Windows 10: Can't move my Documents folder.

Discus and support Can't move my Documents folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been trying to free up some disk space recently and start moving my folders to my D drive. I've already disabled Onedrive so I moved Desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by theIceflameDagger, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Can't move my Documents folder.

I've been trying to free up some disk space recently and start moving my folders to my D drive.

I've already disabled Onedrive so I moved Desktop, Downloads, Music and Videos. When I tried to move Documents and Pictures however, an error message appeared saying: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied".

I looked and I found a Documents folder and a Pictures folder and decided to delete them but I still get the same error message.

Can anyone help with this?

:)

theIceflameDagger, Nov 4, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 4, 2020
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Micah Bat Win User

Can't move my Documents folder.

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

Can't move my Documents folder.

1. Can't move my Documents folder. - Similar Threads - Can't move Documents

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  5. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  6. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  7. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  8. Moving my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving my Documents folder: Having an issue with space on my C:\ drive, so in Users\Tom\ right clicking on the Documents folder, clicking on the Location tab and selecting "Move". Filled in the new location N:\Users\Tom\Documents. System replied with a confirmation window confirming Old location and New...
  9. Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moved Documents folder to enter drive, not folder. Can't restore.: I did a fresh install of Win10 on an SSD and was in the process of moving the Documents folder to a separate HDD (F drive) using the 'Move to' option but I selected just the F: drive instead of a new Documents folder. When I tried to move again to the Documents folder on the...
  10. Accidently moved my documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidently moved my documents folder: I was scrolling through my file explorer and I think I accidently dragged my Documents folder to the desktop folder. Now I'm not sure where it is supposed to be. When my usual scheduled backup ran, I received a message that this folder could not be backed up. The file...