Windows 10: Cant legacy boot any OS or installer

Discus and support Cant legacy boot any OS or installer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two Dell Inspiron 3250 that are a month old. They are both set to legacy boot and I can boot Win7, Win10, MSDART, etc without issue. I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JackP, Nov 30, 2016.

1. JackP Win User

Cant legacy boot any OS or installer

I have two Dell Inspiron 3250 that are a month old. They are both set to legacy boot and I can boot Win7, Win10, MSDART, etc without issue. I just ordered an identical system and setup the BIOS/UEFI exactly the same as the other systems. The new box crashes when I try to legacy boot anything including the Win 10 install DVD and bootable MSDART thumb drive and even the hard drive from one of the working systems (all work perfectly on the other 2 systems). I can boot/install under UEFI boot, but I want to use legacy. The only difference between the new system and the 2 old is the BIOS version (old is 2.4.2, new is 3.3.6)

I tried to downgrade the BIOS with the Windows utility and also a DOS bootable utility. Both methods report that the BIOS is locked.

I talked to Dell tech support and they informed me that the BIOS cant be upgrades/downgraded on that system which makes no sense to me. He also said that 3.3.6 doesnt support legace boot, which also makes no sense and legacy boot is clearly still an option that can be chosen

I also tried the RAM from one of the other computers just to be sure it wasn't an issue.
    The BSOD I get when booting Win10 install DVD, or with the Working Win10 install from the other computer is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here with legacy boot, and why I cant up/down grade BIOS.

Thanks

:)

JackP, Nov 30, 2016

2. booting error

i recently installed Kali Linux on my Windows 10 pc to make it dual boot.I installed it through legacy mod,but now i cant boot windows in legacy ,while it is working perfectly on UEFI .please help ASAP

sudevsudarsan, Nov 30, 2016
  3. AndrewMZO Win User
    Problems with installing Windows 10 Home OEM on New PC

When booting windows, I always boot from UEFI: Verbatim USB. I cant do dvd since I dont have a optical drive.

Boot Config:

Fast Boot (enabled)

Next Boot after AC Power Loss (normal boot)

CSM Settings:

Launch CSM (enabled)

Boot Device Control (UEFI and LEGACY OPROM)

BOOT from Network Devices (Legacy only)

Boot from Storage Devices ( UEFI driver first)

Boot from PCIE Expansion Devices (legacy only)

Boot/Secure Boot

Secure Boot State (enabled)

Platform Key(PK) State (loaded)

OS TYPE (windows UEFI mode)

Boot Order:

My ssd (1), VeratimStoreNGO5.00 (2), UEFI:VerbatimStoreNGo (3)

AndrewMZO, Nov 30, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

Check the motherboard in the new system. I suspect it has an upgraded motherboard and if it does, many new motherboards will not support anything other than Win 10. I have a new ASUS Z170 chipset motherboard (I just built a new system) and it ONLY supports Win 10. I had looked at an ASRock Z170 motherboard and it came with a special disc that would allow it to be Win 7/8.1 compatible.

The Dell Community (forum) would be a good place to post your question. Many user Dell experts there that help.
    Dell Community - Dell Community

fireberd, Nov 30, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    In the Bios, under the Security tab, make sure Secure boot is Disabled, or is in Setup Mode.
    Why do you need to Legacy Boot the computer? You can create a UEFI bootable Windows Installer Flash drive with Rufus in my signature. You can use any Windows ISO, 7, 8, or 10.

spunk, Dec 1, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2016
  7. JackP Win User
    Secure boot is disabled. When you enable legacy boot it gets disabled automatically.
    As I said I am able to boot under legacy, just then no OS or setup runs, it crashes.

NavyLCDR - Idont want to create a UEFI boot, I want to install under legacy and can't.

It may be as fireberd stated, Motherboard looks identical but BIOS version is newer and maybe doesn't support legacy. Kinda strange since it is still an option. As far as only supporting Win10, I can't even run Win10 setup under legacy. Setup crashes as well with same error.

As suggested, I just posted in the Dell forums

THanks

JackP, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant legacy boot any OS or installer - Similar Threads - Cant legacy boot

2. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  3. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  4. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  6. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  7. If laptop has only UEFI boot is there ANY workaround to boot Legacy?

in Windows 10 Support
    If laptop has only UEFI boot is there ANY workaround to boot Legacy?: A laptop i purchased verify recently, seems to have ONLY UEFI boot in the BIOS setings. Would like to verify from the knowledgeable ones here whether there is any workaround or solution to boot a legacy CD/usb/iso at all? Thanks 169200
  8. cant install any antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cant install any antivirus: Hi I had SuperAnti spyware trial installed, but then decided to remove it....got stuck on the uninstall 30% so used Revo uninstaller and removed recommnded `traces`....also getting annoying `Norton renew your licemce ` pop up Ad window, every so often in firefox, not sure if...
  9. Computer crashed and cant boot into os

Computer crashed and cant boot into os: Was playing Ark and the computer crashed, showing DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Restarted on it's own and would continually crash with several BOS. KMODE EXECUTION NOT HANDLED PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA KERNEL MODE KEEP CORRUPTION SYSTEM THREAD EXECUTION SYSTEM SERVICE...
  10. Installing some OS's in UEFI and some using Legacy BIOS

Installing some OS's in UEFI and some using Legacy BIOS: Hello, I've installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu using UEFI. But, now I created a bootable USB for a Linux that does not support UEFI, but only Legacy. I mean, when I plug the USB to my laptop, the UEFI does not recognize it, only the Legacy BIOS does. Is it possible to...