Windows 10: Can't Meter Internet Connection

Discus and support Can't Meter Internet Connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a Verizon Hotspot with unlimited data. However, it slows way down after 10gb & this past month, it was used in 1 night by Microsoft Updates. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by karenandcollins, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Can't Meter Internet Connection

I use a Verizon Hotspot with unlimited data. However, it slows way down after 10gb & this past month, it was used in 1 night by Microsoft Updates. I went to the settings to meter my data so that wouldn't happen, but the "set as metered connection" is grayed out & won't let me change it. I tried following the instruction thru the command prompt to change it & that wouldn't do it either. Please help. Hate using my "good data" for updates. thank you

:)

karenandcollins, Aug 25, 2017
  2. Tim Anderson, Aug 25, 2017
  3. book-mark Win User
    Can't Set USB Mobile Broadband Adapter As Metered

Sorry, that's no help because there is no place to set the connection as a metered connection.

To quote from the Microsoft article on Metered Internet connections: FAQ :

Note

• Ethernet network connections can't be set to metered.

Therefore, because the USB Mobile Broadband adapters are installed as Ethernet adapters, it is not possible to set them as metered connections.

This true even with a USB Mobile Broadband adapter that uses the generic Microsoft "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" driver.

book-mark, Aug 25, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

Can't Meter Internet Connection

Karen etc,

Whilst I have not tested this since Ver 1607, you had to be logged in to an Admin account for the metered setting to be active [not greyed out] so that you can change it.

There also used to be problems with the setting shown in the greyed out control - it might be telling lies. The netsh commands discussed in the link told the truth.

Denis

5. I am logged in as the administrator & the netsh command did not work either.

6. Ha. This was my husband's computer I was dealing with & I "assumed" he was the administrator since he's the only one using it. I decided I'd better check that to be sure, because as I thought about it, it explained some other issues I'd had with it. To my surprise, he was not the administrator, so I changed it & low & behold, I could then meter his connection. I never would have thought about that without your help. So, thank you, thank you for your time.

7. Try3 Win User
    I am glad it's sorted out now.

Windows 10 is full of surprises. I cannot understand the logic for letting an Admin user change the metered setting without invoking Admin privileges yet not letting a Standard user change it. So, unlike Windows 7, an Admin user is not quite the same as a Standard user even before invoking its privileges.

Still, that's our own fault for using this experimental OS. I wonder if its developers will ever deem it fit for general release.

Denis

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't Meter Internet Connection

1. Can't Meter Internet Connection - Similar Threads - Can't Meter Internet

2. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection: My wifi says turn off metered connection but when i go to settings the wifi tab does not appear please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/f3e9f6a8-62a2-41b4-955f-ff35086fb242
  3. Can't install driver due to "metered connection", but metered connection is actually turned...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install driver due to "metered connection", but metered connection is actually turned...: I am trying to install our printer on my daughter's Acer notebook but it gets half way through and then tells me it can't complete the installation due to being on a metered connection. But when you go to network settings metered connection is set to off and is greyed out....
  4. Metered Connections

Metered Connections: How do I change my settings so I can connect to WI-FI? At the moment, it says I can only use an ethernet cord which is not an option. I have a ASUS Desktop running on Windows 10 PRO....
  5. Metered connection

Metered connection: Hello, I've been trying to set up a metered connection for half an hour and after awhile I got it working until it's expire date now the option is grayed out. Here's a screenshot:[ATTACH]...
  6. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  7. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  8. METERED CONNECTION

in Cortana
    METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...
  10. Bluetooth disabled when internet connection is metered.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth disabled when internet connection is metered.: Why is bluetooth disabled when the internet connection is metered? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/bluetooth-disabled-when-internet-connection-is/6aa954c8-8bb7-4290-a632-b347e88668da