Windows 10: Can't Install HP Deskjet Printer Driver using Third Party Ink?

Discus and support Can't Install HP Deskjet Printer Driver using Third Party Ink? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a HP Deskjet 1514 printer which worked fine using OEM ink. I've just installed third party ink but the HP driver software refuses to acknowledge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Can't Install HP Deskjet Printer Driver using Third Party Ink?

I have a HP Deskjet 1514 printer which worked fine using OEM ink. I've just installed third party ink but the HP driver software refuses to acknowledge the Deskjet printer when trying to install the HP driver software. I read that HP driver software may block the installation if it finds third party ink installed. Is there a way of overcoming this problem? The printer works fine with the drivers installed by Windows 10 but I have no utilities to clean the ink cartridges.

:)

Steve C, Mar 27, 2017
  2. Linney Win User
    Linney, Mar 27, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Just recently I cannot print from my PC. I get an error message that can't add a driver and I need to spool it? Any ideas? Thanks

You were asked three questions, failed to answer two of them, were asked to answer all of the questions, and still haven't answered the third one. Have you uninstalled the printer, then downloaded/installed the latest drivers and software from

the HP support page for the printer?

JimWynne, Mar 27, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

That may be part of the class-action suit/s in Europe where printer manufacturers sell the printers cheap but the ink is expensive and the cartridges have a chip or feature that requires using only the manufacturers products. Generic and Refilled cartridges don't always work properly. The drivers are only part of the software included with printers and made available to Microsoft but usually one can go to the maker's site and download the full install, usually between 100MB and 300MB for the ones I've done.

Berton, Mar 27, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. It's the HP full / basic install drivers which don't work. The printer works fine withe the very basic driver installed by Windows 10 - but there are no printer utilities.

Steve C, Mar 27, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    The Utilities have always come on the CD and available on the maker's site, just have to look for the largest-size download if the description on the support site doesn't mention which is which. And some older devices may not have complete updates available, just gives validity to the "planned obsolescence" some folks assign to the problem. The simple issue is economics, once a product is no longer made/sold there is no money coming in for paying programmers to update the software to work with newer Operating Systems.

Berton, Mar 27, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    The HP printer utilities are installed with the HP drivers, but the the HP drivers won't install because it finds the printer has third party inks installed. That's the problem. This is just a cheapskate trick by HP.

Steve C, Mar 27, 2017
  8. erpster4 Win User

well can you remove all those 3rd party ink cartridges from your HP printer and purchase genuine HP ink carts where you reside, Steve?

I'm in the USA and I never use 3rd party inks for my HP printer (an Officejet 6500A E710n printer) - I always use authentic HP ink carts that I buy from either Staples or Office Depot (I don't care how much the HP inks cost - money is never an issue for me).

Edit: you could try the Staples UK or Staples Europe store to buy your HP ink cartridges (if you bought your HP printer in the UK). Also see this HP page on which HP inks you must use for your HP 1514 printer.

erpster4, Mar 27, 2017
  9. bobkn Win User
    The 1514 is an inexpensive inkjet printer.

If it was mine, I'd regard this as a strong indication that it's time to recycle it. A cheap printer with expensive inks is not a happy combination from my point of view. At the moment, my printers are laser printers from Brother. I don't know about their ink jets, but they have no OEM toner chips on the lasers. I have had good luck with remanufactured cartridges (which, in principle, void the warranty). Brother also seems to provide driver support for old printers much longer than HP.

I have a friend who has had good things to say about the Epson EcoTank approach. You may wish to consider one of those.

bobkn, Mar 27, 2017
  10. HP recently updated it's Win10 printer drivers because of that class-action lawsuit to NOW allow you to use non-HP ink.

You should purge the existing HP software and drivers, download the current Full Feature drivers and software from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5385186

After reinstalling, you should NOW be able to use non-HP ink -- but be advised, the ink levels monitor won't work with those.

Mark Phelps, Mar 27, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    The printer is actually my father's. He doesn't print much so it's much cheaper just to buy the third party ink at half the price of OEM inks. The print quality is fine using the default drivers installed by Windows 10. It's jsut annoying HP have designed their driver software to refuse to install if third party inks are used.

Steve C, Mar 28, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    The printer isn't used much so it's most cost effective just to keep it and use third party ink at half the price of HP ink.

Steve C, Mar 28, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

The driver you mention is the one I've been trying to install. It's dated 2015 so I doubt HP have modified it in recognition of the class action. The driver installation stops at the point where you connect the printer via USB - I guess because it detects third party ink cartridges are installed. I uninstalled all other HP drivers, removed the printer under Devices & Printers and deleted all HP temp files and files under Program Files and Program Data but the driver refuses to install. I'm unimpressed by HP's poor product support and don't intend to buy HP products in future.

Steve C, Mar 28, 2017
  14. spunk Win User
    Buy HP Printer cartridges, install the printer driver. Remove HP cartridges and put in 3rd party. Take HP cartridges back to store for refund. It probably still won't print until you get HP cartridges, or 3rd party cartridges that guarantee they will work.

spunk, Mar 28, 2017
  15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    There are also kits you can buy that allow you to refill the branded cartridges, which avoids the problem.

Thema:

1. Can't Install HP Deskjet Printer Driver using Third Party Ink? - Similar Threads - Can't Install Deskjet

2. How to use only one ink cartridge on the HP DeskJet printer 2652?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use only one ink cartridge on the HP DeskJet printer 2652?: How to use only one ink cartridge; what settings, etc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-only-one-ink-cartridge-on-the-hp/2f246977-e53c-4487-8c92-5682cb527d08
  3. How to use only one ink cartridge on the HP DeskJet printer 2652?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use only one ink cartridge on the HP DeskJet printer 2652?: How to use only one ink cartridge; what settings, etc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-only-one-ink-cartridge-on-the-hp/2f246977-e53c-4487-8c92-5682cb527d08
  4. PRINTER DRIVER FOR OLD HP DESKJET F4180

PRINTER DRIVER FOR OLD HP DESKJET F4180: Hi, I have windows 11 os on my laptop, my HP printer is old and no longer has support to download the driver, Cannot find solution online or via control panel options...
  5. HP Deskjet F4180 Printer Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Deskjet F4180 Printer Driver: Replaced computer to Windows 11. Need my printer to work with computer. Finding that the printer driver is no longer supported by HP. Is there a solution to the driver download for an HP Deskjet F4180 All-in-One Printer. I did try to reinstall the driver from the HP Disk that...
  6. HP Deskjet F4180 Printer Driver

HP Deskjet F4180 Printer Driver: Replaced computer to Windows 11. Need my printer to work with computer. Finding that the printer driver is no longer supported by HP. Is there a solution to the driver download for an HP Deskjet F4180 All-in-One Printer. I did try to reinstall the driver from the HP Disk that...
  7. HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835: Good day.HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835Function address 0x00007FFCD1194F69 caused a protection fault exception code 0xe06d7363 The application property sheet page may not function properly. I get this error when trying to print. Printer only shows main tray and will only...
  8. HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835

HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835: Good day.HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835Function address 0x00007FFCD1194F69 caused a protection fault exception code 0xe06d7363 The application property sheet page may not function properly. I get this error when trying to print. Printer only shows main tray and will only...
  9. HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Third party drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Third party drivers: I recently purchased a microscope and a microscope camera so I could view the microscope on screen, I loaded the driver and this seemed to be OK, however, when I connected the camera a fault code came up and the computer would not allow me to run the camera. I later found out...