Windows 10: Can't install. possible partition error

Discus and support Can't install. possible partition error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've come here to beg for some help from you lovely windows techies. My issue is that the CD that I bought wont install on the laptop i have (prev win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KalamityKatt, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Can't install. possible partition error

I've come here to beg for some help from you lovely windows techies.
    My issue is that the CD that I bought wont install on the laptop i have (prev win 7 and ubuntu 14.4)
    The main details can be found here, if you would be so kind, along with what attempts ive made to rectify this.

[LINK REMOVED]

I have since then created a boot dvd using windows 10 media download to see if this has any impact (bearing in mind that the original disc is new, official and undamaged)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

:)

KalamityKatt, Mar 22, 2016
  2. Bowk5150 Win User

Help, Windows 10 - I did an uh oh thing and deleted the 450 mb 'recovery' partition

Appears that this isn't just a recovery partition that is taking up space. It's also the home of the Boot files. Unlike some of the previous versions of Windows, Win10 can't live without this partition.

I get a Boot error since it can't find the boot files.

Anyway to fix this? I can use Acronis Disk Director to create a new partition. I need to know what files to drop into it and other specifics to the partition.

It's possible that there were two partitions added during the installation of Win10. A small 20 mb and the 450 where both on this physical drive. Thought I'd get rid of them. Guess that was a bad idea.

Thanks folks

Bowk5150, Mar 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Reset stuck

I am working on Windows 10 Custom installation.

Now I am getting error message when I select any partition to install windows. Error message is:

"Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition _.Show Details)"

BHALABHAGAT, Mar 22, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Can't install. possible partition error

Please post the details here and we will try to help.

essenbe, Mar 22, 2016
  5. okay my link got taken out so heres a copy/paste job

toshiba x64 (originally win7)
    pentium core
    6gb ram
    720 hdd

need to uninstall ubuntu and install windows 10 (full version, on disc with key)
    windows install disk wouldnt run because not free partition.
    made gp live disc
    run it
    created a new partition table
    created a new partition - Cleared
    checked it
    applied all
    reboot pc with windows 10 disk in
    it sits there in dos after the toshiba splash blinking while it reads the disk, the _ stays solid for about a minute then the drive stops spinning and it just sits there blinking waiting for a reboot.

I Created a new blank partition and rebooted with win10 disc in drive and #1 on boot list (obv.)
    Instead of sitting there for hours with no response what I'm presented with now is a message from Realtek and Intel?
    {still on Dos}
    Dos wrote:Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
    Copyright (c) 97-'00 Intel
    This product is covered by patents blah blah
    Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.25
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
    Reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

GPT table istead of Dos yeilds same results

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX count=2048 bs=512
    brings back:
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    1048576 bytes (1.0mb , 1.0mb) copied, 0.50871 s, 2.1 mb/s

Just created new win10 install disc on different pc no different results, so original disk is fine

KalamityKatt, Mar 23, 2016
  6. Assuming you can boot the Windows 10, when you get to the first splash screen, hit Shift + F10 to open a DOS prompt. Run diskpart.

Then, at the prompt Select disk.

Once you have the disk selected, type clean and hit enter.

This is assuming you have nothing on the disk to be saved. This will remove all partitions on the drive. You can exit and continue with the Windows 10 install.

DiskPart Command-Line Options

DeaconFrost, Mar 23, 2016
  7. Therein lies the problem, on boot the windows 10 disc just whirrs for ages and then laptop gives up and tries to boot via other methods. I was told this was due to the lack of available space (as I currently had ubuntu on there as well)
    But after wiping and partitioning the drive theres no change.

KalamityKatt, Mar 24, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

That sounds like a bad DVD.

NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2016
  9. Agreed. You never got to the point of the installer checking for free space. If the disc is bad, I'd create a new one, or use a flash drive, which will speed up the process.

DeaconFrost, Mar 24, 2016
  10. the disc has been checked on 2 other pcs and works fine, its an officiaol one that i bought.
    Ive also created 2 other boot discs for windows 10, one made with my existing windows 10 pc and the other made on a Linux os, both of those work on the oher pcs too, none of them work in the laptop

KalamityKatt, Mar 25, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like the disc drive in the laptop might be bad then. Can you try a USB flash drive?

