Windows 10: Can't mount external hard drive

Discus and support Can't mount external hard drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wireman, Jul 6, 2020.

1. wireman Win User

Can't mount external hard drive

An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly
    archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data
    gave the following error :-

mount /media/backup
    mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB

Why does this error occur and how is it fixed ?

Thanks.

wireman, Jul 6, 2020
  2. DAB Buff Win User

Do you need to "Mount" an external hard drive before you "Format" the external hard drive?

Do you need to "Mount" an external hard drive before you "Format" the external hard drive?

DAB Buff, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 6, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't mount external hard drive - Similar Threads - Can't mount external

2. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  5. Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive: I have recently installed a new version of Windows which means I have lost my data. Before doing so, I created a system image so I could move important files back to my PC. However, if I try to do anyhting with this Hard Disk Image File then this popup appears: [ATTACH]...
  6. External hard drive can't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive can't open: External hard drive is listed in disc management as "raw". Is there a way to open or access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-cant-open/6ac9492f-b2ed-4301-916b-48d818c0af86
  7. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  8. Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup

Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup: Hello. Basically I've got the problem it says in the title. Every single time I boot up Windows on my laptop, this second partition on my SSD will not be assigned a drive letter. I have to go into disk management and assign it every time. I've already scanned the drive for...
  9. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...