Windows 10: Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode

Discus and support Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello. Today I tried getting rid of an .ogg file. I looked up how to do so, and followed a guide saying you had to enable safe boot, restart your pc,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ThomasFunck, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode

Hello.

Today I tried getting rid of an .ogg file. I looked up how to do so, and followed a guide saying you had to enable safe boot, restart your pc, delete the file, and then disable safe boot.

Heres the problem: I turned on safe boot and restarted my computer, but I was unable to log in to my user with the correct password. I tried using the pin, but that did not work either. I then went online on my phone to check what other people had done, and they said that they had to reset their entire pc due to this error.

So I held down shift while clicking the restart button, went to troubleshoot and then clicked the reset button which should delete all files, users, and connections to my microsoft account. It only gets to around 10-12% completion before, without any error message, returning to the shift, restart screen. Ckicking the reset button again promps me to get en error message saying "Something went wrong"

I have been unable to find any proper explanation as to why this happens, but I really hope that this error gets patched in future updates, or that someone knows how to fix this.

Personally, Im guessing that because my pc is connected to my microsoft account, and the fact that the pc wont accept any passwords, even correct ones, when it tries to reset it needs a password from my microsoft account, and since its unable to obtain that, then its unable to proceed and thus decides to take me back. Im in no way a coding expert, but I think thats the issue.

Thank you, and have a great day

-Tom

:)

ThomasFunck, Mar 31, 2020

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode

Safe mode reset

Hi Oliver,

It's possible that your device is set to boot in Safe Mode. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + R to open Run Dialog box.
    • Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    • Under General tab, choose Normal startup if it's not selected already.
    • Now, go to Boot tab, uncheck the Safe Boot
      option if it is checked.
    • Click OK to save the changes and restart the device to boot in Normal mode.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance, we'll be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode

1. Cant login or reset after enabling safe mode - Similar Threads - Cant login reset

2. User disappeared after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User disappeared after enabling safe mode: I was accessing the hidden administrator cdm through enabling safe mode via restart. However my personal user profile has stopped appearing at the login page when entered into safe mode. This has still been the case after exiting to normal mode.I have attempted to perform a...
  3. User disappeared after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User disappeared after enabling safe mode: I was accessing the hidden administrator cdm through enabling safe mode via restart. However my personal user profile has stopped appearing at the login page when entered into safe mode. This has still been the case after exiting to normal mode.I have attempted to perform a...
  4. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  5. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  6. Not able to sign in after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to sign in after enabling safe mode: [IMG]This is really frustrating firstly I am having this pink bar below for solving that I went through the suggestion of microsoft on enabling the safe mode and I did it but after that I cannot even sign into my device even though I am entering the correct password what is...
  7. Login screen freezes, cant get into safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Login screen freezes, cant get into safe mode with networking: Hello, My system freezes at the login window. The spinning circle doesnt make one full revolution before it freezes. I can enter safe mode but I cannot enter safe mode with networking. My windows is loaded on a SSD and I also have a HDD. I have tried unplugging my HDD,...
  8. Cant login after factory reset

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cant login after factory reset: I told my friend to do a factory reset on his notebook after he did it he cant login to his windows account. He cannot join to the internet connection with cable and without cable. He cannot do anything in "Shift and pressing power button and restart settings" when he try...
  9. Login issues after safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login issues after safe mode: So firstly my computer has been having an error with the personalized settings not responding AFTER I log in for a while now. But just recently I had a big complied update as I hadn't updated windows in a while. Few days later and my computer is running ridiculously slow....
  10. Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot: Hello, I've installed Win10 without UEFI/secure boot (a classic MBR drive with NTFS), a few days ago I used mbr2gpt to convert the system drive to GPT and then enabled UEFI and Secure Boot by enrolling the EFI keys from bootx64.efi in my BIOS. From that point I've lost the...