Windows 10: Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account

Discus and support Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I recently found a laptop that I stopped using a while ago. I decided to try and get back into it with the hope of recovering some old files... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by gemmagiacomantonio, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account

Hello,

I recently found a laptop that I stopped using a while ago. I decided to try and get back into it with the hope of recovering some old files that hadn't transferred over to my current laptop, despite making sure they were all backed up before changing over. I have ended up having to reset the laptop but have it keep the old files, which has worked previously on my dad's computer. However when I put in my password for my Microsoft account as requested, it kept being rejected, I tried old passwords and even reset my password.

I am trying to avoid losing those files as much as possible as they are need for educational purposes.

:)

gemmagiacomantonio, Mar 11, 2021
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

register PC with microsoft; use local account to log in

Just simply log in with your Microsoft Account.
    Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Just go back to using a local account:
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

Hopefully the tutorials are step by step enough.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Old Microsoft account issue.

Tom,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Since the issue is still facing, you may try the below steps and check.

Step 1: Change your old account type from Microsoft account to Local account and then delete this old account by logging into some administrator account.

To switch to a Local Account follow these steps:

• Login to your old account.
    • Press “Windows key +X”.
    • Go to Settings
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    Step 2: Login to some other account which has administrator privilege and delete the old account.

• Click on Start and select
      Settings
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now select Family & other users.
    • Here you find your old account, just select and click on
      Remove.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account

Unable to log into laptop after changing password.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it could be and we appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to work this issue. However, in order to get clarity, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Were you using the “Old email (account) address” regardless of not using laptop?
    2. Are both the email addresses linked?
    3. Could you please let us know, where exactly you get prompt for the password for the “Old email address” in the desktop?
    4. What is the exact error message you get when you try to log in to laptop?
    5. Does your desktop has two user profiles?

In the meantime, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

You would need to have internet connection in laptop, so that the password change could get updated and it seems that the laptop is not connected to the internet, we would suggest you to connect Ethernet cable to laptop and then
    try logging in to the laptop with the new password for the old email address.

We await your response.

Manjunath_H, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account

1. Can't log into my old laptop through Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Can't log old

2. Can't log into Microsoft account on old drive at all.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log into Microsoft account on old drive at all.: Hello. Today I just upgraded my computer from a trashy old prebuilt to a new and improved build. I have windows on the drive from the prebuilt and did not buy a new set of windows, so my hope was to simply use my pre-existing OS on the new computer. well, unfortunately for...
  3. Can't log into Microsoft account on old drive at all.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log into Microsoft account on old drive at all.: Hello. Today I just upgraded my computer from a trashy old prebuilt to a new and improved build. I have windows on the drive from the prebuilt and did not buy a new set of windows, so my hope was to simply use my pre-existing OS on the new computer. well, unfortunately for...
  4. Can't log into Microsoft account on old drive at all.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't Log in to Microsoft Account through Minecraft

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't Log in to Microsoft Account through Minecraft: I tried signing into my second Microsoft account for a client for Minecraft called Lunar Client, and every time I put my password in, it brings me to a blank page with no other buttons to click, and it doesn't sign into that account. I don't know why it's doing this because...
  6. Can't Log in to Microsoft Account through Minecraft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Log in to Microsoft Account through Minecraft: I tried signing into my second Microsoft account for a client for Minecraft called Lunar Client, and every time I put my password in, it brings me to a blank page with no other buttons to click, and it doesn't sign into that account. I don't know why it's doing this because...
  7. Can't Log in to Microsoft Account through Minecraft

8. I can't log into my Microsoft account on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't log into my Microsoft account on my laptop.: I start the process thru my gmail account, but then a verification code sent to my yahoo account doesn't arrive. Why can't I get it sent to my phone instead?...
  9. I can't log into my Microsoft account on my laptop.

I can't log into my Microsoft account on my laptop.: I start the process thru my gmail account, but then a verification code sent to my yahoo account doesn't arrive. Why can't I get it sent to my phone instead?...
  10. Can't log in to my laptop/Microsoft school account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't log in to my laptop/Microsoft school account: Hi, So for some odd reason I lost access to my laptop. The screen got locked after not using it for a while and when I tried to log in with my pin, it wouldn't log me in. I have tried using my normal password but still no luck. I am using my school account, and after...