Windows 10: Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

Discus and support Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell Precision 3630 tower set up in RAID 1 with two 2TB HDD's. I removed both drives and installed two new 2TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD's. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by westwind101, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

I have a Dell Precision 3630 tower set up in RAID 1 with two 2TB HDD's. I removed both drives and installed two new 2TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD's. I insert my W10 thumb drive, it goes through the loading file process and gets to the screen where I select between 32 & 64 bit OS. I pick 64 and press enter, the screen goes blank and after a minute it comes up with an error stating that something has changed with the computer and it can't proceed with the install.

I have gone into the bios and both the new SSD's are showing. Bios is updated to the latest version as well.

I have changed a number of my computers to SSD's over the years but this is the first time I have had issues.

The W10 thumb drive I have is a couple years old so I went to MS site and used their creation tool to make a 'new' one. Maybe that will work, who knows.

Has anyone else had this issue. Is there something I'm missing for this particular set up?

Thank you!

:)

westwind101, Jan 30, 2021

2. Installing W10 on a new SSD

Probably been asked a trillion times but I cannot find a straight forward answer.

I am soon to be changing my HDD for an SSD in my 6 month old Lenovo laptop, it came with W10 HOME pre installed with a partition for the drivers on the HDD.

If I put a new SSD in the laptop and then install W10 HOME will it automatically activate or will I have to buy a new licence as there is no key to activate on the underside of the laptop.

PeterWilkinson1964, Jan 30, 2021
  3. Swap HDD between PCs with Win10

Hi,

I just bought a ASUG G20 gaming PC that comes with a 1TB HDD and a OEM Win10 installed with a digital key. I have a custom built Win10 PC with a 500GB SSD and a Win10 digital license (from a Win8 upgrade) linked to my account.

Can I from a Win10 license point-of-view simply swap the HDD over and expect the licenses to function correctly?

My worry is that the OEM license will not work on my custom built PC and that I cannot swap the licenses "around" - any suggestions on how this functions?

Regards

Jeppe

Jeppe Funk, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

reinstalling w10 onto ssd?

laptop comes with 2 drives

it looks like this:

imgur.com

disk 1= hdd

disk 0 = sdd

question #1: what's on the ssd? is there anything needed for w10 on the ssd right now?

is there anything needed for w10 on the ssd right now? are we able to reinstall with clean install on ssd, and the w10 on the hdd would still work?

w10 installed digitally i guess? is activated

did the windows updates

problem: the 'cloning' softwares does not let me 'clone' the hdd to the sdd

question #2: why? what is the problem?

dunno which is faster, to do clean install on ssd and do updates again, or just clone

question #3: has anyone done this kind of thing recently? which is faster?

question #4: are there any good articles or youtubes that tells us what we're suppose to do?

the general sites just says one option is to use the cloning software, but they dont tell explain to us what we're suppose to do

another option seems to be 'system image' but that seems extremely complicated with so many steps

laptophelpthx, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

1. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap - Similar Threads - Can't install W10

2. install w10 in a hdd partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  3. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  4. Swapping to ssd?

Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  5. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License): Hey guys! I’m in the process of upgrading/changing my parts. Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 7 3700x and B550 ROG -F Strix Gaming. I will also be switching boot priority to the 1 Tb SSD. I currently have a 1 Tb HDD that I want to transfer files over to the SSD. I also have an...
  6. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...
  7. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  8. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10: I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also are (GPT are greyed out in diskmanager. So what can I do to get acess ? Finn ***Moved from Insiders forum***...
  9. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  10. replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade: replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade and activation If I clean install W10 to the new SSD, will Windows activate automatically..... thanks 45559