Windows 10: Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10

Discus and support Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, I just upgraded to Windows 10 at the end of July. I've been having problems removing programmes or adding some new programmes, e.g. iTunes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SweetiePie, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10

Hi All,

I just upgraded to Windows 10 at the end of July. I've been having problems removing programmes or adding some new programmes, e.g. iTunes.

Recently tried to update my iTunes but to no avail! Great difficulty in removing the existing iTunes programme. Had to use RevoUninstaller and all iTunes associated files, cleared cache, temp files, garbage, etc. I still can't re-install iTunes. Just sits at creating shortcuts or fails.

Asked both iTunes support and Microsoft. No results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, *Confused

:)

SweetiePie, Sep 11, 2016
  2. MessyBess Win User

Can't install iTunes on surface pro3 with window 10.

*Original Title: itune

Can't install iTunes on surface pro3 with window 10. Please advise.

MessyBess, Sep 11, 2016
  3. windows 10 compatibility

I can't install Itunes on Windows 10

EllenDrake, Sep 11, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10

What OS were you on before you upgraded to 10?

f14tomcat, Sep 11, 2016
  5. Hi TomCat,

I was using Windows 8.1 and all current updates. I didn't do a clean install of Windows 10. I upgraded so there is an old Windows file folder sitting on my system.

*Smile

SweetiePie, Sep 11, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  7. Vesao Win User
    Note that the latest version of iTunes is a 64-bit application, and your Windows 10 system must also be 64-bit.

Vesao, Sep 12, 2016
  8. Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10

Hi Steve and Vesao,

Thanks for responding to my problem with iTunes and Windows 10.

I did follow the Apple uninstall procedures and it didn't work. Contacted Apple Support and they tried and still couldn't fix the problem. Referred to Microsoft who also did a remote session and still couldn't fix the problem.

Downloaded Revo-uninstaller and removed everything of Apple. I still can't re-install Apple iTunes.

Yes, my computer is 64-bit.

With thanks, *Smile

SweetiePie, Sep 12, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Are you doing the installation from an an admin account? Is your antivirus blocking the installation? There may be a problem with your Windows installation. First run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check /repair system files. Also, look at Event Viewer & Reliability History for clues on what's going wrong.

The next step after that would be to try an in-place repair install.

Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi SweetiePie,
    Sorry that you are having problems with iTunes. iTunes is one of those programs that does not play well with upgrading from Win7 or 8 to Win 10. Ideally iTunes should be uninstalled completely before upgrading and then reinstalled afterwards. I first ran into this issue when I upgraded to Win 10 and then reverted to Win7. I was not alone in having this problem. You should take a look at this thread:
    Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums

The thread is long but the important stuff is in post #48. Although your issue is not exactly the same, I suspect the root cause is the same and following the steps in post #48 should solve the problem and allow you to reinstall iTunes. However, before doing anything you should makea full disk backup in case something goes wrong as well as back up your data separately. Also back up the registry befoer attempting any edits. Alternatively you could always just do a clean install of Win10 if you have the time and all of the necessary install materials, etc. I am not confident that a repair install will address the issue since I think that a key element is a registry key that is probably not modified by a reapir install.

I hope this helps you and let us know if you have any questions.

SoFine409, Sep 12, 2016
  11. Hi Steve and SoFine,

Thanks so much for all the advice and instructions.

I wondered if there was a problem with the upgrade of Windows 10 (all info was previously backed up to an external hard drive). I'll try the repair scenario first and then worse case will be a clean install.

Steve, I gather an "in-place repair install" means to re-install Windows 10 over the existing upgrade. Found Brink's instruction here.

I upgraded at the end of July of this year. Would the version/edition that's available now be the same?

Cheers, *Smile

SweetiePie, Sep 13, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    The currently available ISO or USB from the Media Creation Tool will be the latest version of Windows so that's what the repair install will give you. You could do a repair install with a previous version if you still have the installation USB / ISO or can find one. However, if you have Windows 10 Home, you can't defer upgrades and Windows will update you anyway.

