Windows 10: Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles

Discus and support Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have Windows 10 on a 2TB HDD with about 1TB of the HDD full. I would like to migrate Windows to an 80GB SSD but I can't find anyway to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Axeinfection, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles

Hello,
    I have Windows 10 on a 2TB HDD with about 1TB of the HDD full. I would like to migrate Windows to an 80GB SSD but I can't find anyway to do this without cloning the entire drive, which I can't do because there is too much content on the HDD. Is there any way to migrate Windows to a different drive whilst keeping all user files and installed applications on the old drive so I can have two drives in my system, the SSD for boot and the HDD for storage and applications.
    Thanks *Smile

:)

Axeinfection, Nov 19, 2015
  2. MikeCWF Win User

File history - new external drive installed

I have recently migrated from a 3TB external HD to an 8TB version for use with File History as part of my overall backup strategy.

Will the newly created incarnation of File History include the older versions of files that previously were (and still are) stored on the smaller drive, or does the new instance of file history only include files as they were when it was initiated and have
    been updated subsequently?

If the later, can the old and new archives be merged? I'd like to be able to format and repurpose the smaller drive, but don't want to lose the older file versions unneccesarlily.

MikeCWF, Nov 19, 2015
  3. POuria25 Win User
    Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD - cannot Reset This PC from partition

HI

I've same problem after migration my windows from an old HDD to a new HDD hard drive with using 'Ease Us' and I would like to reset my windows 10 but I can't !

I've tried with using my old HDD hard drive but it gives me an error like 'The drive is locked unlock the drive'!

What should I do now?! I would like reset my Pc with out losing my files but I can't it gives an error like 'to insert recovery media' what should I do? there is any chance to solve that without losing
    my files?

Please help me, I'm student and I need my PC.

My PC is hp Envy dv6.

POuria25, Nov 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles

Not that I've ever seen. I think you will have to clean install to the 80GB SSD (which is small and will probably cause you problems in a while). Once that's done you can remove Windows 10 from the two TB hard drive.

Ztruker, Nov 20, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    I thought of something, but not sure if it will work. Create a second partition on the large disk. Then relocate your user folders in a folder inside the new partition (right-click, select Properties and go to Location tab). Move all your data there to free the C partition. Also relocate the Program Files folder to the second partition (done from Registry). There are programs to transfer the installed applications to another place, I don't recall them now. Move any other folder in C to the new partition. Once you have decreased the data size to less than 80GB you can clone the C partition to SSD. Boot from the SSD, check that you data are accessible and that your applications load properly, then you can delete the first partition on the large disk (assuming you have made the SSD bootable and can boot from there) and expand the second partition to take all space. Of course for this to work SSD partition must be C and booting into Windows from it, while the partition on the disk where you relocated your data must have the same drive letter as when you relocated them.

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but it should work and it is certainly faster than doing a clean-install.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  6. Thanks spapakons.
    am not very keen to mess around with partitions but I have so many installed applications that it will probably be the best option. If, however, I wanted to do a clean install of Windows how do I find out my product key?
    Thanks.

Axeinfection, Nov 22, 2015
  7. Wullail Win User
    Use Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Free to make the partitions , it's a pretty good program and very reliable....The product key # for your PC from when you upgraded is saved on the microsoft server and you should be able to just install a new copy without having to enter a product key.

Wullail, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles

1. Can't Migrate Windows To A Smaller Drive Without Losing FIles - Similar Threads - Can't Migrate Smaller

2. can't be able to change resolution of a game without it's window getting smaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't be able to change resolution of a game without it's window getting smaller: hiso i am using a MacBook Pro 2019, and i installed bootcamp on it, i used to use bootcamp on my mac but because of a problem, my mac fully got erased and i had to reinstall windows again, before my mac getting erased, i would be able to change resolutions of games such as...
  3. can't be able to change resolution of a game without it's window getting smaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't be able to change resolution of a game without it's window getting smaller: hiso i am using a MacBook Pro 2019, and i installed bootcamp on it, i used to use bootcamp on my mac but because of a problem, my mac fully got erased and i had to reinstall windows again, before my mac getting erased, i would be able to change resolutions of games such as...
  4. Can't upgrade boot drive without losing activation no other changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't upgrade boot drive without losing activation no other changes: I have an old Intel 8 series chipset PC. Custom build, Asus board, with an OEM Windows 7 Pro license. It was upgraded to Windows 10, and then 11 over the years. It is linked to my microsoft account. Recently, I upgraded the boot drive from a SATA platter to an NVME via PCIE...
  5. Can't upgrade boot drive without losing activation no other changes

Can't upgrade boot drive without losing activation no other changes: I have an old Intel 8 series chipset PC. Custom build, Asus board, with an OEM Windows 7 Pro license. It was upgraded to Windows 10, and then 11 over the years. It is linked to my microsoft account. Recently, I upgraded the boot drive from a SATA platter to an NVME via PCIE...
  6. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  7. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  8. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

9. Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd: Help! I migrated my OS to a smaller SSD. Now I need to format the old drive but not sure how? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-os-drive-after-migrating-to-smaller-ssd/286b446d-6342-4402-b890-979b8727a196
  10. How to migrate files without confusing One Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to migrate files without confusing One Drive: I have a question which I just can't seem to find a straight answer to. I even tried contacting Microsoft support about it, but regretted that rather quickly, sadly. My question is this: I have circa 200 GB of files fully synced with OneDrive. I have a number of PCs all...