Windows 10: Can't install Windows 10 from a USB Disk

Discus and support Can't install Windows 10 from a USB Disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a ROG G20AJ Bios Version 0703 x64 Windows 10 Around 3 years of use. A while ago, my pc would turn on but the CPU fans would instantly stop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gincal, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Gincal Win User

Can't install Windows 10 from a USB Disk

I have a ROG G20AJ
    Bios Version 0703 x64
    Windows 10
    Around 3 years of use.

A while ago, my pc would turn on but the CPU fans would instantly stop and I wouldn't be able to interact with anything at all, just an infinite loop of turning the monitor on and off. A friend of mine said it would happen with him whenever he disconnected the gpu or some other components for cleaning and that finding the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS would usually solve it, so we did that and it worked.

Two days ago, my PC wouldn't turn on again, but I could access the BIOS, but my SSD where I had my windows installed wouldn't be an option in the boot options, even though it was recognized. After clicking directly on it, instead of really choosing it as an option, it would turn black and come back to the same interface, showing me that it wasn't being able to boot from there.

I took it apart, reset the battery, and came back in. This time I don't remember if I even got to see the BIOS interface, but it got to a point where I couldn't even see the image pop-up of the "Press F1 to enter the BIOS setup" and could only see an image for a fraction of a second which said "Press CTRL + I to enter configuration" and it turned out to be the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. In another post, someone told me to still smash the F1, even though the image didn't pop-up, and it did work and I was able to reach the BIOS interface.

I downloaded an image of Windows into a flash drive in hopes of formatting the whole thing. I had done this before and I knew how to do it and what I didn't know I searched for. In previous formats, I had to mess with the command prompt before starting the Windows setup. This time I had to do it, but for a new reason, I had to change my SSD out of GPT format or into, one of them. Nevertheless, I was able to format both my SSD and HDD and start the installation of Windows 10, but, at some point, it needed to restart, which it did, but when it turned back on it didn't go into the windows setup interface, instead it entered the same infinite loop of turning my monitor on and off and in which I could never get into the BIOS interface, no matter how hard and for how long I tried smashing the F1 button.

So I decided I was gonna reset the battery again and try to mess a bit more with the boot priorities and so on.

So I did that and I got into the BIOS I always can get into the BIOS the first time I boot the PC and my flashdrive where the image of windows is had two options, both in the "Boot priorities" and in the "Manual boot option", one that read "UEFI FAT USB DISK 2.0" and one that just read " USB DISK 2.0" yeah, it did have a "space" before the name, so I wasn't really sure which one it is, so I figured that if I put one over the other and disabled the other boot priority options it would try one and if it didn't work it'd try the other one. FYI, I put the one that said UEFI over the one that didn't. Then, as my experience with this BIOS, I had two options, either "Save and reset" or click on one of the manual options for booting. As I didn't really know which one to pick I figured I should let the boot priorities try both, so I saved and resetted, which restarted the computer but, lo and behold, it entered the same infinite loop of turning the monitor on and off and I can't reach the BIOS software no matter how hard and for how long I press the F1 key.

I even try and restart the PC, but once I get into this loop where I can't access the BIOS, I reach the conclusion only resetting the battery manually gives me the oportunity to try a different solution. Thing is, I've taken my PC apart like 4 times the last few days. And this is a factory build. Trust me, messing around with it sucks! I have to take basically everything out apart from my HDD.

Like, I usually don't get many answers, so I'll probably take it apart and try a different solution tomorrow, but I'll keep my wishful thinking that I'll get some kind of idea from one of you guys. If that's the case I'll be immensely appreciative.

I think what I'm really asking is: First of all, which order should I setup in BIOS boot priority? Also, what's the difference between "UEFI FAT USB DISK" and " USB DISK" and which one should I choose? Also, should I setup some kind of boot priority and then Save and Reset or should I just click on one of the manual options to boot? If so, which one?

Thank you very much,

Pedro

P.S. This is a repost from a different forum, since I didn't get much help from there, so it may have some "coherence" mistakes regarding the place on where it is being posted.

:)

Gincal, Oct 4, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't install Windows 10 from a USB Disk - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. Can't install Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install Windows from USB: Hi! My Windows 11 on laptop Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro crashed and laptop gone to perpetual error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I can't launch Windows in both normal and safe mode it was disabled by default.I had created installation media for Windows and launched from USB.I had 2...
  3. Can't install Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install Windows from USB: Hi! My Windows 11 on laptop Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro crashed and laptop gone to perpetual error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I can't launch Windows in both normal and safe mode it was disabled by default.I had created installation media for Windows and launched from USB.I had 2...
  4. Can't boot windows 10 from installation disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot windows 10 from installation disk: I dual booted ubuntu and win10 for a while. Then tried deleting both and doing a windows fresh install alone but now my laptop says windows installation disk is invalid operating system. I can boot Ubuntu installation disk and from gparted on Ubuntu live disk i deleted all...
  5. Unable to install from USB recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install from USB recovery disk: I created a USB recovery disk 10 months ago. Recently I had issues with my PC and went to use the recovery disk to reinstall a clean version of Windows. The PC brought up the recovery program, deleted all the files on the computer's hard drive and then failed to reinstall...
  6. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  7. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB: Hi, I was having problems with my Display Driver, it kept shutting down my PC, so I uninstalled it and it didn't shut down anymore. I had to restart my PC the other day so I went into device manager and it had installed a Microsoft Generic driver. I uninstalled that one and...
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB: Hi, I was having problems with my Display Driver, it kept shutting down my PC, so I uninstalled it and it didn't shut down anymore. I had to restart my PC the other day so I went into device manager and it had installed a Microsoft Generic driver. I uninstalled that one and...
  9. [Problem] Can't install Windows 10 from USB

[Problem] Can't install Windows 10 from USB: Hello everybody. I think that my current installation on Windows 10 64 bit is corrupted, so I decided to wipe the SDD (only unit in the system) and make a clean installation. I created a bootable USB with the media tool but when I start the boot from it after the blue...
  10. Can't install windows from a USB

Can't install windows from a USB: Went into advance system start up, formatted windows from cmd. I try to boot from the USB to install windows, however it then says automatic system repairing, diagnosing pc and takes me to the system start up. Usb was formatted on FAT32 and I used Rufus to set make it...