Steve C, Sep 13, 2016
  13. SoFine409 Win User

Hi SweetiePie,
    A clean install is definitely the way to go if you have the time and all of your reinstall materials available. After upgrading 4 PCs I went back and did a clean install on all of them. As I said before, sometimes an “in-place repair-install” does not fix everything and I’m skeptical that it will fix the registry entry that I think is at the bottom of your issue. That said it’s definitely the quickest and easiest fix to try and you do that first if time is an issue. As long as you have a backup and can do a clean install if needed you have nothing to lose.

If you decide to do a clean install be aware the even that can sometimes have problems, so before you start reinstalling programs use SFC /scannow several times to be sure that the install went correctly (see the tutorial for SFC/DISM).

SoFine409, Sep 13, 2016
  14. Hi All,

This week has been a bit crazy. I'm hoping to work on this problem this coming weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Truly appreciate all your help,

*Biggrin

SweetiePie, Sep 20, 2016
  15. Hi SoFine, Steve C and All,

So sorry it has taken so long.

I did the sfc /scannow several times and came up negative.

I hesitated about repairing the system because I don't have the original Windows 10 installation file from July 28th. I have a newer version.

The instructions from Brink:

It looks like a clean install at this point. My hard drive is split C: (programmes, etc.) and D: (data). I gather Asus probably has a recovery portion somewhere for Windows 8.0.

Do you think it might be a compatibility issue with my Asus Desktop?

Thanks so much for all the help, *Smile

SweetiePie, Oct 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't Install iTunes on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Install iTunes

2. Can't install iTunes on Win 10 desktop

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't install iTunes on Win 10 desktop: Win 10 Pro x64, 21H2. I've had iTunes as a standalone on my PC for a long time. Recently, when I went to update, I ended up in the MS store and with that version. When I realized there was a difference, I uninstalled it and tried to update via the standalone version, but that...
  3. Can't install iTunes on Win 10 desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install iTunes on Win 10 desktop: Win 10 Pro x64, 21H2. I've had iTunes as a standalone on my PC for a long time. Recently, when I went to update, I ended up in the MS store and with that version. When I realized there was a difference, I uninstalled it and tried to update via the standalone version, but that...
  4. Can't install iTunes on Win 10 desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't download and install iTunes.

Can't download and install iTunes.: Trying to download iTunes on my Windows 10 machine. The only option appears to be from the Microsoft store I used to download directly from Apple but appears as if I can't do this anymore. I choose 'GET' and the button that says 'install' is greyed out and right above it...
  6. Install iTunes on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install iTunes on Windows 10: Help me to install iTunes on Windows 10 PC. Thank you in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-itunes-on-windows-10/7bfa7bf6-5dbe-4052-92ff-307fb93f08df
  7. Installing itunes on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing itunes on windows 10: I am trying to install apple itunes on my laptop which has windows 10. It says I have to uninstall previous applications, which I have done. I have followed all of the steps and deleted all of the components suggested by apple, emptied the recycle bin and restarted the laptop...
  8. Can't install iTunes.

Can't install iTunes.: I recently got a new laptop and I tried installing iTunes so I can sync my it with my phone. I opened the Microsoft Store but the "Install" button is in gray so that means that it can't be downloaded. Above, I can see that it says that "You own this app." but I can't install...
  9. iTunes downloaded, but can't install

iTunes downloaded, but can't install: Hi, I am having some trouble installing iTunes on my laptop. I have Windows 10 and I have downloaded the app, but when I attempt to install it, my device is not appearing in the location to install page. How can I navigate past this? My device is registered to my...
  10. Can't install iTunes on new Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install iTunes on new Windows 10 laptop: I'm in the process of migrating from an old Windows 10 laptop to a new one. I am attempting to download and install iTunes on the new machine, and when I try to run the downloaded .exe, I get an error message that this app can't run on this version of windows. The new...