Windows 10: Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias?

Discus and support Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I tried searching around but didn't find a solution. I have a laptop I stopped using about a year ago. I've only ever logged in with one account. I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by sergioa3, May 29, 2020.

1. sergioa3 Win User

Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias?

I tried searching around but didn't find a solution.

I have a laptop I stopped using about a year ago. I've only ever logged in with one account. I turned it on this week to access some documents that were saved but i can no longer log in.

I've verified with my password manager that the password is correct and up to date. Ive verified that my keyboard is fully functional and the password types correctly. I've tried old passwords and I've gone through the process of reseting the password through "forgot my password" on the device.

In the last year I've made my original email an alias in an effort to update my accounts. When I press forgot my password I am prompted to recover the account that I have no longer allowed sign ins from.

Is there a way to verify/update the specific email account my computer wants to log into on start up?I would have to do this without logging into it. Do I have the option of enabling that old email to be used to log in? I do have a separate device to use in order to update and settings with my Microsoft account.

:)

sergioa3, May 29, 2020
  2. Ketran Win User

Microsoft Account Primary Alias now shows me logged in as old alias

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place for MS account issues

Over a month ago i created a new email alias for my MS account and made it the primary alias, and removed the sign-in option for all email aliases except my new primary one.

This has worked fine until this week, when going to look at my family settings on the MS account page no longer worked, neither did device settings, they both gave account errors and upon further inspection it currently showed me logged in under my old alias
    email name. A lot of sites seem to take your current primary email alias as the login name and since my old one can't login they get stuck.

Now i have checked and i can only log in using my current new alias name, but when i do it shows me logged in under my old alias name.

Going into the security options instead of showing my new email alias as the primary one it shows the old one instead, effectively duplicating the entry, since the old one is also listed as an alias.

This means i cannot change the primary alias to try and fix the problem, neither can i make my old alias a sign-in option as the site thinks it somehow already is enabled.

I've no idea if anyone has had this happen before, at first i thought it might be a temporary display bug, but it's been like it for a few days, i tried speaking to someone but they couldn't fix it either. But there's quite a few things i can't do with my
    account now as it's sort of stuck.

Thanks

Darren

Ketran, May 29, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 29, 2020
  4. Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias?

I would like to change my windows live account which was a vz email acct that now has an outlook.com alias and start over with only a windows live login/ no alias.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I will certainly help you.

Let us try the following steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove an alias

I suggest you to refer to the section Remove an alias from your account from the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/add-alias-account

Step 2: To create a new account.

• Click on Go to Outloo.com on this page.
    • Click on Sign up now.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you

Abdul_Malik, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias?

1. Can't log into old Windows 10 PC. Due to alias? - Similar Threads - Can't log old

2. Can't log into PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log into PC.: Hi. Set quota on the disk usage on the C drive.The quota was well below the space already used. Set to 2GB, Used 80GBWhen trying to log in after turning on the pc, faced with the message "Your credentials could not be verified".Then:"Something went wrong and your PIN isn't...
  3. Can't Log in to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Log in to PC: PC Login & Sending Email problems. Firstly, I tried to send an email from my Outlook Email account. Instead of sending as normal, the email I wished to send went into my Email Outbox. I then logged out of my PC. When I tried to log back in again, I received an error on...
  4. Can't Log in to PC

Can't Log in to PC: PC Login & Sending Email problems. Firstly, I tried to send an email from my Outlook Email account. Instead of sending as normal, the email I wished to send went into my Email Outbox. I then logged out of my PC. When I tried to log back in again, I received an error on...
  5. Can't Log into Windows on Old Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Log into Windows on Old Laptop: Hello. I am trying to log into an old laptop to retrieve some photo files. The Windows password I have recorded does not work. I tried to reset the password, but the system is telling me that I need a recovery disk--which I do not have have. Then I tried to reset using the...
  6. Can't Log into Windows on Old Laptop

Can't Log into Windows on Old Laptop: Hello. I am trying to log into an old laptop to retrieve some photo files. The Windows password I have recorded does not work. I tried to reset the password, but the system is telling me that I need a recovery disk--which I do not have have. Then I tried to reset using the...
  7. Can't Log into Windows on Old Laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Can't log in to PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't log in to PC: When I start up my PC I put in my pin and get error 0x80090016 which says my pin is unavailable. I don't have any other sign in options and when I click forgot my pin a windows account screen pops up then disappears. When I try any repair options I have to enter my password...
  9. Cannot log into outlook due to old account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot log into outlook due to old account: When I purchased this pc, we linked the windows 10 license to his account. A year later, I took a job that required me to use Outlook for the first time and I think... linked to their windows licenses but for sure their outlook. I am no longer with that job. I am trying to...
  10. Microsoft Account Primary Alias now shows me logged in as old alias

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Account Primary Alias now shows me logged in as old alias: Hi, not sure if this is the correct place for MS account issues Over a month ago i created a new email alias for my MS account and made it the primary alias, and removed the sign-in option for all email aliases except my new primary one. This has worked fine until this...