Windows 10: Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure

Discus and support Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Shawn, Et.Al.-- I'm in a bit of a 'pickle'. My Display Adapter's driver (Device Manager) is defaulting to the Microsoft default: Microsoft Basic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Lairbear, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Lairbear Win User

Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure

Shawn, Et.Al.--

I'm in a bit of a 'pickle'.

My Display Adapter's driver (Device Manager) is defaulting to the Microsoft default: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. That default only provides a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 which does not accommodate my Samsung monitor that wants a resolution of 1920 x 1080. That results in a horizontally stretched desktop (unacceptable)!

Running the NVIDIA installer EXE fails in the middle of installing the driver for my GEForce GTX 260 graphics board- thus Windows chooses to use its default driver.

There exists a Windows update that specifically addresses the GTX 260 driver issue, but my attempts to perform a Windows Upgrade results in the following:

Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure [​IMG]

All 3 updates fail with Error: 0x8000ffff.

I'm really ONLY interested in the last update, and am desperate to install it!

I have never manually downloaded/installed an individual update, so I'm going to need some guidance there. Or how to fix all of my 0x8000ffff errors to result in a clean install. I believe if I can achieve a successful install of JUST the last update, then my objective will have been achieved!

I seek, and appreciate any/all advice and counsel that any/all of you may provide.

Thanks in advance...

Randy Reist ()

:)

Lairbear, Jan 21, 2020

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure

NVIDIA driver 23.21.13.8868 update failure

Hello J,

It is possible that the driver installation issue is due to a corrupted device driver. I suggest removing the existing display adapter driver installed on your Windows 7 PC and then download the latest one from Nvidia's support website. For the steps on
    how to uninstall drivers in Windows, please refer to this
    article
    . Make sure to also remove the driver software on your PC.

If Windows Update continues on offering an update for your display adapter driver, you can perform the troubleshooting steps outlined in this
    support article. The page has instructions on how to resolve update issues in Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Devlin Sco, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure

1. Can't Install Nvidia Driver - Windows Update Failure - Similar Threads - Can't Install Nvidia

2. Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update: HelloI have a lenovo ideapad l340 gaming 8gb ram intel i5 9th gen , nvidia gtx 1050 I updated to windows 11 in the start of this year and since then i've been facing problems with my nvidia driver and it disappeared completely from my computer since then Like i have no GPU...
  3. Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update: HelloI have a lenovo ideapad l340 gaming 8gb ram intel i5 9th gen , nvidia gtx 1050 I updated to windows 11 in the start of this year and since then i've been facing problems with my nvidia driver and it disappeared completely from my computer since then Like i have no GPU...
  4. Windows Update and Driver Installation Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update and Driver Installation Failure: My system seems to have ran into a serious problem, and this problem is quite complicated.About half a year ago, I start up my computer and found out that "Windows Update" service had disappeared.When I use "net start wuauserv" in cmd it just returns Invalid Service.I also...
  5. Windows Update and Driver Installation Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update and Driver Installation Failure: My system seems to have ran into a serious problem, and this problem is quite complicated.About half a year ago, I start up my computer and found out that "Windows Update" service had disappeared.When I use "net start wuauserv" in cmd it just returns Invalid Service.I also...
  6. Windows Update and Driver Installation Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't install/update nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install/update nvidia drivers: Hello, so i own an Asus scar II gaming laptop i7 8750H 32gb ram 2070 rtx, been 2 years i got this bad boy and today i can't update nvidia driver, i used ddu, doesn't work, tried no failure mode doesn't work, i tried nvidia cleanstall doesn't work, so i went as far as entirely...
  8. Can't install Latest Nvidia Driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't install Latest Nvidia Driver: Hi, I'm having a problem installing the latest nvidia driver (456.71) on a clean install of Windows. System specs are: Dell Precision T1600 Windows 10 x64 version 2004 (build 19041.572) All updates applied. CPU: Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4 GHz 16 GB DDR3 RAM Nvidia GeForce...
  9. Can't update nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't update nvidia drivers: Can't update nvidia drivers for graphics card. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-update-nvidia-drivers/024229c1-520e-410d-9d0b-9f2bf365e000
  10. Can't install Nvidia Drivers after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install Nvidia Drivers after Windows 10 Update: I got a brand new Surface Book 2 with the following specs: - 13,5" - Intel Core i7-8250U - 8gb RAM - 256GB SSD - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Yesterday I updated to the new Version of Windows (Windows 10 1905 183662.145), and if I now try to install the Nvidia Driver, I...