Windows 10: Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w

Discus and support Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, I have one computer on my network that someone must have been playing with and now I can't make any changes at all! When I tried to check... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnKnauer, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w

So, I have one computer on my network that someone must have been playing with and now I can't make any changes at all!

When I tried to check settings for remote software I was having trouble with, I was prompted for my password not unexpected. Instead of being granted permission to continue, I got an error message stating, "We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available." there is only one domain and the affected computer is assigned to it as is the user.

Yet, when I check in the system settings it is on the one and only domain in the building! I can't even open an elevated command prompt because it wants me to authenticate using my domain p/w. I have even tried the domain admin account and I get the same message.

I tried to go into the local admin account via control panel and can't get in that way either any time I try any course of action, I am prompted for my admin password that results in the previously mentioned error message.

I tried activating the "hidden" admin account and, you guessed it, I am asked to authenticate.

My guess is someone got into the local user settings and changed or deleted the local admin account or password or something else.

I would REALLY like to avoid resetting and re-installing the OS but will as a last resort.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this? And, yes, I know I need to lock down the local settings in group policies chastising myself.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point and may have left out some details, but I hope not.

Thanks in advance....

:)

JohnKnauer, Jan 4, 2021
  2. 24C
    24c Win User

Sign in without p/w issue

Did a clean install of Windows 10 and updated it to the version shown.
    Trying to eliminate the need for p/w at sign in, I ran netplwiz as I have always done.

Top USER ACCOUNTS is from the Install I've been upgrading for a long time
    Bottom USER ACCOUNTS is from today's clean install on another machine

There is no:
    "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" to uncheck
    in the clean install
    I have never seen this before and can't by pass the sign in p/w step

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w [​IMG]

3. Need to override past admin. p/w

I have a Dell laptop that had windows 7 when purchased. I up graded to windows 10 with no problem, but my grandson made himself admin. and can't give me the right p/w to make changes, when needed. Any help would be appreciated. How do I get back to where
    I can do what I need to do.

JIMKENNEDY3, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w

PC has different p/w than MS account, can't change it

Tried to change p/w on PC w/Win 10 Pro installed recently. Changed it on MS account, but the change wasn't made on PC. Apparently there was server glitch during the change. Now I can only log in to the PC with the old p/w. Trying to log in with
    the MS account p/w results in error msg: 'Device is off line. Sign in with p/w last used'. Logging on with old p/w gives access to PC, but not to things like OneDrive. Attempting to change p/w in Settings results in error message: ;Something went wrong,.'
    Trying to add a MS account in Settings results in error msg: 'Sorry, problem with server. Working on it. Try again in a few minutes..' Trying again doesn't work, even after a couple of weeks. How do I get the PC to sign in with the MS pwd???

Mary Ann Gie, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w

1. Can't make changes without supplying admin p/w - Similar Threads - Can't changes without

2. Can't Change Account to Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Change Account to Admin: I just bought my computer 2 weeks ago and it came with Windows 11 already installed. My wife was the first one to log in and I guess she became the Administrator account. I got annoyed of having to use her Gmail password to sign in so I found a way to log in without using a...
  3. Make myself admin... without admin.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make myself admin... without admin.: Last year I tried resetting my computer and getting rid of all the excess stuff on it years back, when I had no tech knowledge I kind of screwed some things up. In the process, I went to hell and back deleting all sorts of files. To restore the computer, I need 8 gigs of...
  4. Make myself admin... without admin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Make myself admin... without admin.: Last year I tried resetting my computer and getting rid of all the excess stuff on it years back, when I had no tech knowledge I kind of screwed some things up. In the process, I went to hell and back deleting all sorts of files. To restore the computer, I need 8 gigs of...
  5. Make myself admin... without admin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Sign in without p/w issue

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sign in without p/w issue: Did a clean install of Windows 10 and updated it to the version shown. Trying to eliminate the need for p/w at sign in, I ran netplwiz as I have always done. Top USER ACCOUNTS is from the Install I've been upgrading for a long time Bottom USER ACCOUNTS is from today's clean...
  7. Sign in without p/w issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Sign in without p/w issue: Did a clean install of Windows 10 and updated it to the version shown. Trying to eliminate the need for p/w at sign in, I ran netplwiz as I have always done. Top USER ACCOUNTS is from the Install I've been upgrading for a long time Bottom USER ACCOUNTS is from today's clean...
  8. Admin & problems with apps making changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin & problems with apps making changes: how do i change my account to administrator? every time i try to download something on my computer the '' do you allow this app to make changes to you computer'' thing pops up but theres only a ''no'' alternative and a ''write in admin username and password'' without a place...
  9. Resetting login p/w:

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Resetting login p/w:: Which it the best way to reset a windows 10 login P/W? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resetting-login-pw/f1c0dae4-dc22-4310-b372-7fb6a7e0b953
  10. Need to override past admin. p/w

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to override past admin. p/w: I have a Dell laptop that had windows 7 when purchased. I up graded to windows 10 with no problem, but my grandson made himself admin. and can't give me the right p/w to make changes, when needed. Any help would be appreciated. How do I get back to where I can do what I...