Windows 10: can't logon to local account via smart card

Discus and support can't logon to local account via smart card in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; i'ev try to set a smart card to log in but it keep's saying that an "unexpected event occurred", i installed certificates, but when i try with word for... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by koby10, Jun 20, 2019.

1. koby10 Win User

can't logon to local account via smart card

i'ev try to set a smart card to log in but it keep's saying that an "unexpected event occurred", i installed certificates, but when i try with word for Example It recognizes him. can anyone help.

:)

koby10, Jun 20, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Disable smart card Surface LTE

Hi Jishua9,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

Please try the below suggested steps and let us know if it helps.

1. Right click on
      Start menu and select Run.
    2. Typegpedit.msc
      and press Enter.
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\SecurityOptions.
    4. LocateInteractive logon: Require smart card
      policy setting.
    5. Double click on the Policy and select
      Disabled option.
    6. Click onApply
      and OK to save changes.
    7. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not,
      restart the system.

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 20, 2019
  4. Jen812 Win User

How do I remove "Smart Card" and "McAfee Password" icon from the logon

Hey @bro67,

I'm am the IT admin here - we don;t use Smart cards to login, and trying to disable it.

I've managed to remove the icon from left hand side - now just want to disable smart card at logon can't logon to local account via smart card :).

Thanks

Jen812, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1. can't logon to local account via smart card - Similar Threads - can't logon local

2. Certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10/11 with FIPS certified smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10/11 with FIPS certified smart card: Latest FIPS 140-2 Level 3 and FIPS 140-3 have limited HASH algorithm to SHA256/384/512 and SHA-1 can not be used for security reasons. If I use a FIPS certified smart card to do certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10 and Windows 11 Windows 10/11 has been on-prem...
  3. Certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10/11 with FIPS certified smart card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10/11 with FIPS certified smart card: Latest FIPS 140-2 Level 3 and FIPS 140-3 have limited HASH algorithm to SHA256/384/512 and SHA-1 can not be used for security reasons. If I use a FIPS certified smart card to do certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10 and Windows 11 Windows 10/11 has been on-prem...
  4. Certificate based smart card logon to Windows 10/11 with FIPS certified smart card

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon: Hello,I am having an issue with authenticating users in an air gapped network after a patch. Any users prior created in AD prior to May 2022, can still authenticate with the server. However, if I create a new test account and attach my X.509 to altSecurityID attribute, I get...
  6. Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon: Hello,I am having an issue with authenticating users in an air gapped network after a patch. Any users prior created in AD prior to May 2022, can still authenticate with the server. However, if I create a new test account and attach my X.509 to altSecurityID attribute, I get...
  7. Smart Card login accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Smart Card login accounts?: Are Smart Card logins to authenticate to login into Windows considered a Local User account or is it still a Domain User account? Supposed a user gets provided a CAC or a PIV card to insert to their Smart Card reader to authenticate or logon to their Windows account, is it a...
  8. Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons: Hello,Scenario:Windows 10 laptops are PIV Enforced Smart cards are required to log on to the OSUser has been remote for over a year COVIDVPN is split tunnelMany users are overseas with low bandwidth connectionMost work can be done without direct access to on-prem resources,...
  9. Problems with authentication on domain using smart card logon

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with authentication on domain using smart card logon: Dear MS Support, we're using Smart Card logon as second method of our users to sign into domain based PCs. After latest Servicing Stack update KB4586863 and Cumulative update KB4586786, logon with smart card stopped working with this message: "This smart card could not be...
  10. No Logon in with local account link

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No Logon in with local account link: I am setting up a new Windows 10 Profession computer. Under Settings -> Accounts -> Your info there is no link to login in with local login. I have several local accounts created with administrator rights. I need to login into a local account. Can you please help me?...