Windows 10: Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't...

Discus and support Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, Is there anyone who knows how to bypass or reset local Windows 10 password using my current PIN? I'm trying to use my Microsoft account... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by PiCen, Apr 15, 2020.

1. PiCen Win User

Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't...

Hi,

Is there anyone who knows how to bypass or reset local Windows 10 password using my current PIN?

I'm trying to use my Microsoft account instead of my local account but it's asking for my local password not my PIN to proceed. I can't remember my local password as I've always used PIN to log in. I don't want to start resetting my local password lest I end up permanently deleting my data, programs & settings Reset local account password for Windows 10, before version 1803 can seem to do that. On a side note I do haveversion 1809 but created my password back in 2016 & don't think I ever changed it so I'm afraid to experiment.

Any help is much appreciated.

Pia

:)

PiCen, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Apr 15, 2020
  3. train Win User
    Use Microsoft account but with local password instead

As the other answer states, the latest November update allows Cortana to work with local accounts. However, I'll go into details about it since it's not as simple and clear cut as one might think. (the other answer didn't go into the details)

You'll still need to login with a Microsoft account, but the difference now is that the Microsoft account information can be JUST for Cortana as opposed to having the Microsoft account information for BOTH Cortana and your login. (which was an all or nothing type of deal) Make sense? In other words, with the November update, you log into Cortana with your Microsoft account ONCE and still keep the ability to use a local account to log into your computer at startup/resume.

To go through step by step, you simply click on Cortana and when it asks for your Microsoft account, you go ahead and login. Afterwards (here's the important step), you need to make sure to click on the "sign in to just this app instead" link so preserve the local account you're using. See below for a screenshot.

(screenshot from www.digitalcitizen.life)

Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't... vunlq.jpg

train, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't...

local password

Hi AJ,

In order to sign in with your local password, you need to set your computer to sign in with your local account instead of your Microsoft account. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings > Accounts > Your account.
    • In the right pane, click the option Sign in with a local account instead.
    • To confirm that you authorize the changes, enter the password for your Microsoft account, then hit
      Next.
    • On the Switch to a local account page, input your local user name and password.
    • Click Next to sign out from your Microsoft account and sign back in using your local account.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't...

1. Can't log in with my Microsoft account instead of local - asking for local password can't... - Similar Threads - Can't log Microsoft

2. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.: It is a completely fresh install on a completely wiped drive. I have gone through all steps I could find regarding this. Last I tried was messing with netplwiz and that process before I gave in and just started from fresh. only to have the same problem. The big issue is, I...
  3. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.: It is a completely fresh install on a completely wiped drive. I have gone through all steps I could find regarding this. Last I tried was messing with netplwiz and that process before I gave in and just started from fresh. only to have the same problem. The big issue is, I...
  4. getting "password is incorrect" trying to log into microsoft account instead of local account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.: A repair place replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 11 Home to my desktop. They created my first initial and last name as the local account administrator. I want to sign into my Microsoft account and cannot. I did the following, but it didn't work: I went to...
  6. Can't remember my local account password

Can't remember my local account password: Hello!I can't remember my password for my local account. Luckily I put on AutoAdminLogOn when I got my computer, but when I want to change some settings, I can't cause I don't remember my password. There suppose to be DefaultPassword stored in...
  7. Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In

Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In: Trying to switch from one Microsoft account to another on laptop. Went through set up as local user, typed in password 2x and hint. Went to next steps as screen instructed. Tried to log in under local user and password wont work. How can I get back in and sign in with my...
  8. Windows 10: Can't sign in with Microsoft Account instead of Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Can't sign in with Microsoft Account instead of Local Account: I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop. When trying to "sign in with a Microsoft account instead" of a Local Account, I get this error: Oops, something went wrong Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again. I did get an error code on the first few dozens...
  9. can't find Sign in with a local account instead

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    can't find Sign in with a local account instead: Hello Everyone, I upgraded my machine windows 8 to windows 10 last month. Using Local Account "Administrator" but few days back i entered my MS account to use store after that it asking me login to machine with MS Account not local account. And i cant find the option of...
  10. Can't log out of local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't log out of local account: For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account a couple days ago. Now the PC hangs up with a blank screen for about 5 minutes when I try to log out. Eventually the PC...