Windows 10: Can't Install tap driver

Discus and support Can't Install tap driver in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. i am using windows 10 and i cannot install tap driver it hangs on tap update(tap0901) (may need confirmation) and after a long time it show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by amogh devgun, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Can't Install tap driver

Hello.

i am using windows 10 and i cannot install tap driver it hangs on tap update(tap0901) (may need confirmation)

and after a long time it show the following error-

An error occurerd installing the TAP device driver

I've read many articles on this issue but cannot find any solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

amogh devgun, Sep 12, 2018

2. Uninstall TAP Windows Adapter V9

SOLVED

• Step 1: Download OpenVPN and install with ALL features from HERE : Downloads
    • Step 2: Open CMD.exe as administrator and go to the file location of "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin" or whatever that turns out to be.
    • Step 3: Follow the "Installing and uninstalling TAP-drivers" section from the website

HERE
      : https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/ManagingWindowsTAPDrivers
    • OR JUST READ BELOW
    • Step 4: How to get the <id> for the next section:
      • Go to Network Connections
      • Right click the TAP device you want to remove
      • Click Properties
      • Click Details
      • Using the drop-down menu, get the Hardware ID
        • This is usually something like: tapoes, tap0901 etc
    • Step 5: Remove those suckers by typing the following into CMD: tapinstall.exe remove (ID from step 4)
      • it should look something like this below:
    • Step 6: If you have devices that were not removed, repeat Steps 4-5 for all TAP adapters
    • Step 7: Restart!
    • Step 8: Uninstall OpenVPN and you're all set!

Supplementary information from the site:

Occasionally you may need play with different TAP-driver versions. In this case you can use devcon.exe from the Windows command-prompt. Below are some common commands you can run from an administrator Powershell
    or cmd.exe console:

List available TAP-Windows adapters:

List network interfaces (incl. TAP-Windows adapters):

View information about an installed driver:

Uninstall a TAP-driver:

To verify TAP-driver removal:

Install a new TAP-driver:

Update a TAP-driver:

Notes:

• <id> refers to the driver identifier which is tap0901 for OpenVPN 2.2+, but may be different in older/newer OpenVPN versions.
    • <something.inf> is typically OemWin2k.inf (old tap-drivers) or OemVista.inf (newer tap-drivers). You need to specify the full path to this file, e.g.C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemVista.inf.
    By installing multiple times, you will create additional TAP-Windows adapter instances, which can be used for multiple concurrent VPN tunnels. It is also possible to install using Control Panel -> Add New Hardware,
    and it is possible to uninstall using Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

CarlTutton, Sep 12, 2018
  3. Fox34 Win User
    I cant get drivers to install

Read my guide, goes step buy step for nvidia driver install. Though I use a different driver cause I got 8 series, same method of installation

Fox34, Sep 12, 2018
  4. Can't Install tap driver

Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

Can't Install tap driver

1. Can't Install tap driver - Similar Threads - Can't Install tap

2. An error occurred installing the tap device driver.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error occurred installing the tap device driver.: I was reinstalling Windscribe VPN and this thing popped up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-error-occurred-installing-the-tap-device-driver/2bd19ac8-fb63-41fa-9678-5b0906751a3f
  3. An error occurred installing the tap device driver.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    An error occurred installing the tap device driver.: I was reinstalling Windscribe VPN and this thing popped up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-error-occurred-installing-the-tap-device-driver/2bd19ac8-fb63-41fa-9678-5b0906751a3f
  4. tap 64bit driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    tap 64bit driver: tap 64bit driver download i need for my vpn to work please give link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tap-64bit-driver/773925fb-09dc-4d91-b906-7f64cb32bf33
  5. TAP driver installation fails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    TAP driver installation fails: Hi, I have a serious problem with my laptop. Based on my location, I'm always in need of a VPN and NordVPN would always serve me well. For some reasons I had to delete my nordvpn TAP adapter, but after trying to re-install it, it would always fail. I tried tons of things...
  6. TAP driver is failing to install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TAP driver is failing to install.: Hello, I'v been using Urban VPN for Windows for a long time until I had a problem or something like that and I had to uninstall it. After I reinstalled it and opened it it failed to connect many times and I kept deleting and reinstalling it until I finally found out that the...
  7. Miniport/TAP driver/s will not install

Miniport/TAP driver/s will not install: Ok so recently i was trying to use a vpn and i noticed it would not work. I was trying to use a vpn app off of the windows store. The app was working before but just stopped working. So i thought it might be an issue with the miniport drivers so i went into device manger and...
  8. Unable to install TAP driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install TAP driver: After the most recent Windows 10 update and NordVPN update, my NordVPN service would not connect to any servers. I uninstalled and re-installed NordVPN and OpenVPN. Both tell me that the TAP device drivers can not be installed. How do I fix this issue?...
  9. Can't Install tap driver

Can't Install tap driver: Hello. i am using windows 10 and i cannot install tap driver it hangs on tap update(tap0901) (may need confirmation) and after a long time it show the following error- An error occurerd installing the TAP device driver I've read many articles on this issue but cannot...
  10. VPN Tap driver won't install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Tap driver won't install: Since upgrading windows 10 1803 I have been having issues installing the TAP driver from my VPN install package. I use Private Internet Access and Windows 10 for the past few years without any issues. Well not until I upgraded to Windows 10 1803, the Tap driver just won't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. c:\program files\tap-windows\bin\tapinstall.exe install c:\program files\tap-windows\driver\oemvista.inf tap0901tapinstall.exe failed.

2. windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them. tap-windows adapter v9

3. cant install tap vpn

4. can not install windows tap driver,
  5. tap0901tapinstall.exe failed.,
  6. cannot install the tap driver,
  7. updating drivers for tap0901,
  8. cant install windows tap,
  9. cant install tap driver