Windows 10: can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

Discus and support can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; can't login to network shared computer for file share even though i know the credentials are correct. i suspect that for what ever reason, because they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by THATKHED, Oct 26, 2021.

1. THATKHED Win User

can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

can't login to network shared computer for file share even though i know the credentials are correct. i suspect that for what ever reason, because they are both on the same @live email that this is hindering me and i cannot get in.i do:network>laptop name> enter network credentials> says password is incorrectit says password is incorrect even tho i know its correct for a fact because i can log into that account with the password via browser.....i

:)

THATKHED, Oct 26, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Unable to share network computers

Blake,

I disagree with Clint.

Here is my full list of network setting up steps. It is what I do to set up my own networks.

1 Set the same WorkGroup name on each computer - Change Workgroup - TenForumsTutorials

2 Create a local Admin account on each computer with both the same username and the same password.
    - This will be used to authorise mutual network access upon the first connection to it but does not restrict which user accounts can subsequently be used when accessing the network.Add Local Account - TenForumsTutorials
    Change Account Type - TenForumsTutorials- This can actually be an MSAccount but a local one is normally less prone to errors.
    - Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a spare, password-protected local Admin account as a hedge against possible user profile corruption in the future.

3 Set up all Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Advanced sharing settings - includingTurn On Network Discovery - TenForumsTutorials
    Turn On File and Printer Sharing - TenForumsTutorials
    Turn On Password Protected Sharing - TenForumsTutorials - this step is what deals with the issue that Clint raised.
    4 Share the desired folders - Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials In brief,- In File explorer, right-click on the folder, Properties, Sharing tab, Advanced sharing
    - Set the checkbox for Share this folder
    - Give it a Share name
    - Click on Permissions,
    - Everyone - Set Full control, Change or Read as desired
    5 If a network includes earlier Windows versions, non-Windows computers or a network drive connected to the router then I understand SMB1 needs to be set up but this is not a topic I know about - Enable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol - TenForumsTutorials

6 Connect each computer to the router's network and set it up as a Private network - Set Network Location to Private - TenForumsTutorials- This connection step assumes use of Windows defender. If you use different security software then you should check if it requires any additional steps, such as manually approving use of specific network adapters, but I imagine they are all pretty decently automated these days and would at least tell you if they were rejecting a network / network adapter.
    7 Access the shared drives both ways between each pair of computers & provide network credentials- The first time you do this you will need to enter the common local Admin account username and common password {the one set up on each computer at step 2 above}
    - Set the Remember my credentials checkbox so that you are never required to do this again
    can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials... [​IMG]

- You will be able to access the shared drives using all other user accounts not just the Admin account used to set it all up.

Denis

3. TAU
    Tau Win User
    Network share to require login

Alright what i am trying to do is have a password, or login required to access some shared folders on a computer. All computers are using XP Pro SP2, now i have had situations in the past were i try to access a shared folder over the network on a laptop and it asks for a username and password before it will let me access it. This is what i am trying to setup. Even if i was able to assign the folder permissions for a specific user account.

Any help?

4. Cindybert Win User

can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network
    folders.

I can ping the Win 10 machine from the Win 7 machine, but not vice versa.

I can click the icon for the laptop machine and get to it from the Win 7 machine.

But when I try to access the Win 7 machine from the Win 10 laptop, it says it can't access. When I try to go to specific drives using the drive share names (eg \\home-pc\jaydrive), I get a login screen which says that my login credentials are incorrect (and
    these are the login credentials that I use to login to the @#$ Win 7 machine!). I have turned on sharing options, shared folders, etc on the Win 7 box.

I've had the Win 7 machine for several years, and I used to be able to see its shared files from my old Win 7 laptop, so I know that those settings are correct.

Suggestions? I'm ready to find a third party file transfer program.

***Modified title from: More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines***

***Moved from: Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage ***

Cindybert, Oct 26, 2021
Thema:

1. can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials... - Similar Threads - can't login network

2. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  3. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  4. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  6. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  7. can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...: can't login to network shared computer for file share even though i know the credentials are correct. i suspect that for what ever reason, because they are both on the same @live email that this is hindering me and i cannot get in.i do:network>laptop name> enter network...
  8. can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...: can't login to network shared computer for file share even though i know the credentials are correct. i suspect that for what ever reason, because they are both on the same @live email that this is hindering me and i cannot get in.i do:network>laptop name> enter network...
  9. Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.: Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders. I can...
  10. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...