Windows 10: Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

Discus and support Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Had same issue and this worked for me. Google Groups https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option6 This worked for me too. Thanks. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by vmars316, Dec 31, 2015.

1. atromic Win User

Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

atromic, Jan 19, 2017
  2. pranjal Win User
    pranjal, Jan 21, 2017
  3. Yahnny Win User
    I can't explain why, but I sort of know what led to this problem for me.

I'm on a new laptop, so fresh installs and Chrome was set as the default, no problems there. I ended up uninstalling then reinstalling (thought an extension was misbehaving but I think it might have been user error), I think I set it as default again at that time but I'm only 70% sure on that. Now, this keyboard has only a left ctrl and I'm still getting used to it. I tried to go to a previous tab (ctrl+shift+tab) and button mashed. I at least hit ctrl+shift+W, maybe other nearby combinations, because suddenly Chrome closes and it seemed a little shaky/slow. When I reopened, it was asking to be set as default. In Settings, it was the grey "+" icon in the 'default browser' area. Clicking Chrome did nothing. Clicking Edge got the icon, still couldn't switch to Chrome, but when I restarted my computer it was back to grey "+" and none of the browsers would go take over the default, not even edge.

When I went the Control Panel > Set Default Programs route, instead of "Set this program to Default" I first looked at the manual "Choose Defaults". I'm not sure what defaults the Settings>System>Default App route sets, I didn't want to just blanket assign all possible file types/protocols to Chrome if the 'regular' way left some unassigned. What I saw was that some of the 'Current Defaults' were Edge, some were IE, some were unassigned, and none of them were Chrome. I still don't know which ones the Set Default App route would have set, and if anyone knows I'm curious. But I think the cause of the error was that somehow I had the defaults all mangled up. Perhaps the Set Default App process needs all the relevant file types/protocols to be just one (or unassigned) browser.

Yahnny, Apr 14, 2017
  4. tazmo8448 Win User

when i go to control panel there is nothing that says 'default' programs, all that is listed is:
    Control Panel Home
    Uninstall a program
    Turn Windows features on an off

would someone direct me to where the 'default' settings are in Programs an Features

tazmo8448, Apr 29, 2017
  5. tazmo8448 Win User
    what threw me off was go to Control> Programs>Default Programs

I'm thinking goto Control Panel >Default Programs

anyway got it straight...

tazmo8448, Apr 29, 2017
  6. This did NOT work for me, I can click all day on those areas, and the computer will NOT accept Chrome as the default, it doesn't show Edge as default either. I saw one that said they picked Edge, then changed it again to Chrome, but I cannot do either. I am a secondary user on this computer. The main user DOES have Chrome as the default, so why wouldn't it already be default for me? I have google as my homepage, and I use Chrome to access the internet, so I guess I should just leave it as is? -

Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge .

When in Chrome and I click make chrome default , nothing happens .
    And Edge won't let go .
    How to fix .

Thanks...Vern[/QUOTE]

justagirlinva, May 26, 2017
  7. torre Win User
    Click the Windows icon (lower left corner) click on Settings (gear icon), click Apps/Click Default Apps. Scroll down, click the browser.

There should be a list of all browers installed. Click the one you desire. If it does not work, post again.

torre, May 26, 2017
  8. Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

Thanks Torre, I have tried that probably 30 or more times in the last 24 hours after clearing stuff and rebooting etc. changing ME to the admin etc. does not change anything. When I open the + that says choose a default and select Chrome, it just stays the same and says choose a default. -

justagirlinva, May 26, 2017
  9. torre Win User
    And when you go to the Control Panel and type default programs in search and follow those steps, still no result ?

Is this a personal computer or a company computer ?

Run SFC Command in Windows 10

Run sfc/scannow to see if any issues.

torre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge - Similar Threads - Can't Chrome default

2. Why can't I make chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't I make chrome my default browser?: When I go Setting > Default Apps > web browser then click on it only microsoft edge and opera pop up. Do I need to reinstall chrome? Am I being an idiot? please help. submitted by /u/puffydefish [link] [comments]...
  3. Can't set Google Chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set Google Chrome as default browser: Like the title says, I can't set Chrome as my browser. When I go to default apps, Chrome doesn't appear as an option under the browser category. It's also not in the Microsoft app store. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still nothing. I've seen threads on this issue with...
  4. I can't make google chrome my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't make google chrome my default browser: [ATTACH] So I set google chrome to be my default browser but whenever I click the "windows" button and search for something, it goes directly to microsoft edge. I am not sure how to fix that....
  5. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  6. How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10

How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10: I am not getting the way to set Chrome as default browser permanently. Just give the steps to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-chrome-default-browser-in-windows-10/90038208-eac7-4935-92a3-9bb0e17f6cc8
  7. Can't change default browser to Google Chrome

Can't change default browser to Google Chrome: Hi I use windows 10 version 1803 When I try changing the default browser in the settings, there's only 2 I can choose, Edge and Internet Explorer. I would like to use Google Chrome but it doesn't show up. The program is installed in my computer, I'm even using it right now...
  8. how does one make Chrome the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    how does one make Chrome the default browser: I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will still open up Microsoft Edge. The question for today is ... how does one stop an attachment file stubbornly opening up Edge...
  9. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202
  10. Cannot make Chrome as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Chrome as default browser: I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to terms etc etc and it does not work. The next time I log in with Chrome it asks me to make it a default again. When I go through...