Windows 10: Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

Discus and support Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed a second ssd on my laptop, then partitioned it into 2 parts, a 420gb one and a 50gb one, meaning to install another OS on the 50gb one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elmateo7, Sep 27, 2018.

1. elmateo7 Win User

Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

I installed a second ssd on my laptop, then partitioned it into 2 parts, a 420gb one and a 50gb one, meaning to install another OS on the 50gb one (ubuntu 18.04). Ubuntu instead ended up creating another 100gb partition off of the 350gb one and successfully installed there. But now I'm left with a 320gb partition and a 50gb one. So I tried deleting the 50gb partition then extending the 350gb one, but got an error message. I then deleted the 350gb one as well hoping the unallocated spaces would be combined into one, but they weren't.
    My current situation:

Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd [​IMG]

So I've got 2 unallocated spaces with a partition between them. I then tried creating a new partition in the 320 gb section. In the New Simple Volume Wizard it gives me the option to create a partition with 380gb of space:

But when I go through the menus and click finish it creates a new volume with 320gb of space, and doesn't use the other 50gb.

So then when I try to extend the volume, (by any amount, even 1mb) I get this error message:

Is there some way to fix this and combine the 2 sections into 1 partition, or am I doomed to forever have an extraneous 50gb partition?

:)

elmateo7, Sep 27, 2018
  2. Honey Win User

Not Getting Able to Merge Drive with Unallocated Space!

i tried to Delete Part K which is now Unallocated Drive, i right clicked on Part I, selected option "Merge" now Drive is not being shown on list, not able to merge.

Honey, Sep 27, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User

You should be able to right click on partition I:, in Disk Management, and select Extend volume... to add the unallocated space to partition I:. It should be as simple as that. You can't "merge" unallocated space with a partition, because unallocated space is not a partition. To "merge" 2 things those things need to be the same type of thing.

And no, it's not illegal to copy files to another drive.

MrGenius, Sep 27, 2018
  4. IceScreamer Win User

Exit the merge window. In the main window you should be able to see the unallocated space. Right click it, and choose move/resize, and then move/drag it to the end of the drive. Then try the merge.

IceScreamer, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd - Similar Threads - Can't merge unallocated

2. Merging partitions.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging partitions.: [img] I'm trying to do something with the mini partition wizard that is raved about on this site. The FACTORY IMAGE D above is useless to my computer now that I have been on Windows 10 Home (latest build) and Windows 10 so graciously dropped a 449MB Recovery Partition...
  3. unallocated partition

unallocated partition: Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD. I am certain that in the past there was not such a thing. My question is what might be a possible reason that such a partition develops? 96903
  4. Merge several unallocated spaces into one.

Merge several unallocated spaces into one.: Hello guys, I was wondering if you can help me out with this, I have three, unallocated spaces on my laptop and I want to merge them into one new partition. Bear in mind that I have basic disk partitioning, do I need to transition to dynamic and is it possible to loss some...
  5. 101 mb unallocated

101 mb unallocated: Hi everyone, just signed up! I had windows 7 on my PC, I was messing around in disk management and set random partitions to active. After that when I'd reboot my PC I would get a screen that said "bootmgr is missing," I didn't actually mind cause I have a copy of windows...
  6. 6 instances of small unallocated space on my ssd (see pic)

6 instances of small unallocated space on my ssd (see pic): Hello, I have 6 instances of small unallocated space(each around 1GB or less) on my ssd. I've tried using EaseUS Partition Master11.0 as well as AOMEI Partition Pro to merge the unallocated space but the option to merge doesn't exist or is grayed out. If someone could...
  7. Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space

Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space: Hi all, Until recently, I ran a dual boot system with Ubuntu - but for business reasons, I uninstalled it (along with it's bootloader). Anyway, I cleared up the hard drive space in the Disk Management app on windows 10, I have about 350GB free space from Ubuntu and I...
  8. Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition: After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is...
  9. This PC Downloads and Documents have merged and can't be separated

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC Downloads and Documents have merged and can't be separated: Just set up an OEM version on Windows 10 Home on a new laptop. After getting it set up, I moved the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders under This PC to a secondary drive. (I did this by right clicking on the folder, going to Location, and selecting a folder on the secondary...
  10. Merge Directories

in Windows 10 Support
    Merge Directories: I have two large Directories (about 25 GB each, 6-7000 files) that contain similar information. One may have newer files than the other. I would like to merge them into one Directory and eliminate duplicate files. Is there some software that can do that ? Thanks,...