Windows 10: Can't login to Windows after an update

Discus and support Can't login to Windows after an update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My husband was using his computer when an automatic update started. Following the update he is unable to sign in to Microsoft, Windows, his computer... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NancyB48, Dec 15, 2020.

1. NancyB48 Win User

Can't login to Windows after an update

My husband was using his computer when an automatic update started. Following the update he is unable to sign in to Microsoft, Windows, his computer nothing. He hasn't been able to use his computer since the automatic update. He has an HP Pavillion. We have tried calling the numbers given only to be told after a long message that the help service has been moved online, and given an address to key in for online help. Tried it, no help at all. It is very frustrating to have a Microsoft product and no way to get a live person on the phone to help with problems. I got more help calling Spectrum then trying to get help from Microsoft. I think if this is the way your company operates it is very poor business practice.

If we cannot get a live person, then we want someone to walk us through a fix that will work, we can't even give anyone permission to get into his computer to fix it that way. None of the help areas online offer any help as to what to do in this situation.

Does Microsoft not offer personal phone contact, as i have tried several different phone numbers and it is all the same, either no answer or after a long message referred to an online site. I want a live person, a real working phone number. If you care about your customers satisfaction you will offer this phone number to us.

If this is the way Microsoft has chosen to do business then how do you expect people to purchase your new products? I know I won't, very dissastified customer, we have multiple computers and mobile products, this is the best you have? Bill Gates needs to stop worrying about his income and offer real help with hanging log ins.

I will be posting this problem and your lack of help on all forms of Media, and may even go to the News Media if I don't get a response soon. He uses his computer constantly for Ancestry, etc. Its now useless.

* Moved from MSN

* Original title: Login impossible

:)

NancyB48, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 15, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Can't login to Windows after an update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 15, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't login to Windows after an update - Similar Threads - Can't login update

2. Can't login to Windows 10 after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't login to Windows 10 after updates: I updated the Windows 10 software on my laptop, and after the update completed, I restarted the laptop. Now, when the laptop starts, it goes to the lock screen, then I see my name and the click “login” , but when Iclick "login," the laptop returns to the lock screen.* Changed...
  3. Can't login after windows update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't login after windows update: After i updated, my windows with The last updates then i couldn't login at all. First i think it was the system so i use windows repair tool. But it couldn't fix The problem, so know i ask for helpVideo proof...
  4. Can't login after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login after windows update: After i updated, my windows with The last updates then i couldn't login at all. First i think it was the system so i use windows repair tool. But it couldn't fix The problem, so know i ask for helpVideo proof...
  5. Can't login after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't Login After Windows 11 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Login After Windows 11 Update: I have a laptop Dell Latitude 7490 that updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10. When the laptop boots, it is on the login screen that displays the date and time. I hit enter to bring up the login fields and it flashes my name and the spinning circle very briefly, maybe a...
  7. Can't Login After Windows 11 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Login After Windows 11 Update: I have a laptop Dell Latitude 7490 that updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10. When the laptop boots, it is on the login screen that displays the date and time. I hit enter to bring up the login fields and it flashes my name and the spinning circle very briefly, maybe a...
  8. Can't login to windows after update.

Can't login to windows after update.: I've been having this problem since 2019 and still don't know what's causing it. I'm currently trying to install the latest version on my Windows 10 21H1 I believe, and I seem to have issues logging into my PC after the update. What exactly happens? After the update installs,...
  9. Can't login after updates

Can't login after updates: After microsoft updates, my pc doesn't accept my PIN or MS pw. All are typed in correctly. Need help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-login-after-updates/b5cdc2f4-73ce-4f4d-9c98-01145a79b83e
  10. Can't login after update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't login after update.: So every time I update Windows 10 I always seem to have a problem logging back in. The update loads, it restarts, I get to the login screen and type in my password, only to have the loading icon freeze next to the Welcome. Usually, I'd go through the hassle of uninstalling...