Windows 10: can't modify file due to lack of permissions

Discus and support can't modify file due to lack of permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am admin on my home PC and since i upgraded to 10 i can't seem to do a lot of things. In some cases i have been able to go into the file's properties... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hepme, Aug 13, 2020.

1. hepme Win User

can't modify file due to lack of permissions

I am admin on my home PC and since i upgraded to 10 i can't seem to do a lot of things. In some cases i have been able to go into the file's properties and allow myself permission but in others not. Why is this? And how can i just have full control over everything? I can't even stop windows update because i do all the steps necassary but it updates anyways. There got to be a way that a person with their own personal computer can control it !

Anyways, right now my problem is so simple i can't believe it won't even let me do this and i cannot modify permissions as the edit is gryed out. All i wanted to do it take the mail notification sound file and make it louder in my audio editor app so that I can have my PC sound at the level i want it but for that file to be louder. But if i try and edit it it won't ley me, or if i try and copy it then adit the copy and use it to replace the original it still won't. Any idea how i can do this, or even better just get myself full permissions? I don't understand why as the only user of my PC and being admin i can't do so many things. I paid or the thing and i'd like to b able to alter MY pc !

:)

hepme, Aug 13, 2020

2. Unable to view transferred files due to permissions issue

Hello,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows regarding accessing the backup files. We will help you.

How was the files backed up, using File history or Backup and Restore?

This issue might have occurred due to lack of permissions set to the drive/ folder.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to set provide permission of the folders to users and check if it helps.

Steps to give permissions to the drive:

• Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select
      Properties.

• Click on Security tab and under
      Group or user names
      click on Edit.

• Click on Add and type
      Everyone.

• Click on Check names and then click
      OK.

• Select Everyone and under
      Allow
      select Full control and click on
      Apply and Click Ok.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 13, 2020
  4. can't modify file due to lack of permissions

Unable to open documents due to permission error

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to know whether you have signed in to the Administrators account.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.
    To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important You must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.
    • Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.
    For the Printer issue: I suggest you to run printer troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

can't modify file due to lack of permissions

1. can't modify file due to lack of permissions - Similar Threads - can't modify file

2. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file: Skills once mastered fade when they remain unused for a while. Can anyone remind me why this doesn't work?I've set the permissions on File.txt for users to be able to modify, but it still seems that a standard user still can't modify the file.C:\>cacls File.txt C:\File.txt...
  3. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file: Skills once mastered fade when they remain unused for a while. Can anyone remind me why this doesn't work?I've set the permissions on File.txt for users to be able to modify, but it still seems that a standard user still can't modify the file.C:\>cacls File.txt C:\File.txt...
  4. NTFS Permissions BUILTIN\Users:C - still can't modify file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I cant access Minecraft launcher due to lack of permissions in the windowsApps folder how...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant access Minecraft launcher due to lack of permissions in the windowsApps folder how...: I can't access Minecraft launcher due to a lack of permissions in the windows apps folder, although it seems to be fine to my user admin in the security tab, I tried to reset my pc, but nothing has changed how do I fix it?...
  6. Unable to execute file due to permissions

Unable to execute file due to permissions: I signed in with an Administrator account in Windows 10 and I was trying to execute an exe file but I was unable to. So I tried to make changes to the security permission but it show a message that "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object" so I...
  7. I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.: Hi, I bought this computer a few months ago and I installed it with Windows 10 Home Activated. Lately This week, when I download anything from the internet that contains a folder Like a .rar file I can't delete the folder, it says I need permissions from the administrator....
  8. lack sufficient permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    lack sufficient permissions: My user account refuses to allow me to be the administrator, tells me I lack sufficient permissions to change files. I am the only user. As a test user I can be administrator. Help. Adobe guys spent hours trying to make their apps let me import or export files. Nothing...
  9. Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder: I come from windows 7 and i have not problem to copy delete etc. files on programs. Now every time i search to change file o delete or copy a windows appear ask me a permission... There is a way to disable this warning or ahve full acces to programs ? Thank Hispa 11933
  10. lack permissions to my documents

in Windows 10 Support
    lack permissions to my documents: I get a message "you don't currently have permission to access this folder", when I try to open my documents folder, which is located in the default location in my user account on the C drive. hmmm. I can click on the error message and gain temporary access, but after the...