Windows 10: Cant install games onto my M drive

Discus and support Cant install games onto my M drive in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hello, So I recently reset my computer because of an unrelated issue but, since then I haven't been able to install games onto my other drives. I've... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by CoolerMrAwesomeFace, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Cant install games onto my M drive

Hello,

So I recently reset my computer because of an unrelated issue but, since then I haven't been able to install games onto my other drives. I've tried a lot of fixes and workarounds but none have worked, is there any way to do this without reformating the drive? Otherwise, though I'm completely stumped on what to do.

Cant install games onto my M drive ca87af12-adac-426d-bc56-f0b45d3b306b?upload=true.gif

:)

CoolerMrAwesomeFace, Dec 10, 2020

2. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Dec 10, 2020
  3. little cat, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Cant install games onto my M drive

replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

Cant install games onto my M drive

1. Cant install games onto my M drive - Similar Threads - Cant install games

2. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive: Hello.My C drive for my computer is puny compared to the D drive, I want to install Doom eternal, but can't because my c drive doesnt have the space to be on the c drive,. And I can't find where I can change the Install directory so i can Download it directly on my D drive....
  3. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive: Hello.My C drive for my computer is puny compared to the D drive, I want to install Doom eternal, but can't because my c drive doesnt have the space to be on the c drive,. And I can't find where I can change the Install directory so i can Download it directly on my D drive....
  4. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.

Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.: Having an issue were i am unable to install onto my D drive through XBOX App and Microsoft Store, Issue only happens when trying to download Gamepass related games, Microsoft store only asks me where to install on non Gamepass. Have done all troubleshooting otherwise found on...
  6. Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.: Having an issue were i am unable to install onto my D drive through XBOX App and Microsoft Store, Issue only happens when trying to download Gamepass related games, Microsoft store only asks me where to install on non Gamepass. Have done all troubleshooting otherwise found on...
  7. I cant install a game I bought on Xbox onto my PC

I cant install a game I bought on Xbox onto my PC: I previously bought Minecraft windows 10 edition on my Xbox back in 2017 and am now trying to install it on my PC via the Microsoft store but when I try to install it I only get the option to download it on my Xbox and not my PC....
  8. Cant install games onto my ext. drive

Cant install games onto my ext. drive: So I've posted about this 2 other times, both times the person helping just disappears if I don't respond quick enough. The only way I can get continued help is to make a new post. Since early December last year, I've been having an issue with the Microsoft store with it not...
  9. Cant install games onto my M drive *still*

Cant install games onto my M drive *still*: So back in early December I made a post here Post and I got 2 barely helpful replies, I've continually bumped the thread and gotten no new replies. I just thought a new post would help me solve it, Thanks....
  10. Can’t get windows onto m.2 drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t get windows onto m.2 drive: So I’ve been on pc for 2 years. Windows was installed on my HDD and working as fine as a hard drive can. Now I’ve decided to upgrade. Just bought a Samsung 970 EVO plus. I put it in and it’s working great. Problem is. I can’t egg windows onto it. I tried mac reflect and that...