Windows 10: Can't obtain read permissions on a file

Discus and support Can't obtain read permissions on a file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have an issue where I cannot obtain effective read permissions on a specific file. I cannot even copy the file. I have 2 drives and the issue... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sipirate, May 17, 2020.

1. Sipirate Win User

Can't obtain read permissions on a file

Hi, I have an issue where I cannot obtain effective read permissions on a specific file. I cannot even copy the file.
    I have 2 drives and the issue happens on either. No third party software can open the file lack of permissions.

I got the file to an other computer using a linux live cd key and made several experiments.

Changing the file owner or its NTFS permissions changes nothing.

Moving the file through ext4 and FAT32 partitions to "purge" all ntfs metadata does not solves the issue.

The NTFS permissions are however correctly reset by the operation.

7z and zip archives containing the file are subject to its anomalous effects, but not if they are encrypted.

Files obtained by copying the content of the original anomalous file using the "cat file > file2" linux command are subject to the same effects.

The problem persists on a FAT32 formated usb drive.

The problem seems related to the content of the file. Changing said content removes the issue while reverting the change makes it reappear.

Exact error message obtained when trying to copy the file $owner represents the owner name, I get a different message depending on the file owner :

You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from $Owner to make changes to this file.

I believe my problem to be similar to the one from the following thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-permission-settings-for-a-fat32/73d66ea9-abce-4a8f-8257-18a0b623863d

:)

Sipirate, May 17, 2020

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, May 17, 2020
  3. To obtain permission to open the files.

I'm the file owner and the administrator. How I can obtain permission to open the files?

Can't obtain read permissions on a file 02762fae-5461-4889-85b2-140b1b900e1f.jpg

Filip Ciklevski, May 17, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Read only files

Since you mentioned above that you are using an Administrator account, and after creating a new user account didn't make any changes, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it helps:

Take full control on permissions.

• Open File Explorer. Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab. Click Advanced, then
      Change Permissions
    • Highlight the user, and click Edit.
    • Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.
    • Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.
    • Click OK.

If there are other users on the computer, follow the steps below:

• Go to C Drive.
    • Right-click your user name in Users folder, then click Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then click Continue.
    • Click Enable Inheritance.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, May 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't obtain read permissions on a file - Similar Threads - Can't obtain read

2. Unable to acces file after obtaining permission and ownership in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to acces file after obtaining permission and ownership in Windows 11.: In December last year I've upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and with that upgrade I lost the ownership. The drive was encrypted with BitLocker, I was able to decrypt it but it seems my folder was also encryptedEFS. If I recall correctly the files on the USB stickdrive G...
  3. Unable to acces file after obtaining permission and ownership in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to acces file after obtaining permission and ownership in Windows 11.: In December last year I've upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and with that upgrade I lost the ownership. The drive was encrypted with BitLocker, I was able to decrypt it but it seems my folder was also encryptedEFS. If I recall correctly the files on the USB stickdrive G...
  4. About read & execute permission for text file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About read & execute permission for text file: When you create a fileetc, create a text file using explorer, it seems read & execute permission is given by default. Why read & execute permission is given by default to a text file ?Can this permission be removed ?...
  5. About read & execute permission for text file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About read & execute permission for text file: When you create a fileetc, create a text file using explorer, it seems read & execute permission is given by default. Why read & execute permission is given by default to a text file ?Can this permission be removed ?...
  6. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  7. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  8. Compressing To Zip File: "File Not Found Or No Read Permission"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressing To Zip File: "File Not Found Or No Read Permission": Here's the situation: I have issues zipping up the contents of my wwwroot folder. I do this to back up my personal webwork (and IIS makes it nicely convenient). When I use Windows compression (preferred way, fast and simple), I get the error "File Not Found Or No Read...
  9. Read Permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Read Permissions: I moved My Documents to my D: drive. I did this by going to My Documents Properties, then the Location tab, then entered the new location and clicked Move. It worked great for a while; quite a while. Then all the sudden, when I would do a Save As, give it a name, click...
  10. Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.: Hello, I just installed the latest build of Windows 10 and am running into some problems that never occurred to me before. My previous version of Windows 10 failed because of some system restore custom app that I downloaded so I had to reinstall. Anyway, I make a clean...