Windows 10: Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

Discus and support Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed a second ssd on my laptop, then partitioned it into 2 parts, a 420gb one and a 50gb one, meaning to install another OS on the 50gb one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elmateo7, Sep 27, 2018.

1. elmateo7 Win User

Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

I installed a second ssd on my laptop, then partitioned it into 2 parts, a 420gb one and a 50gb one, meaning to install another OS on the 50gb one (ubuntu 18.04). Ubuntu instead ended up creating another 100gb partition off of the 350gb one and successfully installed there. But now I'm left with a 320gb partition and a 50gb one. So I tried deleting the 50gb partition then extending the 350gb one, but got an error message. I then deleted the 350gb one as well hoping the unallocated spaces would be combined into one, but they weren't.
    My current situation:

Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd [​IMG]

So I've got 2 unallocated spaces with a partition between them. I then tried creating a new partition in the 320 gb section. In the New Simple Volume Wizard it gives me the option to create a partition with 380gb of space:

But when I go through the menus and click finish it creates a new volume with 320gb of space, and doesn't use the other 50gb.

So then when I try to extend the volume, (by any amount, even 1mb) I get this error message:

Is there some way to fix this and combine the 2 sections into 1 partition, or am I doomed to forever have an extraneous 50gb partition?

:)

elmateo7, Sep 27, 2018
  2. Honey Win User

Not Getting Able to Merge Drive with Unallocated Space!

i tried to Delete Part K which is now Unallocated Drive, i right clicked on Part I, selected option "Merge" now Drive is not being shown on list, not able to merge.

Honey, Sep 27, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User

You should be able to right click on partition I:, in Disk Management, and select Extend volume... to add the unallocated space to partition I:. It should be as simple as that. You can't "merge" unallocated space with a partition, because unallocated space is not a partition. To "merge" 2 things those things need to be the same type of thing.

And no, it's not illegal to copy files to another drive.

MrGenius, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

Exit the merge window. In the main window you should be able to see the unallocated space. Right click it, and choose move/resize, and then move/drag it to the end of the drive. Then try the merge.

IceScreamer, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd

1. Can't merge unallocated sections on ssd - Similar Threads - Can't merge unallocated

2. Can't Merge Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Merge Unallocated Space: I have an SSD drive and I'm would like to merge all unallocated space together so it's not in random places but it wont allow me to do so and I cannot merge the healthy recovery to the 1.06gb partition next to it either. These partitions were created by windows 11 and my ssdI...
  3. Can't Merge Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Merge Unallocated Space: I have an SSD drive and I'm would like to merge all unallocated space together so it's not in random places but it wont allow me to do so and I cannot merge the healthy recovery to the 1.06gb partition next to it either. These partitions were created by windows 11 and my ssdI...
  4. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?: Hi, i just want to ask something here and let the picture tell everything.PartisiSo should i merge them my harddisk ? is there any problem if i merge them that allocated D to the unallocated one?...
  5. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?: Hi, i just want to ask something here and let the picture tell everything.PartisiSo should i merge them my harddisk ? is there any problem if i merge them that allocated D to the unallocated one?...
  6. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can i merge unallocated space on SSD?

Can i merge unallocated space on SSD?: [img] Can i merge the 4.88gb into the 926.63gb? 134244
  8. Can i merge unallocated space on SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i merge unallocated space on SSD?: [img] Can i merge the 4.88gb into the 926.63gb? 134244
  9. Merge several unallocated spaces into one.

Merge several unallocated spaces into one.: Hello guys, I was wondering if you can help me out with this, I have three, unallocated spaces on my laptop and I want to merge them into one new partition. Bear in mind that I have basic disk partitioning, do I need to transition to dynamic and is it possible to loss some...
  10. Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition: After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is...