Windows 10: Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.

Discus and support Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options. in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi My wife has a ASUS laptop and yesterday the computer crashed on her. When she turned it back on, on the sign-in screen, she was asked for a... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Belzmort, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Belzmort Win User

Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.

Hi

My wife has a ASUS laptop and yesterday the computer crashed on her. When she turned it back on, on the sign-in screen, she was asked for a password. Unfortunately, she doesn't know any of her Microsoft account passwords (she never uses them). She has always used a PIN to access her computer and now that option is missing. Below where the password is typed, I am aware there should be sign-in options, but there is nothing.

We can't log in at all to remove, change or update anything, just stuck on this one log-in screen. I have checked the internet and there seems to be lots of articles about passwords, pins, and solutions to the various problems, but they all require access to either the registry, setting or windows command line.

Any help is very much appreciated.

:)

Belzmort, Dec 16, 2019
  2. chris-tea Win User

PIN log-in no longer an option

Greetings, I have a new HP computer that has W10 already installed. When I first set it up I was offered an alpha or numeric password log-in screen option. I chose the numeric PIN (four digit). I had this as my log-in and without having changed any user
    settings, accounts, or other similar features, I am no longer prompted to use my PIN. I am only able to log in with my alpha password. Yet I prefer a simple four digit pin over a long written password.

I have read other posts to find a remedy for this problem. I have tried to reset my account preferences including my password.

After reading many posts I see that the normal offered solutions are to select my pin over alpha password from the log-in scene option's menu. I do not have any options from which to do this. I have also read that I am to redo my account and then select
    using a PIN - which I have tried and PIN was never offered as an option.

Now I have a new password yet no pin option.

Anyone with any info on how to re-instate using a pin as a log in other than the two above suggestions, please let me know. Or, if you are also having this issue, could you tell us about it. Maybe it is not just a handful of us that have lost our PIN log
    in option ?

thanks in advance

chris-tea, Dec 16, 2019
  3. pin log in

Hi Keith,

You can change your PIN by following the steps below:

• Open Settings (keyboard shortcut: Windows + I) > Accounts >
      Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, click on Change.
    • Enter your current PIN, enter and confirm the new PIN, then click OK.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.

How do you reset windows 10 log on pin password

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on Sign-in options on the log on screen. Select Microsoft account.
    • Try logging in using Microsoft account and password.
    • Once you log into the system, try to change the PIN under accounts/sign-in page.
    • Select the Start
      Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options. [​IMG]
      button, then select
      Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
    • Try to reset the PIN.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.

1. Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options. - Similar Threads - Can't log onto

2. Forgot PIN with No Other Log-In Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot PIN with No Other Log-In Options: I am attempting to log-in to my PC. However, I forgot the PIN. I entered too many incorrect PINs, and now, to attempt to enter a PIN again, I have to enter the A1B2C3 challenge phrase. Once I do that, the PC presents me with the blank PIN field, and nothing else. I do not...
  3. Can't get past log in screen "create a pin" option.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't get past log in screen "create a pin" option.: Help!I am locked out of my computer. Same email and password I've used for years, no issue there. Log in it takes me to the option to create a pinI close this box, I get sent back to log in.I try to create a pin it says it can't do this right now, close it - back to log in....
  4. Can't get past log in screen "create a pin" option.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get past log in screen "create a pin" option.: Help!I am locked out of my computer. Same email and password I've used for years, no issue there. Log in it takes me to the option to create a pinI close this box, I get sent back to log in.I try to create a pin it says it can't do this right now, close it - back to log in....
  5. Can't get past log in screen "create a pin" option.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. No option to log into local account with PIN

No option to log into local account with PIN: I cannot log into my desktop computer Windows 10 with my PIN. It was working find, but after relocating the computer and turning it back on, it no longer gives me an option to use my PIN to log in and I can't remember the password. When I select reset my password, it takes me...
  7. Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft...: Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft authentificator after reset. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-cant-log-in-onto-my-emails-and/d84c3685-00f5-446b-8029-95d0ef3eac0d
  8. Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft...

Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft...: Factory reset, can't log in onto my emails and stuff,cant log in onto the microsoft authentificator after reset. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-cant-log-in-onto-my-emails-and/d84c3685-00f5-446b-8029-95d0ef3eac0d
  9. Unable to log onto Laptop

in Cortana
    Unable to log onto Laptop: I purchased an EVOO 10.1" Ultra Thin Laptop, Quad Core Processor, 2GB Memory, 32GB Storage, Mini HDMI, Front Camera, Windows 10 Home, for my daughter and she has tried multiple times to create an account on another computer and proceeded to try to log onto the EVOO laptop...
  10. pin sign-in option missing--can't log in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    pin sign-in option missing--can't log in: Hi there, We have an HP tablet and have only ever signed in with a pin--don't even think a password was set, if that's possible. The other day, the pin option to sign in was not there, only sign in options available were password and smart card. Because we have no passwords...