Windows 10: can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

Discus and support can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user" in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; when I create a new user account I can't log into it error: profSvc service failed I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by shmu26, Mar 29, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user"

when I create a new user account I can't log into it
    error: profSvc service failed
    I saw posts about changing something in C;/Users/Default User
    But I don't seem to have such a folder. I defined view settings to show hidden files and also system files, but I don't see such a folder.
    I only see the actual users, as well as public.

Maybe it got messed up from Eset, they have a trick for locating a stolen device, they create a fake user account, and when the thief tries to log in, you get a notification.
    I think I see that fake user account listed as a folder in users, but I don't see the real account that I just created.
    I don't have ESET installed anymore.

:)

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 Version 1709

It can't happen without the consent of the user. That's what the setting is for. Since Windows 8, if there's more than one user account on a computer and one or more doesn't use a password, and a user without a password was the last one logged in, Windows
    will automatically boot into that account. Pretty much the same thing, and nothing new.

JimWynne, Mar 29, 2016
  3. unable to log in to Windows 10 administrator account

When I follow the registry path and get to the user registry, it only lists "admin" as the user and it won't let me edit the registry. There is no registry for "newadmin" which is the new administrator account I set up but now can't log in to in order
    to make any changes to the computer (including my desire to move my normal user account back to an administrative account).

CraigUnruh, Mar 29, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Do you have any restore points to revert back to? You can get into recovery options at the login screen by holding shift while clicking restart.
    Go to troubleshooting, and it will lead you to tools to help fix the problem.

You may need to refresh your PC, or reinstall everything if this problem can't be solved.

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    no restore points.
    what about copying default users from a healthy win 10 machine?

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  6. shmu26 Win User
    yes, that fixed it. I simply copied the contents of Default from a healthy machine, and pasted into a new folder with the same name that I created on the stricken machine.

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    That won't help, as the default users folder is only for if the User Profile Service has failed to load your profile, or any profile on the computer, regardless if it is a new account.

The only way to log into Windows is to log in with the Administrative account, which is activated in group policy editor, however, if you can't log in, you won't be able to do this.

The default account won't be any help as it doesn't have any administrative roles and is limited to the use of a standard account.

This issue is normally resolved in the registry, or by creating a new user account and transferring all of your files from the old account to the new account, and deleting the old account.

Maybe others may have a better solution, but my best solution is to reinstall Windows.

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  8. lmaneke Win User

Hmm I'm surprised that fixed the issue, but glad you got your issue solved.

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  9. shmu26 Win User
    you are right to be surprised. It only worked for one log-in. now the problem is back.
    I am able to log in from two existing accounts, one of them admin. But I can't get new accounts to work.
    I also tried changing the name of a third account, and converting it to a local account, and now that one doesn't work either.

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  10. lmaneke Win User
    There is definitely something wrong.

In your admin account, right click on start
    Click command prompt admin

Type sfc /scannow
    That will check for corrupt system files and attempt a repair.

After that's complete, type, chkdsk C: /F
    Type y to do scan after system restart.

Try that first before we go further

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  11. shmu26 Win User
    what if I do "refresh"? do you think that will fix it?

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  12. lmaneke Win User
    Refresh will save all your documents, music, etc, but your programs will need to be reinstalled.

A refresh should help, as it will reinstall windows, but will keep your files. I recommend backing up your files first before the refresh.

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  13. shmu26 Win User

thanks.
    I actually have a system image on an external disk, but I lent it to my daughter and have to get it back. However, I suspect the problem preceded the system image, which is relatively recent.
    Files are all in the cloud, anyway.

shmu26, Mar 29, 2016
  14. lmaneke Win User
    Youre welcome

That helps that you have an image. *Smile

Good luck

lmaneke, Mar 29, 2016
  15. shmu26 Win User
    I restored from a system image and now all is well.
    It seems the problem happened when I switched to bitdefender.
    I think it was because of the fake user account that ESET made, and bitdefender didn't know what to do with it.
    In any case, new users accounts are now working.
    I went back to ESET.

I am having a problem, however, establishing a FTP connection.
    I suspect it is because of ESET.
    With Bitdefender, I could solve that problem by disabling firewall, but now, with ESET, that solution isn't working.

shmu26, Apr 2, 2016
Thema:

1. can't log into new user accounts -- and there is no "default user" - Similar Threads - can't log user

2. All User Accounts Gone - Can't Log On

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All User Accounts Gone - Can't Log On: I was adding a new user and then stepped away. When I came back, PC was on logon screen with only one account showing named "New User". And it requires a password. I don't have any users named "New User"... and all of my other accounts are missing. Tried any number of...
  3. All User Accounts Gone - Can't Log On

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All User Accounts Gone - Can't Log On: I was adding a new user and then stepped away. When I came back, PC was on logon screen with only one account showing named "New User". And it requires a password. I don't have any users named "New User"... and all of my other accounts are missing. Tried any number of...
  4. New/existing user login and logout right away - can't log into user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New/existing user login and logout right away - can't log into user account: Good time of the day dear community.I have an issue with Windows 10 Pro 2004 on laptop HP EliteBook 840 G6.I have a local adm account. I'm able to log into this adm account.Plus I have 2 MS accounts on this PC previously added and signed in both by myself.Some time ago a week...
  5. New/existing user login and logout right away - can't log into user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New/existing user login and logout right away - can't log into user account: Good time of the day dear community.I have an issue with Windows 10 Pro 2004 on laptop HP EliteBook 840 G6.I have a local adm account. I'm able to log into this adm account.Plus I have 2 MS accounts on this PC previously added and signed in both by myself.Some time ago a week...
  6. New/existing user login and logout right away - can't log into user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Change default log in screen to local user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default log in screen to local user account: [ATTACH] Hello, I need help on changing the default log in screen using Windows 10 Pro. By default, Windows 10 will display on the log in screen the last user account that used the computer before shutdown. In my case, I want the log in screen to display the administrator...
  8. default user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default user accounts: I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is...
  9. can't create new user account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't create new user account: win 10 installed on a cow chip labeled ASUS. I can't create a new account. Only have one admin account, The tab to create a new user is missing. Tried to create one through Settings. Get message the snapin cannot be used. All this started when I tried to give read only rights...
  10. New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in: I tried to see Skype Video on Windows 10. Huge mistake. It asked me for a Windows Account. (I just finished understanding what Google Account means). I happened to have a Windows Account. I entered it and it accepted it. It then asked that I must also change the password...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have a new log on name that i didnt add win10 cant log into it