Windows 10: Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

Discus and support Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed this week's cumulative update today and all was fine. I then used the TAKEOWN command on the windows.old folder left over from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve C, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I installed this week's cumulative update today and all was fine. I then used the TAKEOWN command on the windows.old folder left over from the Anniversary Update I did a while ago to remove one residual file (which is already in the main windows folder). I couldn't delete it so went into Safe Mode and still couldn't delete the file from there.

I then rebooted but I just got the spinning circle when trying to log in to any account. I went into Safe Mode again to run sfc /scannow which was OK. For some reason, I had no restore points which was going to be my next step. Did the cumulative update remove them? I then ran chkdsk c: /spotfix, restarted and hey presto all seems fine.

Could someone please look at the chkdsk report (problems in Stage 3) below and tell me what the problem may have been and what steps I should now take to ensure the Windows installation is OK.

CHKDSK Report:

Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is System.
    A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 516096 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    9991 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    632402 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 6630 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 6630 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 6630 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    58154 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34495520 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

174362623 KB total disk space. 60514440 KB in 314803 files. 197492 KB in 58157 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors.
    626371 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    113024320 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 43590655 total allocation units on disk. 28256080 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 e0 07 00 0b b0 05 00 5b b5 0a 00 00 00 00 00 ........[.......4e 04 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 N...............

Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

:)

Steve C, Jan 11, 2017
  2. WmRoper Win User

Is Further Troubleshooting of a Failed Windows 10 Upgrade Now FUTILE? [Win 10 Install Failure -- "Not Needed"]

Thank you, Gerry.

It is nice to know that Microsoft might be making some exceptions for some who experienced problems with the Upgrade.

That still leaves me with an unresolved problem.

What precisely does it mean to be told "The updates were
    successfully installed," and also that the Update also FAILED, giving as an explanation that the update (Upgrade to Windows 10) was
    "Not Needed"?

Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps? [​IMG]

Do you have any suggestions as to the troubleshooting protocol to use when Windows 7 tells me BOTH that the Updates were Successfully installed AND that the Update has FAILED, because the Update is "Not Needed"?

My computer is still very clearly running Windows 7 64-bit version.

WmRoper, Jan 11, 2017
  3. WmRoper Win User
    Is Further Troubleshooting of a Failed Windows 10 Upgrade Now FUTILE? [Win 10 Install Failure -- "Not Needed"]

I suppose I should count my blessings.

Despite the upgrade failure, my system STILL WORKS just fine using Windows 7 SP1, UNLIKE so many of the others who are posting their various challenges with the Win 10 upgrade.

I have NOT seen any others who have posted that their Windows 10 upgrade FAILED with a "Not Needed" indication as to the reason for this failure. Accordingly, I would fully expect Microsoft and the Community to PRIORITIZE the remediation efforts and to
    first help resolve (a) the problems experienced by the MOST users and (b) those who are now denied any effective use of their computers.

I have now already invested about forty-five hours this past week troubleshooting problems with Microsoft's operating systems. I have spent a couple of hours looking for others who are describing the problem I am experiencing, much less the identification
    of a solution.

I would EXPECT that Microsoft OUGHT to take into account that the problem I am experiencing seems to be an issue for which Microsoft now LACKS a recommended solution.

WmRoper, Jan 11, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Have I defeated the forum? I welcome guidance on why the fault happened and the chkdsk report.

Steve C, Jan 12, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    You may have bad sectors on your HDD. Any files on these sectors would be corrupted. Run Check Disk with the /R switch to check for Bad Sectors.
    Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and reboot the computer. Check Disk will run thru 5 stages and it will take a long while.

spunk, Jan 13, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Thanks - the system drive is a SSD not HDD.Tthe only error was the security descriptors and I wondered why?

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps? - Similar Threads - Can't Login Further

2. How to furtherly troubleshoot/fix the microphone issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to furtherly troubleshoot/fix the microphone issue.: Hi, is there anyone here experiencing microphone issue in Dell XPS 17 9710? The mic is built-in from the computer. It appears from the device manager but not detected in applications. Mic permission is allowed to all application and windows, driver was updated and tried to...
  3. How to furtherly troubleshoot/fix the microphone issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to furtherly troubleshoot/fix the microphone issue.: Hi, is there anyone here experiencing microphone issue in Dell XPS 17 9710? The mic is built-in from the computer. It appears from the device manager but not detected in applications. Mic permission is allowed to all application and windows, driver was updated and tried to...
  4. What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?: I have been attempting to download/install a cumulative update for a Windows server 2012 R2 Datacenter. The error is 0x800F0831. Ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH...
  5. What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?

What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?: I have been attempting to download/install a cumulative update for a Windows server 2012 R2 Datacenter. The error is 0x800F0831. Ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH...
  6. My computer is BSODing and I need help troubleshooting further.

My computer is BSODing and I need help troubleshooting further.: Hello, I am experiencing a BSOD regularly while trying to play my gaming computer. I have troubleshooted some, but I could use some more experienced advice. Here is the latest Dump file:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anwp7xBFYYOigf5gO0GaIn1mga6UHQ?e=rliNwkNo concrete history on this...
  7. War Story: The reason for troubleshooting step-by-step

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    War Story: The reason for troubleshooting step-by-step: OK then, here comes a recent war story/lesson learned. Mid-week last week my right-hand Dell 2717D monitor started flickering on me. I've got it up on my desk, connected to my 1070 GTX graphics card with a miniDP to DP cable from monitor to GPU. I have occasionally kicked...
  8. Can't reinstall Windows Store after attempting troubleshooting steps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't reinstall Windows Store after attempting troubleshooting steps: I was trying to fix an issue where my Windows Store wouldn't download or update any apps which was preventing me from opening certain programs. I followed the steps listed by Vijay_Verma's answer in this thread...
  9. Any further steps indicated for these detected malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Any further steps indicated for these detected malware?: Laptop hangs unexpectedly Ref is made to above thread wherein zbook asks for Any further steps indicated for these detected malware? Await Yours, 154476
  10. Slow Login Troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow Login Troubleshooting: My Dell laptop is taking about 10 seconds to login whereas it use to be much faster. I found a tip about setting the Group Policy Option "Display highly detailed status messages" as shown below. This shows most of the login time is spent on "Preparing Windows". Any tips on...