Windows 10: Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen

Discus and support Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; EDIT: I solved the issue. On the GitHub page for the program there was already a well-written tutorial on how to fix the issue. Heh. Well, I made a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kidneybot, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Kidneybot Win User

Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen

EDIT: I solved the issue. On the GitHub page for the program there was already a well-written tutorial on how to fix the issue. Heh.

Well, I made a big mistake. I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 without a hitch an hour ago and kept all of my personal files and apps. I set up my start menu and everything was working fine, but I wanted to change the image on the logon screen (or whatever you call the screen in between the lock screen and the screen where you enter your PIN/info). So I took a risk and downloaded the 3rd party app here: https://github.com/PFCKrutonium/Wind...ground-Changer and uploaded an image and hit apply. Of course right after doing that I went to lock my PC to see if it worked, and as you can tell... it didn't.

I've tried rebooting and it hasn't helped. It's just very rapidly flashing between a blue screen w/ a loading circle and my lock screen image. Is there anything I can do about this, or am I screwed?

Thanks so much for any and all advice. I'm pretty disappointed in myself for taking such a silly risk.

:)

Kidneybot, Aug 12, 2015

2. PC blue screen of death after loading PC suite

I can't offer any blue screen details as it flashes on screen and then the pc reboots. Is it logged anywhere?

Regards

Steve

dukeleto---01, Aug 12, 2015
  3. No login screen thus, impossible to login

There IS NO login screen so I can't login to fulfill a clean boot. As I said, the lock screen shows up, i click, it scrolls down but no user or password box appears for ~10 seconds before it flashes blue and goes back to the lock screen.

KamilMajewski, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Aagaman Win User

Hi Kidneybot!
    I am facing the same issue with my fresh installation of windows 10 with the login screen flashing blue and lockscreen and the cursor showing busy circle. I first suspected changing the login screen wallpaper was the culprit but after resetting my windows 10 installation I again faced this issue. My hard drive got replaced and clean installed and Reactivated Windows 10 this time 'without' taking the risk of changing the login screen wallpaper. But alas! the same problem again! I suspect it is something to do with some internal windows 10 update as the problem happened right after my laptop installed important Microsoft Update. I tried booting into all 3 safe modes (I changed to 'legacy' boot manager beforehand to enable safe mode as it is not enabled by default in windows 8/8.1/10) but the problem showed up in all 3 modes which indicates it is NOT something to do with incompatible Drivers. In the end I just reverted back to Windows 8 as I cannot afford my work PC to fail on me. Please share if you find any solutions or workarounds. Thanks

FYI
    My laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad L430
    Graphics - Nvidia NVS 5400M/ Intel HD 4000
    RAM - 6 GB
    Storage - Hitachi 500GB HDD
    No externally attached peripherals and hardware
    No Anti Virus installed. Only Windows Defender
    No 3rd Party Windows 10 Mods
    Windows 10 was installed fresh in UEFI Mode with Secure Boot Disabled

Aagaman, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Kidneybot Win User
    Kidneybot, Aug 28, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    These symptoms are the aftermath of KB308144 and KB3081441, remove those and it will stop. You may have to do a system restore.

If there is another way to fix it, I'd like to see a link to that GitHub article you mention. Ah, you posted it, thanks- But you should still remove KB3081444.

XweAponX, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Aagaman Win User
    Thanks XweAponX!
    I suspected the reason to be a faulty windows update and I was correct. Thanks for pointing out the code for the two updates. It seems this issue is not that widespread as quite a few of my friends are not facing this issue with their installation of Windows 10. I don't know if Microsoft knows about this issue but I would definitely like to escalate this issue with the senior engineers at Microsoft. If any member here knows about their contact details then please share.

Aagaman, Aug 29, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

Actually if you check the Insider Hub, there are more complaints about that update than any other feature of Windows 10. But I suspect that older systems or older video cards are affected by it.

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't log in. Flashing between lock screen & blue screen - Similar Threads - Can't log Flashing

2. Can't log in - stuck on lock screen image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in - stuck on lock screen image.: When my PC loads there is nowhere to input my password. It is just the background image, there are no other buttons etc. on the screen. If I try to click or press any keys the image fades out for a second then comes back and nothing changes.I...
  3. Can't log in - stuck on lock screen image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in - stuck on lock screen image.: When my PC loads there is nowhere to input my password. It is just the background image, there are no other buttons etc. on the screen. If I try to click or press any keys the image fades out for a second then comes back and nothing changes.I...
  4. Blue screen and not logging in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen and not logging in.: My pc didnt work so i resteted it, then a blue screen appeared and made me log in my account, the password being wrong even tho i put the right one, so i downloaded windows 10 oon my brothers pc on a usb drive, but i tried to factory reset my pc using windows uefi bios...
  5. Flashing log in screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flashing log in screen: Please help. I tried to turn on my Windows laptop today and the login screen is continually flashing with a buffer icon. I am unable to do anything. I can't open Task Manager or restart it. I have the latest versions of all software installed....
  6. Flashing log in screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flashing log in screen: Please help. I tried to turn on my Windows laptop today and the login screen is continually flashing with a buffer icon. I am unable to do anything. I can't open Task Manager or restart it. I have the latest versions of all software installed....
  7. After logging on screen flashes between desktop background picture and plain screen color.

in Windows 10 Customization
    After logging on screen flashes between desktop background picture and plain screen color.: Hi, this is driving me mad and and I just logged on to my laptop and the same thing is happening. I am running the latest preview version, 21213 and all was OK and then it updated the .net and I think it started then. It boots to safe mode OK I have an admin user ID on...
  8. flashing blue screen on log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flashing blue screen on log in: hey so I've searched all over the internet for a solution and yet to find it, the problem is that every time i power on the pc and log in the entire screen is flickering in a blue screen and the only way to stop it is to do a forced shutdownholding down the power button and...
  9. Flashing log on screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flashing log on screen: Hi I have had issues with a flashing log on screen on my Win10 2004 reinstalled Win10 last week from scratch to see if that helps but it hasn't. The screen is connected via either DVI-D or D SUB cables. I was using the built in graphics but decided to go for a dedicated...
  10. lock screen and flash player

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    lock screen and flash player: every time I close my lid my screen locks and I have to sign in constantly, how can I unlock it. also, my flash player keeps going from allow to block, please help...