Windows 10: Can't map network share, but I can access it

Discus and support Can't map network share, but I can access it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm new to Windows 10 network shares and mapping, so please be kind! I have a SAMBA network share on a WD NAS drive, with login credentials, named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by purchal, Jul 13, 2020.

1. purchal Win User

Can't map network share, but I can access it

I'm new to Windows 10 network shares and mapping, so please be kind!

I have a SAMBA network share on a WD NAS drive, with login credentials, named "bobloblaw". I am trying to access it from my laptop running Windows 10 Pro v. 1909, via WiFi, on the local network.

I can access it from my laptop by typing "\\bobloblaw" in the File Explorer. This then becomes "> Network > bobloblaw", I can see the various folders in the window below, and "bobloblaw" appears at the bottom of the navigation pane under "Network."

But I can't access it by pointing and clicking in the File Explorer, or from e.g. Word's "Save" dialog. And I can't map it either:
    • File Explorer: When I double-click on Network in the navigation pane, then bobloblaw in the righthand window, it opens a browser window with HTTP access to the NAS control panel, instead of opening the NAS itself.
    • Application save dialog: When I click Browse, then Network, all I see is my computer. I don't see the NAS (or anything else on the network) at all.
    • Map drive: When I try to map the drive, enter "\\bobloblaw", and enter my credentials, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot access \\bobloblaw: Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose." When I click Diagnose, it thinks for a bit and then says, "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

I believe all the relevant services are running: Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host. A search yields a number of documents explaining how to activate network discovery, but not what to do when that doesn't work; and how to map a drive, but not what to do when the usual instructions don't work; etc.

Where do I go from there? Any advice appreciated.

:)

purchal, Jul 13, 2020
  2. Kbird Win User

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Can't map network share, but I can access it [​IMG]

Perhaps NetBIOS needs enabling ? ^^^^^ ie win10 sets it to Default not Enabled which does not always work

Perhaps NetBIOS needs enabling ?

Kbird, Jul 13, 2020
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. rboppy Win User

Can't access other user on home network, again

My wife's computer was just updated to Version 1709, and as with most Windows updates, I'm unable to access certain files/users/computers. This one is new, I can see her computer (JIMS-PC) just fine (Map Network Drive/Browse), but can't log into any of her folders. I can map to user Jim and to c.

Suzy is her user name and as you can see it is not listed under Users. She shows up under JIMS-PC because I went into her properties and clicked share this folder in Advanced Sharing. But I can't map to it.

There are no other mappings on my computer to JIMS-PC. Subsequent attempts to log on brings up this message:

tenforums is the closet thing I have to a network administrator, any ideas?

rboppy, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't map network share, but I can access it - Similar Threads - Can't map network

2. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  3. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  4. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  5. Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot

Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot: I have a folder on a file server Windows XP Pro - Logon: USER no logon password which I have shared share permission read/write to ALEX not administrator and added ALEX into the security list. File server IP = 192.168.1.111 I have a desktop Windows 10 Home Logon: USERno...
  6. Unable to map network share suddenly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to map network share suddenly: Hi all, Just been accessing my network share on a linux box through a self served vpn server (on router) with no problems, when suddenly I'm getting no joy. Tried to remap (and deleted credentials) and firstly it comes back a second time with the password box, and then fails...
  7. Can't access a shared network drive

Can't access a shared network drive: I have a Windows desktop system here to which I need to connect my two Windows laptops. Laptop1 connects fine but laptop2 returns an error to the effect that I need permission to access that system. But obviously I've done everything on the desktop system that needs to be...
  8. write access on map network

write access on map network: When a hard drive with software libraries on a Windows 10 PC (system A) is mapped as a network drive on another Windows 10 PC (system B), any attempt to perform a codegen(RTW-MATLAB) on system B fails with SQL errors (see attached error screenshot) when it tries to access...
  9. Mapping network shares on boot

Mapping network shares on boot: Hello, Is it only me, or is Win10 extremely buggy when it comes to startup scripts? In Win7 this worked flawlessly, but since I upgraded (and now installed fresh), when I give an user a logon script (and put it in the corresponding folder of course, incl. turn off the...
  10. Can't access network shares

Can't access network shares: Before the upgrade to 10 I was on 7 and logged in with a local account with all computers having the same usernames and passwords and sharing worked flawlessly. After the upgrade I am now logging in with a Microsoft account and sharing does not work. Windows 7 Pro -->...