Windows 10: Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues

Discus and support Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am unable to install a certain update, and it may be affecting the ability to update in other ways as well. This is the message I see in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanielSchwanger, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues

Hello,

I am unable to install a certain update, and it may be affecting the ability to update in other ways as well. This is the message I see in the Windows Update window:

2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4464218) - Error 0x800706ba

and

Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.275.1798.0) - Error 0x80240016

Followed by: Status: We can't install some updates because other updates are in progress. Restarting your computer may help, and we'll keep trying to update.

Other issues that may or may not be related:

1. Start Menu does not respond when I click any of the items along the left hand side (settings, power, etc) though these features are functioning though other locations
    2. Microsoft Edge crashes after attempting to load a webpage or pdf.
    3. When attempting to Reset this PC, it fails at about 85% then returns me to normal operation without any changes made and all issues still present. Doesn't matter if I try to access through the Recovery menu or through the blue Recovery window with the Restore or Troubleshoot options

I've tried all of the built-in troubleshooting to no avail. Other suggestions?

:)

DanielSchwanger, Sep 24, 2018
  2. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Sep 24, 2018
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Edge disappeared and start menu not working on Windows 10

Hello Richard,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can isolate the issue regarding Microsoft Edge and Start menu:

• Have you tried to searching in Cortana search to check if Edge can be located?
    • Besides powershell, what other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

In the meantime, you can download and run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter to isolate the issue on Edge.

We also suggest that you download and run the
    Start Menu troubleshooter to fix common Start menu issues.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Sep 24, 2018
  4. Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues

START MENU,CORTANA,EDGE BROWSER AND IN-BUILT APPS NOT WORKING

Hi Aditya,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the app troubleshooter from the below article and check if it helps.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2: You may follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues

1. Can't Install Update, Edge Crashes, Start Menu Issues - Similar Threads - Can't Install Update

2. Microsoft Edge installer crashes/won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge installer crashes/won't start: Long story short I completely uninstalled/deleted edge and I was trying to reinstall it. Ive downloaded the most recent version for Windows 10 including the Canary and the dev build from the website and when I run the setup it immediately crashes. I've tried running as...
  3. Microsoft Edge installer crashes/won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge installer crashes/won't start: Long story short I completely uninstalled/deleted edge and I was trying to reinstall it. Ive downloaded the most recent version for Windows 10 including the Canary and the dev build from the website and when I run the setup it immediately crashes. I've tried running as...
  4. Microsoft Edge installer crashes/won't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Multiple issues on start up. Can't access windows updates from start menu, edge asking to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple issues on start up. Can't access windows updates from start menu, edge asking to...: So I booted up pc, opened edge, was logged out of all sites. Noticed account says "setting up sync". So I don't have access to passwords and browser extensions not working. If I close the browser it logs me out of sites again. Also if click the start menu for windows 11 I...
  6. Multiple issues on start up. Can't access windows updates from start menu, edge asking to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple issues on start up. Can't access windows updates from start menu, edge asking to...: So I booted up pc, opened edge, was logged out of all sites. Noticed account says "setting up sync". So I don't have access to passwords and browser extensions not working. If I close the browser it logs me out of sites again. Also if click the start menu for windows 11 I...
  7. Installed Corel X3 and now the issue started can't open the start menu and can't connect to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installed Corel X3 and now the issue started can't open the start menu and can't connect to...: @john Dev I have gone through your steps but nothing seems worked out. It was the same as it is. Can't open start menu and can't connect to Wifi as well as can't open Windows defender app atleast and also the messages bar. Please help me out. many are suggesting to reset pc...
  8. Edge website icons issue in Start Menu

Edge website icons issue in Start Menu: I have recently converted to Edge, but the icons for the website tiles that I pin to the start screen keep disappearing. I can get them back by re-pinning them to the start screen, but I have done this twice now, and it is tedious. Now, the icons have disappeared for a 3rd...
  9. Start menu not working, settings crashes, microsoft edge crashes

Start menu not working, settings crashes, microsoft edge crashes: Pretty sure all are working yesterday, haven't done much besides watching youtube. Windows 10. Today, when I click on start menu, my mouse quickly shows a loading icon and nothing happens. I've been playing around in hopes it will help any technician diagnose this problem,...
  10. Edge starts then crashes

in Browsers and Email
    Edge starts then crashes: Win 10 Pro x64 Version 1607 Build 14393.187 Edge starts and then crashes. It brings up the Edge banner screen for about 1 second then shuts down. I can find 3 event logs that are associated with this but I can't get to the next step and work out the failure. Event Log Online...