Windows 10: Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error)

Discus and support Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After restarting and updating last night, my PC wouldn't boot up into Windows 10 this morning. I created a recovery drive on a USB stick, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlbertHung1, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error)

After restarting and updating last night, my PC wouldn't boot up into Windows 10 this morning. I created a recovery drive on a USB stick, and depending on what bootup sequence I chose in my BIOS, I was told that there was either an error with my BCD or that winload.exe was missing.

For the BCD issue, I've tried the bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd methods. /Fixmbr operation was successful but it didn't fix anything. /Fixboot failed because I got the "access denied" error. /rebuildbcd failed because a "system resource" could not be found.

I don't have a 16gb USB drive so I did not copy system backup files when creating my recovery drive.

I'm able to get into Windows sometimes after fiddling around with the boot sequence, but Windows will only work as long as I have the USB drive inserted. As soon as I pull it out, it stops working.

Other than a fresh install of Windows, what are my options?

If a fresh install is the only solution, and I'm not able to create the complete recovery drive (with system backup files), is there any other tool I can use? Will the Media Creation Tool create something that I can use to do a fresh install of Windows without being able to log into Windows first?

:)

AlbertHung1, Oct 15, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Error: File\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. Error Code: 0xc0000185 on Windows 10

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. We will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error)

Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error)

1. Can't load Windows 10 after recent update (winload.exe, BCD error) - Similar Threads - Can't load recent

2. Bcd error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bcd error: Hi, Microsoft my windows recently deleted and i get stuck on the error 0xc000014 help me to recover or get back my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bcd-error/652903ca-3484-4a79-bb01-c6f48b7a4704
  3. Error on windows 10 BCD and BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error on windows 10 BCD and BSOD: my problem is i had BCD screen, i cant do anything about it, when i search on internet i found that the solution is go to recovery which is i had to make bootable windows, when i turn on my laptop with a bootable fd, it should be go to windows installation right? but it not,...
  4. Error on windows 10 BCD and BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on windows 10 BCD and BSOD: my problem is i had BCD screen, i cant do anything about it, when i search on internet i found that the solution is go to recovery which is i had to make bootable windows, when i turn on my laptop with a bootable fd, it should be go to windows installation right? but it not,...
  5. BCD error

BCD error: Hello everyone, I got a message “Restart to repair drive errors” notification from Security and maintenance. I had got this notification several times, so I clicked it this time so that it won’t show it again. I clicked on it, and clicked “Restart now”. While the spinning...
  6. Winload exe. Unable to boot

Winload exe. Unable to boot: Hi. i am getting a blue screen containing this error when booting to os simalar to those in this thread...
  7. Can't install anything after recent update - Windows 10

Can't install anything after recent update - Windows 10: Hello, Hopefully someone can help me cause this problem is driving me mad. Ever since the most recent update for windows 10, I have been unable to install any programs or software. To give you an idea of what's happening, I tried downloading Google Chrome yesterday, once I...
  8. Windows 10 BCD error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 BCD error: Looking for assistance with this problem surprised to see its been going on since 2015 yet dont see any solutions that work well. I have experience this error Oxo000014c numerous times since October 19 and have got going again using a windows recovery disk which is a pain...
  9. programs loading slowly after recent Windows 10 updates

programs loading slowly after recent Windows 10 updates: Does anyone have any ideas on why PC is so slow loading programs after recent updates? I have tried all the suggestions I have found online....
  10. Windows 10 won't load - tried to fix bcd

Windows 10 won't load - tried to fix bcd: Hi all; When booting laptop can't find OS. Did bcdboot c:\windows /s c: - successful did bootrec / fixmbr - successful did bootrec /fixboot - data error (cyclic redundancy check) ran a chkdsk /offlinescanandfix - no errors I can get to a dos prompt via the...