Windows 10: Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse

Discus and support Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi I am currently using windows 11 and recently i have been unable to move video files from a folder on c drive to d drive -when i try the transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Sct21, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Sct21 Win User

Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse

Hi I am currently using windows 11 and recently i have been unable to move video files from a folder on c drive to d drive -when i try the transfer starts then just slows right down to 0kbs and never completes. If i restart the pc , i can transfer a file, but when i come to view it, it wont work. The media player takes ages to start then just freezes, when trying to play it this causes it to freeze for all files on d drive. If i close and cancel everything, i can then view everything on d drive as normal.I have run chkdsk, scannow, dsim etc and even repaired windows but still does not work.

:)

Sct21, Jun 12, 2024

2. C and D drives are reversed after Windows update

After the last windows 10 update somehow C and D drives were switched so now Windows cannot boot up because it is trying to boot from C drive Volume 1 which is the Recovery drive but my Windows is now on D drive volume 0.

I've tried selecting C drive in command prompt booting from USB drive and assigning it a different letter and Diskpart says that it successfully assigned the letter but when I go to list volume it still has Recovery listed as C and main partition listed as D.

For some reason it is refusing to change C drive to something else even though it says that it is changed. All partitions are listed as healthy. Bootrec /scanos = 0 total identified windows installations.

How do I reverse those 2 for good in command prompt?

I haven't been able to find a good article or video on it.

TigerEyz555, Jun 12, 2024
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jun 12, 2024
  4. Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse

C and D drives are reversed after Windows update

Hi Tiger,

I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

What you see is by design - Windows Recovery environment resides in a separate partition, so when it is run, it shows as C, and the Windows OS shows in D.

Try these steps in order:

1. Use Startup repair: The first option you can try is to use Startup repair, which automatically detects and fixes problems. Depending on the severity of the problem, it may or may not be successful.

2. Uninstall Updates

The second step you can try is to uninstall the latest updates if Windows 10 fails to start after installing updates.

Choose Uninstall Updates.

Uninstall the update based on what was installed – a feature update or a quality update. Usually, the former is responsible.

3. CHKDSK:

If uninstalling did not help and is unrelated, the next step is to try using a Disk Check.

Choose Command Prompt in the list of troubleshooting.

Get the Current Windows Installation drive letter, which is either C, D, or E; Type BCDEDIT, and Press Enter. Note the letter.

Enter the command given below:

chkdsk X: /f /r (Replace X with the Current Windows Install Letter)

When done, you would see the output and restart the PC to check.

4. Another try you can give to fix is SFC SCANNOW through the Offboot switch. For this, follow the steps below:

First, find the Windows Install drive letter using the BCDEDIT command.

Then, try entering the following command:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

After the scan completes, you will see the results.

You can also try using DISM: dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

5. Reset this PC or clean install.

The last Step is a Reset. The catch with Reset is all applications would be removed, and files would be kept(you would be presented with the option to erase everything). Also, for this step, A healthy Reset Image is required, which maybe would be affected by corruption. If you are using Installation media, you can do a clean install after rescuing your files.

Rescue Files when Windows won't start

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

The steps are in detail with pictures here:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/08/fix-wi...

Content on the above blog is written by a Windows MVP, so it is safe. However, do watch out for ads.

Sumit D - IA, Jun 12, 2024
Thema:

Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse

1. Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse - Similar Threads - Cant move files

2. Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant move files from c to d drive but works in reverse: Hi I am currently using windows 11 and recently i have been unable to move video files from a folder on c drive to d drive -when i try the transfer starts then just slows right down to 0kbs and never completes. If i restart the pc , i can transfer a file, but when i come to...
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  5. What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?: Hi,I want to move some file from C drive to D drive.The files I have in C drive are Drivers, IREPSSigner, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Filesx86, Tally.ERP6,Users, Windows.What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?...
  6. What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?: Hi,I want to move some file from C drive to D drive.The files I have in C drive are Drivers, IREPSSigner, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Filesx86, Tally.ERP6,Users, Windows.What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?...
  7. What are the files that should be moved to drive D from drive C ?

8. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  9. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  10. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE