Windows 10: Can't mute Headphones!

Discus and support Can't mute Headphones! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am able to set my Windows volume to 0%, but if I want to use the windows mute shortcut or a mute shortcut on my mouse or keyboard it doesn't work at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Humpert764, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Can't mute Headphones!

I am able to set my Windows volume to 0%, but if I want to use the windows mute shortcut or a mute shortcut on my mouse or keyboard it doesn't work at all. This only happens with my "Sony wh 900n" Bluetooth headphones, other audio devices don't show the same effect. So my question is, why isn't it possible to mute my headphones but every other audio device and if there is any way to fix it? Thanks for reading and probably answering my question!

:)

Humpert764, Mar 17, 2019
  2. tallguy Win User

Sound won't come back after muting

Problem:

Plugging headphones (Sound plays) -> Muting -> Unmuting -> Sound doesn't play anymore

Fix (No restart required)

Sound doesn't play -> Mute (with headphones in) -> Unplug headphones ->Unmute (with headphones out) -> Mute (with headphones out) -> Plug headphones -> Unmute (with headphones in).

This is the shortest pattern I could find. Important to follow step by step. It might not work because I have no idea why it works on my end (without starting conspiracy theories about boolean variables being out of sync on the audio driver, which would be the most embarassing thing ever for whoever wrote these drivers).

tallguy, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Volume Mute Light won´t change color

Before I follow your suggestions, a quick update: as the updating didn´t seem to work I stopped trying and just left it alone for awhile. About a half hour later I looked over and saw that the mute light was now blue. I tried the button but it and the volume buttons did not work at all. On the screen I was told that I needed to reboot, which I did and now the system has returned back to the way it was before: everything works except that the mute light does not change to blue as it should when the speakers are not muted. WTF?

mrsnakeman, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Nath Bea Win User

Can't mute Headphones!

no sound in headphones

Hi Mary,

If your headphones stops working in Windows devices, you can try solutions below to fix the problem. The issue can be caused by incorrect sound settings, faulty audio drivers, etc. We suggest that you follow below simple instructions to troubleshoot the
    problem.

• Check if the sound is muted. If it is muted, the headphone won’t have sound.
    • Check the connection. Try unplugging the headphone and firmly plug it back in.
    • Check the port. If you are using a USB headphone, try a different USB port.
    • Try the headphone on another computer. Use your headphone on another computer. If it doesn’t work on that computer, the headphone might be broken. In that case, you need to replace it with a new one.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

Nath Bea, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

Can't mute Headphones!

1. Can't mute Headphones! - Similar Threads - Can't mute Headphones

2. Why are my headphones automatically on mute?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my headphones automatically on mute?: I have a Headset I use plugged into a USB slot on my HP ProBook with Windows 10 Pro.I use it for work, it never moves, I never unplug it. During the week I use CTRL+L once all my programs are shutdown. I do not restart or shutdown the computer. However, every single day my...
  3. Why are my headphones automatically on mute?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my headphones automatically on mute?: I have a Headset I use plugged into a USB slot on my HP ProBook with Windows 10 Pro.I use it for work, it never moves, I never unplug it. During the week I use CTRL+L once all my programs are shutdown. I do not restart or shutdown the computer. However, every single day my...
  4. Why are my headphones automatically on mute?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. audio enhancements completely muting my headphones

audio enhancements completely muting my headphones: so when i enable literally any audio enhancement my headphones just get muted and i have to disable the enhancements https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-enhancements-completely-muting-my-headphones/a1d53928-2fcb-4594-805f-5ec5a7f0e25a
  6. mute bluetooth headphones

mute bluetooth headphones: since updating to 1909 i cannot mute my headphones. when i click on the toggle, the 'X' appears instantly, beeps, then disappears. 158004
  7. mute bluetooth headphones

in Windows 10 Support
    mute bluetooth headphones: since updating to 1909 i cannot mute my headphones. when i click on the toggle, the 'X' appears instantly, beeps, then disappears. 158004
  8. Can't Mute Bluetooth headphones

Can't Mute Bluetooth headphones: Like the title says, I cannot mute my Bluetooth headphones, but only my Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try to mute, whether with my keyboard or with the sound panel, it would not let me mute it. It will flash to 0 for a split second but then bounce back to whatever it was....
  9. Bluetooth headphones mute apps?

Bluetooth headphones mute apps?: Okay, so I've recently bought a Sony WH-XB700, and I use it for music, as well as audiocalls. At first I thought it was because of Discord, but now I moved to Skype, and when I join a Skype call, or even just ring someone, all the other apps music, games, movies, anything...
  10. Windows update "mutes" headphone's microphone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update "mutes" headphone's microphone.: Hello A while ago I installed some Windows 10 updates. When I did, I realized that when I plugged in my headphones, the microphone (built in my headphones) stopped working. It's not that it doesn't perceive any sound, but that it does extremely low, enough so the other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. head phone wont mute

2. cant mute bluetooth