Windows 10: Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name

Discus and support Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I had to install a new hard drive recently. However the laptop technician made a typo with my name. I tried to change it in the control panel, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SamsonLiu, Sep 16, 2020.

1. SamsonLiu Win User

Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name

So I had to install a new hard drive recently. However the laptop technician made a typo with my name. I tried to change it in the control panel, but I still see my old wrong name in git and cmd. So I followed this guide to change the username. I changed the name in both netplwiz window, the registry table, as well as my folder name C:\users\{oldName} => C:\users\{newName}.

However, after the change, I noticed that some of my software is broken and can't be uninstalled in the "Apps and Feature" panel in the Settings due to the name change.

And when I tried to reinstall VS Code I assume it will happen for other software. I just haven't gotten around to it, I get an error saying:

Setup was unable to create directory "C:\users\{oldName}",

Error 5: access is denied.

Thanks for the help in advance!

:)

SamsonLiu, Sep 16, 2020
  2. Martmcd Win User

How to change the name of the user

You cant reply to the automated email, it is just notifying you that a thread has a response.

going back to your original post.

when you create a new user, windows creates folders under the c:\Users directory with the account name (ie Geoff) if you rename the user, although the new name is shown on login etc the directory names don't change.

the easiest way to get rid of Geoff is to -

• change the username to something else (or back to Geoff)
    • create a new user with your name
    • copy all your documents, photos, videos etc. from Geoff to your new user
    • delete the Geoff user account and remove folders etc.
    this can all be done in user accounts as suggested by Ruth

Martmcd, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Change the user name in Windows 10

Hi Rick,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the name of the user account. Let me assist you on this issue.

You may please follow the below
    steps to change the username and check.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the User Account for which you want to change the username.
    • Click on Change the username.
    • Now enter the new name for the account.
    • Click on Change Name button.
    Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name

Change the user name in Windows 10

This advice was most helpful!

-Rick

GabrielMolina1, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name

1. Can't install VS Code after changing username and user directory name - Similar Threads - Can't install Code

2. Changing usernames in home directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing usernames in home directory.: Good day. A long time ago I setup a particular user under windows. I made a mistake somehow and left out a character though. Since then, I've reinstalled many times on multiple times. Also, on different computers. I specifically tried different usernames at setup however that...
  3. Changing usernames in home directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing usernames in home directory.: Good day. A long time ago I setup a particular user under windows. I made a mistake somehow and left out a character though. Since then, I've reinstalled many times on multiple times. Also, on different computers. I specifically tried different usernames at setup however that...
  4. How to change Microsoft username in users directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Microsoft username in users directory: Good day,My name is Christian, But windows have forever been cutting my name down to Chris under the user's directory. How easy is it to change it so it says, Christian?Since you can't just rename the folder....
  5. How to change Microsoft username in users directory

How to change Microsoft username in users directory: Good day,My name is Christian, But windows have forever been cutting my name down to Chris under the user's directory. How easy is it to change it so it says, Christian?Since you can't just rename the folder....
  6. Can't change user name is C:\Users

Can't change user name is C:\Users: I'm using Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H2I clean installed this OS and while installation I used my registered email ID.Now I noticed that C:\Users\ has a folder with wrong spelling of my name that I would like to change.I tried to rename it in safe mode and by...
  7. Change Windows User Name after install?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows User Name after install?: This is a small but annoying problem. I have a new dell XPS with Win 10 Pro and they mispelled my name when it was installed. How do I change the Username shown here? I've looked everywhere and haven't found a way. Do I have to install a new user with the correct name, and...
  8. Can't install VS Code

Can't install VS Code: I can't install VS Code on my PC. While installing, it shows a message, "Setup was unable to create the directory 'C:\Users\User_Name', Error 5: Access is denied." PS: I changed my username couple of days ago....
  9. How to change the name in the user directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the name in the user directory: I tried using Regedit but then I can only access a temporary account. Command prompt doesn’t let me change user names despite running as admin. submitted by /u/showandabe [link] [comments]...
  10. Can't change User name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't change User name: After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows 10 user account. I used Control Panel to go to Users, but there seemed to be no way to change the name back to the original....