Windows 10: Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder

Discus and support Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; The troubles started after I deleted windows.old. Somehow MS Office was gone after that. There were several more issues: Indexer was turned off, a... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by MightyMauz, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder

The troubles started after I deleted windows.old. Somehow MS Office was gone after that. There were several more issues: Indexer was turned off, a store app gives an error at boot, but the most frustrating one is that I cannot re-install Office anymore. It just cancels the installation about halfway, with the following error message:
    Something went wrong

Sorry, we ran into a problem accessing a required file. Plase check that the installation source has the correct permissions, then try again.

Error Code: 30015-45
    I have tried SFC (no problems), DISM (no problems), In-place windows update (could not finish). Anyone who can help me out?

I have the 20H2 update.

:)

MightyMauz, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder

1. Can't install MS Office after removing windows.old folder - Similar Threads - Can't install Office

2. can't open ms office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't open ms office: Some of my file MS excel cannot open, because i just updated my windows 11 while im working with this file, now its stuck on 100% while opened, another file can open but only shows sandtime for a long time,.. but this file can open on another PC or Laptop,this file its not...
  3. can't open ms office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't open ms office: Some of my file MS excel cannot open, because i just updated my windows 11 while im working with this file, now its stuck on 100% while opened, another file can open but only shows sandtime for a long time,.. but this file can open on another PC or Laptop,this file its not...
  4. Re-installed windows and can't remove old gamepass folder on different SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-installed windows and can't remove old gamepass folder on different SSD: My SSD died so i had to use my old one, re-installed windows on it and tried to 'restore' my games thinking it would be as easy as steam, but it appears that isn't possible with gamepass games.On my old ssd with Win 11, i had the install folder on my secondary M.2 SSD so all...
  5. Re-installed windows and can't remove old gamepass folder on different SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-installed windows and can't remove old gamepass folder on different SSD: My SSD died so i had to use my old one, re-installed windows on it and tried to 'restore' my games thinking it would be as easy as steam, but it appears that isn't possible with gamepass games.On my old ssd with Win 11, i had the install folder on my secondary M.2 SSD so all...
  6. Update Windows removed MS Office

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Windows removed MS Office: I recently updated my laptop and no longer have MS Office as for my documents on my computer however they are available online. I have something called Neat Office. What happened and can I get MS back on my computer without being charged?...
  7. Ms office installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ms office installing: Hey there i have issues installing MS office. I just bought some samsung galaxy book s but whenever i try installing MS office does not allow me to do so. any suggestions? Thanks in advance....
  8. 'Ghost Folder' After Removing Old Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Ghost Folder' After Removing Old Drive: Hello, I just removed an old hard drive which had my iCloud folder. It left behind the directory to iCloud with no way of deleting it; here is what it looks like: [ATTACH] How can I get rid of this? It looks bad and any Windows action I try can't detect it as the drive is...
  9. Can't remove folders from old install of windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove folders from old install of windows: I had to reinstall windows and now I have folders from my last install of windows I cant remove. These folders I had games from game pass installed to and cant remove that folder now. how do I remove this folder without formatting the drive? The amount of data I have to...
  10. WINDOWS LOCKED AFTER INSTALLING MS OFFICE?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    WINDOWS LOCKED AFTER INSTALLING MS OFFICE?: My computer has no any existing account on Windows/Computer, it doesnt even have any password. Then, I downloaded Ms Office Package it includes: MS Word, Ms PPT, Ms excel etc on a computer from a MS website. Then after installing, I log in it into my live account. Then,...