Windows 10: Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing.

Discus and support Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm new to Win 10. I want to use Audacity to record streaming audio. My new (used) Toshiba Satellite laptop came with a Conexant Smart Audio HD driver,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Airlane1979, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing.

I'm new to Win 10. I want to use Audacity to record streaming audio. My new (used) Toshiba Satellite laptop came with a Conexant Smart Audio HD driver, also new to me. I find that I can't mute the mic without muting all audio input to Audacity. I've tried installing Realtek HD which I've used before, but it fails to show up in Device Manager or in Recording Devices. Volume Mixer shows no Mic channel, but it's audibly present in the audio stream in Audacity.

I might not have the correct Audacity settings either, but I'm confused. How should I set up my audio device?

Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing. [​IMG]

View attachment 158619

Airlane1979, Oct 16, 2017
  2. Slingbo Win User

No line-In audio to Nero 14 Wave Editor after Windows 10 Install

Audio output from the speakers and the headset is present but there is no Line-In audio at the Nero 14 Wave Editor recording console. All volume levels, drivers and device settings have been checked. Audio driver is " VIA HD Audio(Win 10) version 10.0.10240.16384
    from VIA Technologies. When the playback tab is selected on the Sound dialog box menu, the corresponding level indicator shows the audio being played however, the
    recording level indicator on the recording tab shows no input. Also, the microphone input is non existent on the sound card or at the jack on the front of the computer.

Slingbo, Oct 16, 2017
  3. No microphone sound after installing Win10

I have a HP desktop Intel pentium dual CPU 2,2 GHz, 32 bit, 2 GB ram with occasionaly XP on a 160GB HDD.

I've set up the PC with a 1TB disk and Win10 from a USB stick which works great without problems, except one thing.

I have a little mixer which is connected with the line in port, to do vocal traning together with Youtube. The line out is connected to an audio amp.

It seems that there is no software connection between the mic and line out.

Actions:

The mixer straigt into the amp= OK

The mixer with 3,5 stero jack into an amp, =OK

The mixer with 3,5 jack into line in: I don't see reaction in the audio interface.

The mixer with 3,5 jack in the mic input: =OK I see reaction in the audio interface.

Tried to record some sound in Cdex: = OK

There is also sound from the line-out to the amp from the system sounds and Youtube but no sound from the mixer, mic-input through the PC to the line-out

So, if I'm right, the hardware works OK.

With XP, earlier everything works as wanted.

What is possible wrong?

<Moved from Windows Insider forums>

RobertTeune, Oct 16, 2017
  4. Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing.

Not sure why you would want to Mute a Mic but here goes :
    1 - Right click task-bar audio icon near clock (Bottom Right)
    2 - Choose "Recording devices"
    3 - In the appearing window you can right click the Mic then Disable it (Same effect as Mute) .
    4 - Or you can highlight the Mic in same window then click Properties (Button Down Right) > Levels (Tab Up) > Click the "Speaker" button next to Mic volume slider to Mute it .

P.S Note that "Line in" might not show in "Recording devices" not until you plug it in , and if the whole idea was to use it then you do not need to Mute the Mic , but rather right clicking it and choosing "Set As Default Device"

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 17, 2017
  5. Unfortunately this doesn't work. I want to record streaming online audio but the mic is on, mixing in ambient sound which I don't want. Muting the mic in 'Recording Devices' also mutes the streaming audio. I need to turn the mic off.

I've tried uninstalling the audio driver and installing Realtek but Realtek fails to appear in 'Recording Devices' or even in Device Manager.

Airlane1979, Oct 17, 2017
  6. Actually this is a pure Audacity question unrelated to the forum , but you are lucky I've encountered your hassle and know a little about it . For a start almost 99% of laptops do not come with a audio driver supporting "Stereo Mixer" which is a virtual device allowing for play back of "Loop-back Audio" (What you call an audio stream out) which affected in return loop-back audio recording (The possibility to capture audio stream in / played audio) .

The reasons behind that is unknown , some say its pure laziness by manufacturers , some say it was a demand by recording companies highly affected by internet audio piracy & some had few conspiracy theories about it .

