Windows 10: cant open any windows related program and start menu

Discus and support cant open any windows related program and start menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; so this problem started the other day where I was unable to open my start menu. thinking it was just some weird bug as my pc has a tendency of crashing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexanderKeam, Nov 5, 2018.

1. cant open any windows related program and start menu

so this problem started the other day where I was unable to open my start menu. thinking it was just some weird bug as my pc has a tendency of crashing (another issue) I thought it was due to this. The problem has persisted and I cannot find a way to fix it. what is funny is that I am able to access things like changing or connecting to different Wifi when not logged in through the app on the login screen, but it refuses to open once I am logged in. I have tried creating other accounts to rectify this, as it was said to fix this problem, I have also tried sfc/scannow which came up with nothing, as well as re-downloading all the Microsoft programs using admin cmd. Not sure what to do now, I have tried to reset the computer also but I believe it failed and ended up aborting the reset? any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

:)

AlexanderKeam, Nov 5, 2018

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Nov 5, 2018
  4. cant open any windows related program and start menu

Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

cant open any windows related program and start menu

1. cant open any windows related program and start menu - Similar Threads - cant open related

2. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs: Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling...
  3. HELP cant open any programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP cant open any programs: When i open some programs that are not in autostart they keep not responding and then close submitted by /u/Sunbeams_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lvxhbo/help_cant_open_any_programs/
  4. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  5. I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu: Been through half a dozen windows 10 installs trying to get it right! Im not sure at what point this happened as everything in there from hours/days ago works fine. I just installed GIMP2 as im working on fixing my busted iphone icons in devices & printers and I tried...
  6. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having now is when I...
  7. Can't open programs from the start menu

Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  8. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having...
  9. Start menu - Ownership related ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - Ownership related ?: Hi guys, Thank you for letting me join up *Smile I have related a Start-menu+App-store problem to taking over ownership via my Admin-profile. I simply cancels out both Notification-area, Start Menu, Logging in to my account (Microsoft). Actions taken = Locate...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...