Windows 10: Can't modify properties of certain files

Discus and support Can't modify properties of certain files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Some files,when I modify the metadata (es. Images), sometimes it says "unable to modify metadata: file in use by COM Surrogate". The problem is that,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fraaaaa4, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Can't modify properties of certain files

Some files,when I modify the metadata (es. Images), sometimes it says "unable to modify metadata: file in use by COM Surrogate". The problem is that, COM Surrogate aka dllhost.exe is the same process that should modify the metadata, so if I turn down this process the whole process of modify gets cancelled. How can I fix this?

submitted by /u/fraaaaa4
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fraaaaa4, Oct 13, 2020

2. How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

Thank you for your answer. The drop down list does not give me the option of a specific date modified. I can request files modified the last week, month, etc. I want to find file modified from a certain date which is more than one year. I can get a
    list of all files modified during the last year, but I need also some files modified more that a year ago.

Can you help?

JayLevinson, Oct 13, 2020
  3. How do I search for files modified after a certain date in Windows 10, NOT files just modifies last week,month,year,etc

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your response.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open a Folder and type a file you wanted to search.
    • Type ModifiedCan't modify properties of certain files :Date of modified in the search box. Example:
      Modified:1/7/2016
    • It will show all the files which are modified on the particular date.
    Hope this information helps.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Can't modify properties of certain files

How to modify file properites

Hi Vaughan,

The properties of the files like .mp3 are set to default and each properties intended for a function for the file to work properly. Attempting to change these properties could corrupt the file and then make the file unable to run on
    the Computer. I suggest you not to modify the properties of the files to avoid the file being corrupted.

Get back to us for further queries in the future, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Can't modify properties of certain files

1. Can't modify properties of certain files - Similar Threads - Can't modify properties

2. Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?: I have all of the latest windows updates installed, and I was wondering what this could mean, because I can't open the properties tab in any settings, like in the picture....
  3. Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?: I have all of the latest windows updates installed, and I was wondering what this could mean, because I can't open the properties tab in any settings, like in the picture....
  4. "these files have properties that can't be read"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "these files have properties that can't be read": I'm trying to edit a video mp4 in Video Editor Photos and getting this error: "these files have properties that can't be read". I have to Dell Pcs, in one Video Editor can add the video in the other it can't. So nothing is wrong with the video. Both PCs were upgraded to...
  5. FIle Properties can't be edited in an MP4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle Properties can't be edited in an MP4: Hi - I've been capturing lots of old camcorder videos - and have them sorted on my Onedrive once I've topped and tailed the capture file.They are .MP4 - and I want to change the File Properties, but I am unable to. Any idea why they are locked?...
  6. Can't read certain files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't read certain files: why i can't open files like .md, .ipynb, .yaml. everytime i try to open it it will show "how do you want to open this file ?". [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  7. Can't open certain files.

Can't open certain files.: After a recent Windows update I am unable to open some of my files on disk or backup hard drive. Instead, I get the message; The media is write protected. I am able to open, modify and save the same files on either media using my old XP laptop but not on my laptop running...
  8. Search for files having a certain property

Search for files having a certain property: Is it possible to use the File Explorer to search for flies have a certain property, e.g. size, date, title associated with an audio file, etc.? If so, where is the syntax of the search string defined?...
  9. Can't check the properties of a file.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't check the properties of a file.: Having serious issues on my windows 10 O.S. For example instead of cut it changed to windoes.cut or properties changed to windows.properties. Can't check the properties of a file. When I right click on a folder it does not show the entire options like before which...
  10. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...