is just not finding a suitable driver. Take note of the driver you are using in Windows and if you should try a clean install again load that driver as part of the custom install.

This will continue to be an issue, next major Feature update it will be reset and you will be in this same spot.

Myself I would leave it alone. Win 7 is supported until January 2020.

Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Nov 18, 2017
  4. tiagocnp5 Win User

Can't install from USB drive

Ok, I think it will just leave it in 7 for now.
    Thanks to all for your help. *Wink

tiagocnp5, Nov 19, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would make an image of the working Windows 7 and try the upgrade to Windows 10. If it fails, restore the Windows 7 image and you've lost nothing but a little time.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't install from USB drive

1. Can't install from USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  3. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation

can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation: i change BIOS to boot from usb and no problem with that, but windows installation can't progress, just black screen. What's my problem ? Do i need BIOS update ? If yes, i'm dead, can't find any new firmware for my bios. I'm stuck at version 1709. When i Restart after...
  7. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?: Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online...
  8. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  9. Install from USB partitioned drive?

Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...
  10. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001