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2016
  12. *Sad dont have one. am working on it. the thing is that the dvd drive runs everything else alright. the GParted disc loads fine, cant really try anything else without an os.
    I'm going to try a GPT partition table next and wipe the beginning space on the drive beforehand.
    I really dont think that there is a problem with the hardware, it was working fine just days ago

13. NavyLCDR New Member

The fact that you can't even get to the first screen of Windows 10 install suggests that the problem is not the hard drive partitioning. You might want to check in bios setup and see if there is a legacy or CSM boot mode and enable that. Sometimes you can only boot from DVD in legacy mode.

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2016
  14. Yes legacy is on [underboot/keyboard settings in bios?], i cant check the POST because of a toshiba splash that I can only disable by enabling 'fastboot' which in turn disables the ablility to boot from anything other than the HDD.

15. Fafhrd Win User
    Some Toshiba models have a hotkey boot device where pressing "C" immediately after power on button boots from the CD/DVD drive -
    others have a press "F12" as soon as the splash screen appears to offer a choice of boot options

Any chance with either of these?

How to boot your Toshiba PC from CD-ROM, LAN, or diskette

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't install. possible partition error - Similar Threads - Can't install possible

2. Is it possible to install windows onto a partition of an external hard disk.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to install windows onto a partition of an external hard disk.: The software I use(Win to USB), gives me the option to select the whole drive (I have files on the other partitions) for formatting the disk, it does not give an option to select individual partitions. So my question is do I need the whole disk or is it possible to install...
  3. Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup can't be installed on partition: I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop that was delivered with a Window 10 operating system. At some time I removed Windows 10 and installed ubuntu 18.04 on it and now I want to install Windows again via an USB drive configured by the media creation tool. However at the step...
  4. Move recovery partition - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move recovery partition - is it possible?: I upgraded a couple days ago from a 250 GB HDD to a 500 GB SSD. I imaged the old drive using the Windows Image toolControl Panel -> System and Security -> Backup & Restore -> Create system image and then I restored the image to the new drive. The only problem is that it also...
  5. Is it possible to clone OEM Partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to clone OEM Partition?: Hi, I have a Acer Swift SF314-54G. I have Windows 10 Home Single Language pre-installed by Acer. Recently, I bought new SSD (Adata SX8200 Pro) because the HDD had seemed too slow to run Windows Applications. I cloned the old disk with AOMEI Backupper to my new SSD. After the...
  6. Is it possible to merge the OS partition and the boot partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to merge the OS partition and the boot partition?: I have 4 partitions on my HDD and am unable to download some diagnostic software due to this. I have a 500 MB reserved, OS, boot and recovery partitions. Is it possible to merge any of these partitions to make one available in Windows 10 education version?...
  7. Is it possible to move OEM Partition ?

Is it possible to move OEM Partition ?: [ATTACH] Hi all, Above is my new 1TB SSD. I've cloned it from my 500 GB one. My question is, i there any way I can extend my C drive with all that unallocated space without reinstall?...
  8. Can't Partition Drive/Install Windows

Can't Partition Drive/Install Windows: My solid state drive gives me the error "can't create partition from unallocated space and cannot install windows" My regular hard drive says "The selected disc is of the GPT partition style" Also it takes like a solid hour every time I go to load the boot disc or thumb...
  9. Possible partition removal, or movement?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible partition removal, or movement?: I cloned a 750Gb HDD to a 1Tb SSD. Macrium Reflect simply copied the partitions over as-is. It left 260Gb unallocated. There are 2 partitions that I'm thinking are left-over and can be deleted. [img] The idea being that once those partitions are gone, there will be...
  10. Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition

Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition: Hey there, I am trying to install Windows 10 10130 onto my laptop's blank partition that is 400 GB. Upon installing I noticed it gives me an error that says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." I'm not sure what this means, as I have repeatedly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 installation error 0x80070017 installing from oem cd