Windows 10: Can't log into Cortana

Discus and support Can't log into Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I already have a Microsoft account that I've been using for some months with OneDrive. When I start Cortana it requires me to log into that account. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anthony2816, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Can't log into Cortana

I already have a Microsoft account that I've been using for some months with OneDrive. When I start Cortana it requires me to log into that account. I do so, but then it pops up a screen telling me to "Enter your old password one last time", and then "From here on out, you'll unlock this device using the password or PIN you just set up. Before we can say goodbye to your local password, you need to provide it one last time." It then gives me another password box and says "(leave blank if none)".

But it won't let me leave it blank, and when I re-enter my Microsoft account password, it tells me its incorrect...even though it works fine with OneDrive. I have no idea what PIN it refers to, nor what it is trying to accomplish...but it has stopped me trying out Cortana.

Help?

:)

Anthony2816, Jul 31, 2015

2. cant log into cortana

When I try to log into Cortana it asks for my email and password to carry on from where we left off then the next screen for a pass word then goes straight back to the beginning again. I have the correct language settings and country. Any ideas
    of how to log in to her. thank you

phoenixmoon13, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Babu V Win User
    cant log into cortana

Hi Phoenix,

I suggest you to switch the Microsoft Account to Local Account and then create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id.

Step 1: To switch to local user account follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key +W”.

b. Type “users” without quotes in the search box.

c. Then select “Users” from the left panel.

d. You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.

e. Select “Switch to a local account” option.

f. Enter the required details.

g. Then login to the local account and check how it works.

Step 2: Now create a new Microsoft Account using the same email id and check if you face any further issues.

To create a new User Account follow these steps:

• Click on Start. Click on
      Settings.
    • Type ‘Add, delete and manage other user accounts’ in search box.
    • Now click on ‘Add someone else to this pc’.
    • And follow the instructions to create a new User Account.

Also refer to this link: Why does Cortana ask me to “Enter your old password one last time”?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Babu V, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Can't log into Cortana

So from what I've read elsewhere, perhaps the problem is that I'm logging into my Windows account using a local name and password, rather than using my Microsoft account name and password? Is that for real, that you can't use Cortana unless you use the latter to log into Windows??

Anthony2816, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Kradrick Win User
    upon trying the password i use to log into windows it went through without a hitch, so it wants you to log into your microsoft account then with the password you use for your windows user account, do that and it works fine

Kradrick, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Kradrick Win User
    see above post, i edited the wrong post when i hit edit so above post is both of the posts i made with original in quotes

Kradrick, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Thanks, Kradrick, I never tried using my Windows password. I'd love to try it out, but unfortunately at the moment when I click on the search bar, Cortana tells me I need to enter my Microsoft name and password, and then flips to a "Just a moment..." screen, and just stays there. Unfortunately, if I try to do anything else, the screen vanishes. I let it run for ten minutes to no avail.

Just one thing after another with Cortana. Next time I go out I'll just leave it running and see if it ever decides to progress.

Anthony2816, Aug 1, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

Can't log into Cortana

I will never use a Microsoft account. My password is over 16 characters long, but that is apparently the maximum length that r Microsoft account's password can be.

9. Well, I did just that. Left the "Just a moment..." screen running while I was gone for two hours. Came back to find it was finally on the enter-your-Microsoft-name-and-password screen. Started to enter my email address, and after typing about half of it the screen was suddenly replaced with the same "Just a moment..." screen again!

Microsoft's definition of "moment" is several orders of magnitude different than mine.

Anthony2816, Aug 2, 2015
  10. Markrogo Win User
    How do you et to your Microsoft page to find out what your password is. I too tried my msn password but apparently that would be too easy for Microsoft to have gone with - after all it would have made perfect sense!

Markrogo, Aug 4, 2015
  11. In my case I used the email and password I had created for my OneDrive account.

Anthony2816, Aug 4, 2015
  12. Markrogo Win User
    TX Anthony - I finally figured out what Cortana is looking for when entering the "enter your old password 1 last time" - It was the password I used to log into Windows when I turn it on. It then has you select a pin that only works on the PC you are on (FYI)

Markrogo, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Markrogo Win User

Can't log into Cortana

For me entering my password to get into windows when I boot up was what she was looking for. It will then have you ter a new pin that will only work on that PC so hackers can't use it to take control of your computer (security measure).

Markrogo, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Yeah, I finally picked up on that...but it never asked me to make a PIN. It just went right into Cortana.

And having spent a few minute playing with Cortana, I'm now perusing the threads on how to remove it.

Anthony2816, Aug 4, 2015
  15. sadarse Win User
    sign in to Cortana with your e mail you use on your microsoft account.When asked to put your old password use the password that you use to sign in on your pc. not your microsoft password.

sadarse, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Can't log into Cortana

1. Can't log into Cortana - Similar Threads - Can't log Cortana

2. Can't turn Cortana on

in Cortana
    Can't turn Cortana on: How can I turn Cortana on in W10 - I get "Sorry but Cortana is not available in English Australia at this time" And no 3 dots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-cortana-on/623af38d-8c66-4b89-b36a-cdce40d66e4c
  3. Can't Log In To Cortana In Windoews 10, 2004

in Cortana
    Can't Log In To Cortana In Windoews 10, 2004: Hi, I just upgraded my computer to the May 2020 Update Windows 10, 2004 version. I like the new Cortana "chat" version, but I cannot log in using my school account even though it states that "it works best with your school or work account." What do I need to do? R:...
  4. Can't find Cortana

in Cortana
    Can't find Cortana: Hi, I have a Dell win 10 laptop but Cortana is nowhere to be found here. I also have an hp win 10 laptop and there are no such issues there. Please help as soon as possible. Regards, Minahil...
  5. Can't activate Cortana

in Cortana
    Can't activate Cortana: I have a new PC: Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.17134, build 17134 When I got it I disabled the locations & Permissions for several apps, including Cortana. I did go into Locations & Permissions and turn her back on. Rebooted, still no help. Now I can't seem to get her...
  6. Can't talk on cortana

in Cortana
    Can't talk on cortana: can't talk to cortana on pc * Moved from IE10/other * Original title: how can i on cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-talk-on-cortana/1681f6b4-803c-419c-bba7-91c0f17e573a"
  7. Cortana Crashing ; Heres the Error Log

in Cortana
    Cortana Crashing ; Heres the Error Log: Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.17134.472, time stamp: 0x5c13540c Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.441, time stamp: 0x428de48c Exception code: 0x80004005 Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388 Faulting process id: 0x4dc Faulting...
  8. Cannot log in for Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot log in for Cortana: Cortana asks me to log in (i assume to my microsoft account), but no log in screen appears. On one occasion, a blank gray screen appeared. But every other time that grey screen just appears and disappears so rapidly there is no chance to even see what it is. Perhaps...
  9. Trying to log into Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to log into Cortana: I am trying to log in, but it keeps asking me about some old password? I can log into MS account just fine, but not via Cortana, any idea why? I have tried a blank password, MS password, PIN I have tried before. EDIT: I see, it is actually creating MS account instead of...
  10. Logged off from OneDrive and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Logged off from OneDrive and Cortana: I had recently encountered a strange problem: time by time I am getting logged off from OneDrive and Cortana. I just turn on my PC and a OneDrive greeting window appears, welcoming me to log in and set up sync, just like I never did it before. The same problem with Cortana -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant log into cortana