Windows 10: Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Discus and support Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jean-FrançoisGagnier, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Hi,

I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows.

I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online that it could be due to many things. Here are the things I've tried:

- XHCI Hand-off: Enabling, disabling it

- Legacy USB Support: Enabling, disabling it, autoing it

- UEFI/CSM Mode: UEFI mode, CSM Mode

- Secure boot: Enabled, disabled

I'm guessing that this isn't a thumb drive issue due to the fact that it works on other computers and that the bottom of the screen where it stays stuck is glitchy.

I don't know if my system itself can be an issue, but everything seems to be supported

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M Bazooka AMD AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: RTX 3080

Storage that I want to install on: Samsung 970 evo NVMe SSD

RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 3600MHz

USB 3.0 drive that has windows on: Vital 16Gb

Is this a known issue with the board? If so, how can we fix that bug?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help

:)

Jean-FrançoisGagnier, Dec 2, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Dec 2, 2020
  4. 7.62 Win User

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

USB drive doesnt show up, even after a format through windows (XP)

Any suggestions?

7.62, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

1. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive? - Similar Threads - Can't install USB

2. Can't install Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install Windows from USB: Hi! My Windows 11 on laptop Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro crashed and laptop gone to perpetual error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I can't launch Windows in both normal and safe mode it was disabled by default.I had created installation media for Windows and launched from USB.I had 2...
  3. Can't install Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install Windows from USB: Hi! My Windows 11 on laptop Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro crashed and laptop gone to perpetual error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I can't launch Windows in both normal and safe mode it was disabled by default.I had created installation media for Windows and launched from USB.I had 2...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  5. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  6. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows not installing from usb drive

Windows not installing from usb drive: Recently formatted my SSD to clear up space which also meant i has to reinstall windows. I have a bootable usb where i can initiate the installation, but it never finishes. After the first automatic restart i get sent back to the setup screen forcing me to restart the...
  8. Can't install windows from a USB

Can't install windows from a USB: Went into advance system start up, formatted windows from cmd. I try to boot from the USB to install windows, however it then says automatic system repairing, diagnosing pc and takes me to the system start up. Usb was formatted on FAT32 and I used Rufus to set make it...
  9. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001
  10. Can't install from USB drive

Can't install from USB drive: Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems.. The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update. But...