Basically there are few solutions out there of these are Audacity (You brought up) where you can use to record a stream by switching from "Windows Direct Sound" to "Windows WASA" then choosing "Speakers" as an input source instead of "Primary Audio Device" .

Playback of mixed streams (Mic/Line Input + Loop-back Audio) however is still highly crippled , either achieved by modified sound drivers by audio geeks or 3rd party programs like Virtual Audio Cable which is very annoying to setup and few others .

P.S You can check to see if your laptop is of the 1% that legitimately supports audio "Stereo Mixer" by following this guide .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 17, 2017
  7. Excellent reply. I set Audacity as you suggest and it works. To my perfectionist mind, there's one flaw: with all volumes to max, the recording level is rather low, as the attached snip shows. Any ideas how to increase it? My previous Win 7 laptop allowed far more level than this, using a Realtek driver.

8. Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing.

Conexant Smart Audio is known to have lower voice output compared to Realtek , however most manufacturers who adopt it lately add branded speaker controllers (Such as Dolby , JBL etc) that appear in control panel , they often have equalizer and add up features that can improve volume and quality in general .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 17, 2017
  9. Mine has something called Smart Audio which as the snip shows is up to max. Are there free add-ons to boost audio level?

10. That's what you get by default but there should be an additional controller in control panel for speakers judging your laptop comes with a non economical one (Should be printed on laptop itself if they were) .

Mine has a controller called Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater . But you need to add your laptop model number and specs to the post in case someone knows or have came across it , also i suggest consulting Toshiba's forum on how to raise volume , they should know better .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 17, 2017
  11. Okay, thanks, I'll investigate.

Airlane1979, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing.

1. Can't isolate line audio from mic input; audio driver not showing. - Similar Threads - Can't isolate line

2. Can't download Audio Input and Output Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't download Audio Input and Output Drivers: I'm trying to download new Audio Input/Output drivers on my laptop because I don't have any speakers downloaded currently, but the category for "Audio inputs and outputs" isn't coming up in my device manager, probably because i don't have any installed, even though i have...
  3. Can't download Audio Input and Output Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't download Audio Input and Output Drivers: I'm trying to download new Audio Input/Output drivers on my laptop because I don't have any speakers downloaded currently, but the category for "Audio inputs and outputs" isn't coming up in my device manager, probably because i don't have any installed, even though i have...
  4. Can't download Audio Input and Output Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PC audio is mixed with mic input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC audio is mixed with mic input: When I am on a voice chat with someone, they can hear themselves. Whenever I play sound through my Windows 11 PC, they are able to hear it. This makes VC's really tough. I don't know what the issue is, whether it is with my mic or with my pc. It worked up until recently. I...
  6. PC audio is mixed with mic input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC audio is mixed with mic input: When I am on a voice chat with someone, they can hear themselves. Whenever I play sound through my Windows 11 PC, they are able to hear it. This makes VC's really tough. I don't know what the issue is, whether it is with my mic or with my pc. It worked up until recently. I...
  7. No Audio & No Mic - Driver Issue

No Audio & No Mic - Driver Issue: I have spend multiple hours on this issue and can't resolve it. Here is what's known:- Latest Realtek driver available from the PC manufacturer installed 6.0.1.8639 - https://rog.asus.com/desktops/mid-tower/rog-strix-gl10cs-series/helpdesk_download . Allows me to access the...
  8. Condenser microphone in rear Mic Input merges with the Line-in input so my microphone audio...

Condenser microphone in rear Mic Input merges with the Line-in input so my microphone audio...: TV is connected my Line-In port via 3.5mm Jack. This picks up my TV audio and I can listen to it by listening to the line in device. I have recently bought a small condenser mic that plugs into the Rear Mic Input Port. This microphone works as I have tested it without the...
  9. Windows not receiving mic audio input

Windows not receiving mic audio input: Hello, this is a common problem from what I've read so far. Summed up, Windows 10 detects my new headset's mic but is not receiving any audio input from it. When I speak or tap on the mic, no green bars appear in the sound menu as well as discord/windows voice recorder not...
  10. Mic pick al audio input

Mic pick al audio input: I don't know why, but my mic in picking all the playback sound, even if my headphones and speakers are closed. It's acting like a speaker. I have to mention that the "Listen to this device" is't checked....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to isolate audio inputs