Windows 10: Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled

Discus and support Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I disabled UAC and when I try to open Edge, Calculator, etc I get a window message that says that I cant open it with UAC disabled, I find it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by millansoft, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled

Hello,
    I disabled UAC and when I try to open Edge, Calculator, etc I get a window message that says that I cant open it with UAC disabled, I find it something very annoying that makes me think about going back to Windows 7, is there any around this?
    In Windows 7 for example, I was able to open the calculator with UAC disabled.
    Thanks!

:)

millansoft, Aug 2, 2015
  2. ReneJoram Win User

Edge can't start built in admin account... but its not the admin account

Hi Stewart,

look at this link, there the design ist explained:

Why the built-in administrator account can’t open Edge (and a lesson in UAC)

The error message is not the whole truth. It should be named

"This app can't open 

Microsoft Edge can't be opened using an administrative token. Sign in with a different account with normal user rights and try again."

It's a security feature since Windows 8 that MODERN APPS cannot be started with an administrative token.

Only the built-in-Administrator has UAC disabled by default therefore he always has an administrative token, when he executes programs.

If you disable also UAC for "normal" admins (members of the local Administrator group), then they also have always an administrative token when executing programs, therefore you got this (disleading) error message.

Greetings

René

ReneJoram, Aug 2, 2015
  3. VioDuskar Win User
    App can't open with User Account Control disabled.

****?

I'm trying to open the calculator. why can't I open an app with UAC disabled?

do you know why i disable UAC? because I know what i'm doing. trust me windows. TRUST ME TO TRUST MYSELF.

Worst security feature ever.

stop trying to hold my hand. let me run whatever I want, without warning.

anyone have a way to allow UAC to be disabled an let me open my calculator?

VioDuskar, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled

You cannot open any universal apps with UAC disabled, because Universal apps run in sandboxes that are based on UAC functionality. It was the same way in Windows 8.

Some apps have moved from desktop apps to Universal apps in Windows 10, such as the calculator. Edge is also a universal app. Settings is also a universal so, with UAC disabled, you can't access settings either.

Basically, disabling UAC cripples your computer now, and you can't run without it effectively.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Hello,

Thanks for your answer, didnt know that Windows 8 was the same about it because I was still using Windows 7. I never liked the UAC stuff, will try to use it a bit more to see it better before take the decision to go back to Windows 7.

millansoft, Aug 2, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    Disabling UAC poses a huge security risk. If download a fake Adobe Flash Player installer, for example, would usually be able to tell that it is fake when run it and the UAC dialog box pops up telling that it is unsigned. Without UAC, would have to manually check in the Properties. don't even need to run the file rself. Some viruses can automatically execute from infected removable drives, and without UAC, would be infected. can disable the way UAC blocks the desktop by searching for "UAC" and clicking the first result then dragging the slider to the second from bottom position and clicking OK.

7. victor50 Win User
    @You I will be the judge of the risks. I had even to disable running in elevated mode in the policy editor. Because when running xplorer2 you can't create a folder in "Program Files" in normal mode, but in elevated mode it's running in the administrator account meaning that all your networkdrives have to be configured again.
    Anyway, prompting does not solve any risks as one tends to press on ok without reading the message after ten prompts or so. The only solution is virus-scanning and checking the source (url) yourself when in doubt.
    So I hope someone finds a way to run apps with all this disabled. In the meantime I will refrain from using them on the desktop.

victor50, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled

That is odd, Calc, Edge, Store run just fine with UAC disabled, maybe an update fixed that?

TairikuOkami, Aug 31, 2015
  9. victor50 Win User
    @TairikuOkami It turns out that the lever in the lowest position does not mean that UAC is disabled. Only "disable running in elevated mode" in the security policy editor does turn off the service entirely (restart necessary). I have not been able to identify a separate service that can be stopped or run or other methods of turning it on or off without a restart. But maybe someone knows

victor50, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Indeed, the op did not specify, that he used an advanced way of turning off UAC, using EnableLUA.

