Windows 10: Can't kill explorer.exe and more...

Discus and support Can't kill explorer.exe and more... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my laptop froze in the middle of web browsing and I had to force shutdown. Upon rebooting back to desktop and running my cleanup bat script,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TD070VA1, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TD070VA1 Win User

Can't kill explorer.exe and more...

So my laptop froze in the middle of web browsing and I had to force shutdown.

Upon rebooting back to desktop and running my cleanup bat script, explorer.exe is showing strange behavior where I couldn't kill it (this is part of the bat script). So I rebooted again to desktop but this time I didn't run my cleanup script, instead I attempted to kill explorer.exe myself with both taskmgr and taskkill, no luck. The desktop vanished, but the process is still in the list. taskkill couldn't kill explorer.exe because "there is no instance of this process running".

pskill or pskill64 from Sysinternals reported false success after one run and then failure afterwards ("access denied").

After a few similar experiments. I found a temporary solution. Before logging into desktop, sleep, then wake up and log in. After that everything went well (I think).

I suspect that this may be software related but I didn't install anything for the past few weeks. In fact the latest installation was cygwin, then Firefox beta. For hardware, the problematic Mediatek MT7630E Wi-Fi driver is the source of all my frustration but disabling it does not solve the problem.

Anyone knows what's going on?

:)

TD070VA1, Nov 1, 2017

2. Can't create folders in Windows 10 file folder

More info: while the right-click menu froze (e.g., right clicked an html file and then clicked Open With), I killed a dllhost.exe process (but no thread number) in the Analyze Wait Chain of explorer.exe (in Task Manager). Then (before Windows or explorer.exe
    was restarted) the issue was gone (e.g. an html file could be opened with Edge from the Open With menu).

C. F. Chan, Nov 1, 2017
  3. Explorer.exe Server Execution Failed

I had accidentally killed Explorer.exe from a batch file. After restarting it, I get the following error: "Explorer.exe - Server Execution Failed". Please help.

HardikSharma1, Nov 1, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi TD070VA1 and welcome to Tenforums.

You could pick some kind of malware, when browser crashed. Try checking with Malwarebytes and ADWcleaner. Rkil could be helpful, if malware detects other apps and prevent them to run.

to be clear: I'm nut sure that this is malware related....

AndreTen, Nov 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't kill explorer.exe and more... - Similar Threads - Can't kill explorer

2. You need a new exe to open this exe file and more

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You need a new exe to open this exe file and more: Cause : I set an app to open all .3ds files and then Later I deleted the app.Effect : I can't open apps :"You need a new app to open this .exe file", and I can't run as administrator or reset or reinstall windows!...
  3. You need a new exe to open this exe file and more

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You need a new exe to open this exe file and more: Cause : I set an app to open all .3ds files and then Later I deleted the app.Effect : I can't open apps :"You need a new app to open this .exe file", and I can't run as administrator or reset or reinstall windows!...
  4. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  5. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  6. Kill and Restart Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Kill and Restart Explorer.: I have a Toolbar Shortcut to Kill and Restart Explorer. The below does NOT work when entered into the Target [ Start In: C:\Windows\system32 ] . . . Code: C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /im explorer.exe && start explorer.exe . . . but these do . . . Code: cmd.exe /c...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Is is true that .exe viruses are more dangerous?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is is true that .exe viruses are more dangerous?: I was watching a video of a guy who was testing the WannaCry ransomware and he said that if it was a .exe file, it could become dangerously more harmful, is that true?...
  9. one more reason to kill pc doctor

in Windows 10 Support
    one more reason to kill pc doctor: Warning Issued For Millions Of Microsoft Windows 10 Users 135311
  10. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...
Tags: