Windows 10: Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user

Discus and support Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Linux File-server that I have had the M: drive mapped to for almost 2 years. I recently rebuilt my windows 10 pro build 3 weeks ago, and one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nellson, Dec 3, 2018.

1. nellson Win User

Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user

I have a Linux File-server that I have had the M: drive mapped to for almost 2 years. I recently rebuilt my windows 10 pro build 3 weeks ago, and one of my first steps was remapping the drive, and that worked as it has before.

But just this Saturday, a program was trying to save a file there and it said the drive was invalid. This is typical when I reboot and I have yet to try and open he drive and supply my credentials (they were not saved even though I always check save credentials)

Once I supply the password, and the file explorer pops open in the root of the share, the program that needed the drive suddenly is happy and things go forward.

This time that did not happen. So I disconnected the drive, and tried to remap it. When I was prompted for my credentials and supplied them, I was told that it was unable to map this drive using the credentials provided because this resource was already in use with those credentials. Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user o_O

I don't have any other mapped drives to that server, or to another server in my home domain that would use my home domain credentials. So I thought I fresh reboot would help clear up the issue.. It did not.

How might I tell how windows thinks I am already using this resource so I can clear it and just start a new?

The SAMBA share is \\mondo\data (Ubuntu 18 LTS Server) using the SAMBA NTLM domain\user nickellson.com\grimm and this share would be the only thing I would use on this server, and would have to be using that username.

Nick

:)

nellson, Dec 3, 2018
  2. CraigS Win User

Work Mapped drives not working at home.

Hello All.

I have a user at work that has a laptop as her main work use (docking station at work, then takes it home to work at home).
    we have a list of mapped network drives that we use here, including a personal drive.

however when this user gets home or off the network, the personal drive seems to become inactive/go missing.

there are no USB drives that interfere with the network drives, and i am lost looking for solutions.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

CraigS, Dec 3, 2018
  3. cognus Win User
    Map Network Drive in Windows 10

thank you for doing this tutorial.
    An issue that plagued us in earlier Windows still remains in 10 and I do not yet understand some of the solutions given in the superuser forum thread pasted below.
    The issue is simple:
    - "drives" are mapped correctly, and work well WHEN they are manually accessed.
    - Windows 10 automatically disconnects the resource when not used.
    - Waking or restarting/booting the mapped drive remains disconnected: no request has been made, therefore the shared resource is offline [Red X]

the solution would be something to cause the mapping to be ready/available/connected at all times except for sleep [I guess... that would be permissible to most] or 'off'. In the thread below a couple of people propose 'solutions' [despite a couple of boneheaded ideas] but these either over-reach or are limited only to solving the 'connect at startup' need.

Not solving this defeats automated routine backups [pushed from the client station in question, in this example], which can be deadly. users should not be expected to have great memories or great technical skills Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user :)

what is the RIGHT step to take to make the Mapped resource "always available", with exceptions noted above?

On login, how do I get Windows to mount/connect a mapped network drive automatically? - Super User

cognus, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

The mapped name of a folder is stuck

I have never had to do anything else to remove an old network drive mapping. [The mapped drives I have are all listed even though they are not currently connected].

If I understand the situation correctly -
    • You have mapped \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ and that is confirmed by HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network
    • But File explorer insists that you have mapped to a [removable?] drive you have called 0 SYN that is connected to the network computer called T instead
    1 Does HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network contain an entry for 0 SYN or \\T at all?
    2 Does HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Portable Devices\Devices contain 0 SYN as a 'FriendlyName' entry?
    3 Can 0 SYN be found in your Registry elsewhere [such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares]?

Denis

Try3, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user - Similar Threads - Can't map drive

2. Adding New User but says is linked already

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding New User but says is linked already: Hello!Recently I wanted to add my microsoft account as a whole separate user on this PC as it is now used by everyone in the house. However, even after signing out of every app I can think of and making my current user just a local account, I keep getting an error. “e-mail...
  3. Can't map a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't map a network drive: I'm having issues mapping a network drive on a computer only with a certain user. If I log on as another user it works fine. Both profiles have admin privileges. I've never seen this happen before...
  4. Can't map shared drive - says it's already mapped

Can't map shared drive - says it's already mapped: Hi! I'd be grateful for help with a problem on Windows 10 and a Synology NAS DS220j. I'm not the most technical of users so idiot steps would be appreciated! I have a Synology DS220j NAS. When set up it has a number of shares created by default - music, photo, video, etc. I...
  5. Says redeem code already used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Says redeem code already used: I entered the code sent to me for downloading Flight Simulator2020, but the screen says the code has already been redeemed. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/says-redeem-code-already-used/74017231-a100-4a78-b7c1-ade7aa3c4423
  6. Can't Map a Network Drive

Can't Map a Network Drive: I have followed instructions on setting up a network drive but I am not able to select a folder. I have network and file sharing turned on. Windows version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900) [img] 159363
  7. Can't see mapped drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't see mapped drives: I'm not too sure how to describe my problem so I'll put as many details as I can. I'm using FreeNAS for sharing SMB shares. SMB3_11 is enabled. I'm not sure how to check if Windows is using 3_11 but I'm assuming it is. On my Windows 10 machine, I've mounted several SMB...
  8. Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....

Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....: Map network drive results: the network folder is already mapped using..... Windows 10, no domain controller, all machines in "WORKGROUP" I can see the share from other PCs but not the new Win10 pc....
  9. Unable to map network drive (apparently already mapped)

Unable to map network drive (apparently already mapped): So I want to map a network drive on windows 10 and were able to in the past, but now when I try to log in my server I get the message: The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and...
  10. "Resources Already In Use" Error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Resources Already In Use" Error: All, I uninstalled my Antivirus software program because I purchased a license for BitDefender. The problem is I can't install anything. When I double click on the .exe file I get an error message stating "resource already in use" Now I'm stuck with no Antivirus program...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. map drive the network resource is already in use