TairikuOkami, Aug 31, 2015
  11. sammnz Win User
    To be fair to OP, dragging the slider to the bottom doesn't disable UAC, and also doens't imply it is disabled.

OP: I have the same gripe as you. looks like it's turning back on until such time they reimplement the win8 version of calc.

sammnz, Sep 1, 2015
  12. victor50 Win User
    victor50, Sep 1, 2015
  13. Greg R Win User

I have a fix that will allow you to still keep UAC enabled, provide no prompting for a user, while still being able to run all Metro apps - calculator, Edge, weather, news, calendar, etc
    Either through Group Policy or Local Security Policy
    Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\SecuritySettings\Local Policies\Security Options

• User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account = Enabled

• User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode = Prompt for Credentials
    Next, make some registry changes ....
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    Make the following changes

• ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin 0x00000003 becomes 0x00000000

• ConsentPromptBehaviorUser 0x00000003 becomes 0x00000000

• EnableLUA 0x00000001 stays at 0x00000001
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI

• Change (Default) from the (value not set) to 0x00000001(1)
    Reboot your Windows 10 machine and enjoy all the metro apps that require UAC/escalation without the nags

Greg R, Feb 3, 2016
  14. Luisfm Win User
    Sir!! you made my day!

Luisfm, Feb 7, 2016
  15. Greg R Win User
    Glad I could help out.
    Took me awhile to find a solution that actually worked over and over again.

Greg R, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Cant open any Windows App with UAC disabled - Similar Threads - Cant open App

2. cant open settings all microsoft apps are disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant open settings all microsoft apps are disabled: All of my windows apps are greyed out/disabled or something? Including my settings, so i can't even try to fix the issue with normal tutorials or fixes. Also my microsoft store isn't/can't update apps or such including itself for some reason. All of the microsoft apps are...
  3. cant open settings all microsoft apps are disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open settings all microsoft apps are disabled: All of my windows apps are greyed out/disabled or something? Including my settings, so i can't even try to fix the issue with normal tutorials or fixes. Also my microsoft store isn't/can't update apps or such including itself for some reason. All of the microsoft apps are...
  4. I cant open any microsoft store app .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant open any microsoft store app .: When ever I try to open something in the store it tells :"Page could not be loaded . Please try again"Please fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-any-microsoft-store-app/1958495f-e530-4998-b969-e6754e8d6e72
  5. I cant open any microsoft store app .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant open any microsoft store app .: When ever I try to open something in the store it tells :"Page could not be loaded . Please try again"Please fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-any-microsoft-store-app/1958495f-e530-4998-b969-e6754e8d6e72
  6. Disabling UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling UAC: I just disabled UAC because “Rockstar Games Launcher” always gave me a notification about making changes to the pc and I always had to accept it. It got kinda annoying because it showed always when I launched GTA V. I disabled the UAC completely but now I’m kinda scared that...
  7. Disable UAC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable UAC: How do I log in as administrator on my personal laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-uac/a491df47-4ce9-4534-aeee-5be6de4c1b37
  8. Can't open any apps with UAC shield around it [Full details in comments]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open any apps with UAC shield around it [Full details in comments]: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ssp021 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e168ya/cant_open_any_apps_with_uac_shield_around_it_full/
  9. Cant open any apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant open any apps: Hi all, I just got a new computer and its got Microsoft edge installed as the default internet. Which is fine, I just cant seem to open any of my other programs because it will only let me use ones in its stall. So all my work apps don't work, I cant get chrome to download...
  10. Disable UAC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable UAC: With the earlier builds, I had UAC disabled in the registry( just as I do for my host machine Windows 8.0 Pro) and everything worked fine. It was in your sister forum eightforums tutorial that I learned how to disable UAC in Windows 8. I also use Start8 and Windowblinds on...