Windows 10: Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

Discus and support Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Toller, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Toller Win User

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be installed on a USB flash drive.
    Thing is, I don't have a USB flash drive on the system. I have a SSD, but Windows can be installed on a SSD, can't it?

And, just recently, when I update the system and it restarts, it comes up with some error message about not being able to boot on an Flash drive. I turn the machine off and back on, and it boots up just fine.

Any idea what is going on?

:)

Toller, Aug 25, 2019
  2. Samintha Win User

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup."

Thank you; it worked for me. (Although your suggestion should say from 1 to 0).

Samintha, Aug 25, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup."

I finally ended up upgrading from W10 IP Build 14936 to 14951 thanks to the proposed registry editing.

Please, be careful....

There's another post on Microsoft boards that suggests to mark the OS partition as "active" if it's not.

I did it and I had to fix then the OS using an W10 install media (Startup Repair).

So this registry fix do the trick perfectly with no other interventions.

Stefania Castelli, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

1. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB: Hi my name is Luis.A few weeks ago i installed a malware on my hp omen laptop and wasn’t able to get rid of it, every time I tried to boot windows it blue screened so I decided to format my ssd and do a clean install.Fast forward a few days later when I got a usb drive with...
  3. SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB: Hi my name is Luis.A few weeks ago i installed a malware on my hp omen laptop and wasn’t able to get rid of it, every time I tried to boot windows it blue screened so I decided to format my ssd and do a clean install.Fast forward a few days later when I got a usb drive with...
  4. SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD drive detected by BIOS, but not Windows setup during install from USB: I have attempted to install both Windows 10 and 11 from a USB to a newly assembled desktop. The motherboard is an ASUS Prime B660-PLUS D4 LGA 1700 ATX, and the CPU is an Intel Core i7-12700F 4.5 GHz. The drive I am trying to install to is a SanDisk SSD PLUS 2TB Internal SSD -...
  5. No drives were found during Windows Installation during Setup

in Windows 10 News
    No drives were found during Windows Installation during Setup: [IMG]If you are having a Windows PC with Intel 11th Generation processor (Intel Tiger Lake) and fail to install Windows 11/10 on it, this guide is for you. Many are experiencing No drives were found error during Windows 11/10 installation. The solution we gave applies to HP,...
  6. Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".: ProblemWindows Setup failed with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".See Screenshot 2, below.For Solution, see the next message in this thread... - Of 13th Jan 2022, by Sumit Dhiman-Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Independent Advisor. - Many thanks...
  7. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  8. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup": Hi, I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The update doesn't show up in the "Check for updates" utility on the UWP control panel, and so I've tried using the upgrade tool...
  9. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up."

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up.": So, I'm trying to upgrade my windows 10 to the newest version but when I try I get the "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up." error. The only external device I have plugged in is a hard drive with 84.3 GB of space available. My C: drive has 18 GB...
  10. Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive: How to: Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB...